2022-2023 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone that interviewed on 1/25 hear anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it bad to be on the waitlist? I heard that UMaryland's waitlist movement is fast, but from what I saw on MSAR, very few people get accepted out of the waitlist.

1677172821218.png

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlist won’t hear anything until May at the soonest, right? at least that’s what the waitlist notice made it sound like

Secondary submitted in July and still haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat? I went to UMD undergrad and they have all of my transcripts, letters of rec, etc. Should I assume R at this point? Fortunately I have an acceptance elsewhere.

Secondary submitted in July and still haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat? I went to UMD undergrad and they have all of my transcripts, letters of rec, etc. Should I assume R at this point? Fortunately I have an acceptance elsewhere.

This school has completed interviewing. They posted it on their IG when they did.

Reactions: 2 users
sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, I will be applying in a future cycle. based on the website and info session recording, it seems like UMSOM emphasizes clinical experiences that involve doctor-patient interactions, specifically shadowing, interpreting, and scribing. based on the experiences of people here who got in/interviewed here, are experiences like scribing and interpreting required? Beyond a few days of shadowing, I volunteer as an MA at a community clinic but I'm not sure if this is good for UMSOM's requirements.

I don’t think it’s “required” per se but probably helps although, there isn’t really any way to definitely answer your question. Personally, my job include scribing, medical coding, billing and population health but that doesn’t mean that everyone who got in might have similar experiences (actually, very unlikely).

Reactions: 1 user
sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, I will be applying in a future cycle. based on the website and info session recording, it seems like UMSOM emphasizes clinical experiences that involve doctor-patient interactions, specifically shadowing, interpreting, and scribing. based on the experiences of people here who got in/interviewed here, are experiences like scribing and interpreting required? Beyond a few days of shadowing, I volunteer as an MA at a community clinic but I'm not sure if this is good for UMSOM's requirements.
I think having scribing, shadowing, or some clinical patient interation-type of experience such as medical interpreting certainly doesn't hurt and can only strengthen your application. Definitely have at least one of those three, such as shadowing. But I wouldn't say its required because besides shadowing I didn't have any other kind of clinical experience. I had a research-heavy application, which helped my application and I think helped to offset my lack of clinical experience. Despite a lack of hands-on patient experience, I still got an II with UMaryland.

It’s definitely not a requirement. If anything, it just shows you have more experience being around doctors (which helps them tell wether or not you’ve been able to see what the day to day of a doctor actually is.) I think working as an MA is great. One of my classmates did that and that instead of scribing.

And I would say UMSOM emphasizes volunteering/service over everything else! I hear Dr. Quezada talk about service as something she/UMSOM looks for a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there was one A reported on the SDN MD/PhD acceptances thread. I was placed "on hold" last week. I don't know what this means.
I was accepted to the MSTP in late January; hopefully good news is coming towards you both soon.

For those who interviewed 1/25, iirc they mentioned about getting back to us with a decision more or less around 3/8. Is it possible that they could release a decision before 3/8 and phone call people for acceptance notices?

Last edited:
For those who interviewed 1/25, iirc they mentioned about getting back to us with a decision more or less around 3/8. Is it possible that they could release a decision before 3/8/phone call people for acceptance notices?
Had no clue they gave us a date. I’ve been sitting here stressed for no reason then 😭. To your actual question, I have no clue.

Had no clue they gave us a date. I’ve been sitting here stressed for no reason then 😭. To your actual question, I have no clue.
They mentioned that they would get back to us about an admissions decision in about 6 weeks more or less, so if we interviewed in 1/25, 6 weeks from now would be 3/8.

Pre-II R
In-state reapplicant
A little bummed I won't be able go to a school with low instate tuition to help with loan burden, but still grateful to have an acceptance elsewhere
Good luck to everyone else still in the running!

Reactions: 3 users
Just saw a new line in my application status that shows "Interview" with a lock next to it and the message "Under Review". This may mean that a Pre-II R is coming in the near future based off what others said about it on this thread as well as last year's thread. For now, all I can do is wait and see what happens.

• Wow
Just saw a new line in my application status that shows "Interview" with a lock next to it and the message "Under Review". This may mean that a Pre-II R is coming in the near future based off what others said about it on this thread as well as last year's thread. For now, all I can do is wait and see what happens.
same
rip

how long has it taken for ppl to hear back post interview. i know it says 4-6 weeks online but seems like it's taken longer

Has anyone got their fin aid package yet? I got a scholarship email and it included today as the day I would get the package offer

I checked the fin aid offer page of the SURFS website and it just crashes because there is no award year inputted, so not really sure lol.( That whole thing is really shotty). I would assume it shows up there and emails us when it does

Waitlisted at Maryland, Interviewed 1/25, complete 10/6, ORM, OOS, LM 70, WARS 71

Has anyone been accepted recently? It looks like on their social media they had the second look day last week, so I'm wondering if their class is already full.

Has anyone been accepted recently? It looks like on their social media they had the second look day last week, so I'm wondering if their class is already full.

According to the dean at our second look, she basically said that the the total number of people there was close to the number of people we will see in our class. Not sure what that means.

Reactions: 1 users
Class might be “full” as of now but some people will probably not enroll here and go somewhere else. So there should still be some WL movement! But that’s just dependent on what the students decide to do I think.

According to the dean at our second look, she basically said that the the total number of people there was close to the number of people we will see in our class. Not sure what that means.
How many people were at the second look or on the accepted GroupMe?

Class might be “full” as of now but some people will probably not enroll here and go somewhere else. So there should still be some WL movement! But that’s just dependent on what the students decide to do I think.
I'm not feeling optimistic about wait-list movement though. From what AMCAS said, only 15 acceptances were offered out of 200 waitlisted applicants.

Has anybody who interviewed on 2/1 heard back by any chance?

Does anyone know if there's a reason why they haven't sent out pre-II R's to everyone if they're done interviewing already?

Does anyone know if there's a reason why they haven't sent out pre-II R's to everyone if they're done interviewing already?

Unfortunately many schools ghost applicants OR wait till the absolute end of the cycle to send out those