2022-2023 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when they stop sending IIs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
MSTP interview received on 1/05/2023 for a 1/30-31 interview session, but withdrew today due to family circumstances and am also already holding an MSTP offer at another school that I would like to go to. Hopefully it goes to one of you all

Members don't see this ad :)
What evidence do you have to support this? No need to make neurotic people on this thread worry even more with baseless claims

I get that. There might be a marginal increase in your chances if you interview earlier but we don't want someone browing here who is interviewing late to think they have no chance. If they had no chance they wouldn't be interviewed in the first place.

Oh dang, I got a slim chance of acceptance if my interview is in late January cuz additionally, i'm OOS.

Oh dang, I got a slim chance of acceptance if my interview is in late January cuz additionally, i'm OOS.
nahh..take what that person said w/ a grain of salt lol...Harder is relative and their experience is a small sample size. I knew someone last year who interviewed beginning of February and got in 2 weeks later. All depends on what they're looking for, what you bring to the table and how well you interview. DO NOT give up hope.

Reactions: 9 users
nahh..take what that person said w/ a grain of salt lol...Harder is relative and their experience is a small sample size. I knew someone last year who interviewed beginning of February and got in 2 weeks later. All depends on what they're looking for, what you bring to the table and how well you interview. DO NOT give up hope.
This is reassuring, thanks! I gotta get good at explaining my research for interview purposes cuz I don't have much of a clue about what I have researched before.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea if I can get in state tuition after the first year if I am coming from another state?
Sorry for the late response! I didn’t get this as a notification lol but yes you can switch! I have classmates who are now considered in state. You will get a bunch of info on this from some of my classmates when you commit to UMSOM so don’t worry too much about it. You’ll have all the info you need to make the switch successfully!

It appears so from this thread that UMSOM haven’t interviewed too many IS ORMs yet this cycle. Is it correct observation? If so, what could possibly be the reason? Will there be any big movement this cycle for IS ORMs? Thank you in advance.
Can’t really use SDN as a correct representation of the all the students interviewed so I would say that isn’t correct. But I can say for certain that UMSOM isn’t actively trying to decrease the number of IS ORM they interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, since seats fill up. So it’s likely that late interview applicants will be waitlisted. There is also not a lot of movement in the waitlist.
UMSOM usually has pretty good waitlist movement. A bunch of my classmates were accepted off the waitlist. So if you get a WL, you still have a chance to be accepted!

Yeah exactly! Although technically interviewing a little later is less favorable (just like at every school with rolling admissions) because they’ve given out a bunch of acceptances by that time and they can only give out so many of them. However, I do think that they ration the acceptances so that students who interview later are not at a huge disadvantage compared to other students who interview earlier. (This isn’t 100% though, I’m just going off of whispers I’ve heard around school I think)

interview on Feb 1, notified just now. does anyone have any insight on the format of the interview?
2 ~40 min traditional interviews. One faculty, one student or two faculty. We see everything except your grades and scores.

UMSOM usually has pretty good waitlist movement. A bunch of my classmates were accepted off the waitlist. So if you get a WL, you still have a chance to be accepted!
Isn’t the waitlist movement just 20 students every year?

Reactions: 1 user
Isn’t the waitlist movement just 20 students every year?
Is 20 considered little movement? I thought/think that’s a good amount. Sorry if I made it seem like a lot more than that. I just personally thought it was good movement.

2 ~40 min traditional interviews. One faculty, one student or two faculty. We see everything except your grades and scores.
So it's pretty open file, like you'll see almost everything in our AMCAS application (county we're from, experiences, meaningful experiences, colleges attended, personal statement), just no GPA nor MCAT?

So it's pretty open file, like you'll see almost everything in our AMCAS application (county we're from, experiences, meaningful experiences, colleges attended, personal statement), just no GPA nor MCAT?
Yup. LORs too.

Going to assume I'm not getting an II at this point ?

I got the under active review email a few weeks ago :(

I received an II yesterday for the MD/Master's program, but on the portal it says they first sent out an invitation last week and my email yesterday was the second one they sent. No email ever came through on the date they have listed, so I don't know what happened there. Maybe a reason to check your "communication status" page!

Reactions: 2 users
I received an II yesterday for the MD/Master's program, but on the portal it says they first sent out an invitation last week and my email yesterday was the second one they sent. No email ever came through on the date they have listed, so I don't know what happened there. Maybe a reason to check your "communication status" page!

good to know they're still sending IIs... Really hoping for one!

Did you check spam? I know almost all my UMSOM emails went to spam first

Anyone with a late November interview hear back?
I think they are a little bit behind due to the holiday break. They review the interviews in order (if I remember correctly) so they are probably getting to those interviews right about now.

I think they are a little bit behind due to the holiday break. They review the interviews in order (if I remember correctly) so they are probably getting to those interviews right about now.
Thank you. Fingers crossed!!

Hello guysssss. Just got accepted. Cant believe it. Interviewed 11/30.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Just got my R today this morning. UMSOM has been my top choice for ages so I’m pretty bummed. Best of luck to you all!

IS, complete 7/15, LM 74 ORM

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just got my R today this morning. UMSOM has been my top choice for ages so I’m pretty bummed. Best of luck to you all!

IS, complete 7/15, LM 74 ORM
Sorry to hear :( if you don't mind me asking, was this pre- or post-II?

neurotic o'clock here -- I logged on to my portal to see a new line for interview with a little lock next to it o_O
Wasn't there earlier today so there is some movement going on! Hopefully good news...

neurotic o'clock here -- I logged on to my portal to see a new line for interview with a little lock next to it o_O
Wasn't there earlier today so there is some movement going on! Hopefully good news...
there was some discussion of locks in last year's thread! i can't remember what it said exactly, but it was on one of the last few pages iirc

there was some discussion of locks in last year's thread! i can't remember what it said exactly, but it was on one of the last few pages iirc
I'm just taking it as they are looking at my application again!

My portal status has the Interview row with the lock and “Under Review.” written under it too, praying for good news

congrats. I'm assuming if someone didn't get that, it's basically an R lol

what's the difference between under active review and a hold?
Not necessarily, I’m pretty sure I got something similar last year and was still rejected lmao. Difference between active review and hold I’m assuming is they haven’t looked at your application yet vs they have and haven’t made a decision.

Just got waitlisted :( would they accept additional LOR's sent through AMCAS or their portal? If it even makes a difference lol.

Just got waitlisted :( would they accept additional LOR's sent through AMCAS or their portal? If it even makes a difference lol.
I'm sorry to hear this, when did you interview if you don't mind me asking?

Hm I also logged in to the portal today to see the little lock next to interview with "Under Review" next to it... I checked last year's thread and it looks like it might mean that they're no longer sending out interview invites :(

Last edited: