2022-2023 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @Pekkle for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 UC Irvine Secondary Essay Prompts (1500 characters max, each)

1. What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why?

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge or disappointment you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience.

3. (Optional) Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community.

4. This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. If you have just received or will receive your undergraduate degree this year, please discuss your plans for current year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of California Irvine School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
IS (but from NorCal) recieved! Verified 07/06

Is and very close to me. Secondary received just now.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS. Secondary received today around 8am. Verified on 6/14/22. I have some relatives living in OC, so maybe that helps?

IS, Secondary received today; submitted today. Anyone have letters of rec not show up in the status page?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys doing for the activities section?

"Please list those activities that are most important to you, for the most part these include activities listed on your AMCAS application. This information will serve as a summary of your key activities and will be used by the Admissions Committee when screening your application."

IS verified 6/14 no secondary. Screened out?🤠

for activities section are you guys including any kind of description for the activities or just the name of the activity itself?

IS and live very close to Uci . Still hasn’t received secondary for Uci . Checked even the spam folder. I’m not sure what they are looking for?
Me too. Literally work walking distance from them. I think it’s just a slow burn of getting them out since they screen

Would LGBT+ apply to #3? I usually only write about it if a school specifically mentions (as UCLA did) it as I do not want to overstep, and I have not been personally marginalized, while it is common in my community. Would love to hear thoughts here!

How are you all reporting hours per week on activities? I never completely stopped commitments but hours varied significantly depending on midterm season, school break, etc. I was thinking of dividing hours by # of weeks between the two dates, but then it looks like I'm trying to claim I was doing 80h of work weekly during school when some were events every month or I would work OT for a few weeks during school breaks.

How are you all reporting hours per week on activities? I never completely stopped commitments but hours varied significantly depending on midterm season, school break, etc. I was thinking of dividing hours by # of weeks between the two dates, but then it looks like I'm trying to claim I was doing 80h of work weekly during school when some were events every month or I would work OT for a few weeks during school breaks.
and off of this, how many activities are you doing? It seems weird to do my whole primary again and I'm assuming thats not what they want, but i would have to leave things off and have that be why i get screened out.

and off of this, how many activities are you doing? It seems weird to do my whole primary again and I'm assuming thats not what they want, but i would have to leave things off and have that be why i get screened out.
I basically re-input all my activities from my primary

I put the things I would list as "most meaningful" if I was not limited to 3 by AMCAS. So, I ended up listing my 3 most meaningfuls, from AMCAS, plus 2 more.

I put the things I would list as "most meaningful" if I was not limited to 3 by AMCAS. So, I ended up listing my 3 most meaningfuls, from AMCAS, plus 2 more.
yeah this is what I was thinking as well, as i was thinking they wouldnt want everything, but i also dont want to list too few things and then theyre like ok... and? what else did you do

From SoCal, but did my undergrad OOS. Secondary received this morning. Verified 6/27

IS secondary received this morning!

• Care
did you include shadowing?
I did not. My shadowing was not particularly meaningful to me. If it is for you, and you can discuss it, then I say go for it. I included a couple clinical experiences, a couple volunteering experience, and a hobby. I made my choice because I thought they would provide a good overview of me as an applicant without reiterating things (some of my activities are similar to each other and I did not want to be redundant.)

I did not. My shadowing was not particularly meaningful to me. If it is for you, and you can discuss it, then I say go for it. I included a couple clinical experiences, a couple volunteering experience, and a hobby. I made my choice because I thought they would provide a good overview of me as an applicant without reiterating things (some of my activities are similar to each other and I did not want to be redundant.)
I did the same thing! They have our primary already so i'm just focusing on what was most important to me and things I can talk extensively about

Just realized I read that last prompt totally wrong after submitting. I didn't fill out what I was going to do throughout the year (I did indiciate what I am doing on AMCAS the activities I am continuing though) ...I thought it was only addressing those who were taking a gap year. RIP.