You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 UC San Francisco
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey y'all! I've heard that mission-fit is really important for UCSF, but haven't seemed to be able to find anything specific about the UCSF mission aside from people insinuating "what you would expect for a school in San Fran". Does anyone have any insight on this? Like anyone I'd love to go here, but am just curious about my chances of getting a secondary.
Context: I am an OOS nontrad with a former career in ecological conservation, am trans & queer, did ~2 years as an AmeriCorp building a trans health program for homeless trans folks, and have >1000 hours in non-clinical volunteering with LGBTQ+ youth. Pretty much my entire app is built around trans and LGBTQ+ health access tbh. Lower stats in undergrad due to homelessness (3.2-3.3 range), but a good post-bacc (3.8ish). Thank you all!
Context: I am an OOS nontrad with a former career in ecological conservation, am trans & queer, did ~2 years as an AmeriCorp building a trans health program for homeless trans folks, and have >1000 hours in non-clinical volunteering with LGBTQ+ youth. Pretty much my entire app is built around trans and LGBTQ+ health access tbh. Lower stats in undergrad due to homelessness (3.2-3.3 range), but a good post-bacc (3.8ish). Thank you all!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1139705
Everyone who got secondaries...did you have your LOR submitted?
flymflam314
Full Member
Has anyone gotten rejections yet? I dont have a secondary application but also do not have a rejection
futurodr11
Full Member
Hi was there additional questions besides the 3 posted? Like the program specific questions?Received secondary at 5 pm yesterday. IS.
reinforced
Full Member
I did not have them submitted.Everyone who got secondaries...did you have your LOR submitted?
If i havent received a UCSF secondary invite by now, is it safe to say I wont get one? deciding whether or not to prewrite theirs...
If i havent received a UCSF secondary invite by now, is it safe to say I wont get one? deciding whether or not to prewrite theirs...
People received secondaries from them into October last cycle
they are barely starting to send out secondaries 🙂If i havent received a UCSF secondary invite by now, is it safe to say I wont get one? deciding whether or not to prewrite theirs...
dopaminedeficient
Full Member
OOS MSTP secondary received, LORs received by AMCAS yesterday (letter packet) so I have no idea if they actually have them yet
Regular MD received last night
flyon_littlewing9587
Full Member
When were you verifiedRegular MD received last night
6/2When were you verified
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WeOutHereWaiting
Full Member
Congrats! but damn they are still on 6/7 😢😢IS secondary received tonight; verified 6/7
OOS with no ties, but I was verified on 6/27 and received a secondary on 7/12. Not sure how they’re deciding to send them outCongrats! but damn they are still on 6/7 😢😢
Is it normal I still haven't received a secondary? I'm IS URM with high MCAT and GPA. Also verified 6/3. Getting nervous 🙁
themagictaco
Full Member
Just from stalking the previous threads from past years, a lot of people who are verified very early get secondary later (like in August) There was someone who was verified day one and got the secondary 14 weeks later lol. Also a lot of people who got the secondary late who ended up getting in. UCSF very random school. I think we will be okay.
URM has no bearing in CAIs it normal I still haven't received a secondary? I'm IS URM with high MCAT and GPA. Also verified 6/3. Getting nervous 🙁
WeOutHereWaiting
Full Member
UCSF is still committed to having a class with high URM percentage despite affirmative action being banned in CA. I think 30 or so percent of their matriculants are URMURM has no bearing in CA
themagictaco
Full Member
lol just got my secondary IS, verified 6/1
dr.socrates
Full Member
52X MCAT and 3.9 GPA, URM, but no secondary 🙁((( starting to get worried (verified 7/11)
flyon_littlewing9587
Full Member
fam the post before was verified day2 and just received the secondary. Relax52X MCAT and 3.9 GPA, URM, but no secondary 🙁((( starting to get worried (verified 7/11)
WeOutHereWaiting
Full Member
Just received secondary submitted 6/3, verified 6/27. I recommend people who submitted 6/4 or 6/5 to start prewriting. Good luck everyone!
dr.socrates
Full Member
oh word my fault, i misread that as ppl who submitted on those days. sounds good g, will chill outfam the post before was verified day2 and just received the secondary. Relax
Don't stress about not hearing back about secondaries yet! Got in here last year, verified late July and didn't get a secondary until a couple days before Christmas. Interviewed Jan and got an offer in Feb.
WeOutHereWaiting
Full Member
Damn that is crazy! congrats!Don't stress about not hearing back about secondaries yet! Got in here last year, verified late July and didn't get a secondary until a couple days before Christmas. Interviewed Jan and got an offer in Feb.
What percentage of students get secondaries?
I think I read that about 40% of applicants get secondariesWhat percentage of students get secondaries?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just received my secondary ~5 min ago. in state & verified 6/3/22!
Last edited:
+1! IS, submitted 6/3, verified 6/24just received my secondary ~5 min ago. in state!
Last edited:
D
deleted1130038
same!!!!! 😀
D
deleted1130038
quick question - would lgbt+ count for #3? I usually only write about it if it specifically mentions it, because while my community has been marginalized, I havent.
pipluprulez
Full Member
for question number one, is it okay to use your activities to pivot into a why us? they don't have a space for it so I'm leading towards that but I'm not entirely sure if its a good idea
I think it would be very wise to incorporate a paragraph that would answer the "why us?" question. Be sure to be specific about how UCSF's programs complement your activities!for question number one, is it okay to use your activities to pivot into a why us? they don't have a space for it so I'm leading towards that but I'm not entirely sure if its a good idea
Do you think it would hurt me if I just talked about the things I've been doing this summer (both not super related to medicine) and then related them back to my desire for medicine?I think it would be very wise to incorporate a paragraph that would answer the "why us?" question. Be sure to be specific about how UCSF's programs complement your activities!
Last edited:
There is already a space for doing that in another prompt (the, "what have you been/plan to be doing since graduating?" prompt.) Use this space to expand your narrative as an applicant (who you are as a person), relate it back to some valuable skill(s) you will learned and will bring to medicine or why it was meaningful, and, ideally, include something about how UCSF's programs will complement this activity or allow you to use/cultivate those skills you learned.Do you think it would hurt me if I just talked about the things I've been doing this summer (both not super related to medicine) and then related them back to my desire for medicine?
This is how I am approaching the question anyway.
There is already a space for doing that in another prompt (the, "what have you been/plan to be doing since graduating?" prompt.) Use this space to expand your narrative as an applicant (who you are as a person), relate it back to some valuable skill(s) you will learned and will bring to medicine or why it was meaningful, and, ideally, include something about how UCSF's programs will complement this activity or allow you to use/cultivate those skills you learned.
This is how I am approaching the question anyway.
I haven't graduated yet though, should I have still put it up there? I didn't relate my answer super well back to UCSF though so I might have messed up there
In that case, I think that's fine. If you really wanted to use it, you could use talk about what you plan to do upon graduating and how you hope to grow as a person through these planned experiences.I haven't graduated yet though, should I have still put it up there? I didn't relate my answer super well back to UCSF though so I might have messed up there
The question does not explicitly ask you to relate it back to UCSF, I just think it's kind of a bonus point if you do so. If you simply stuck to the prompt and answered it well, you'll be fine and hopefully garner one of those coveted interview invites.
I didn't know they had such a hard screen. Where did you read this from?
Pre-secondary screening process at the University of California Med Schools
How rigorous are the pre-secondary screening processes at the UC medical schools? (UCSF, UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UCSD.) Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get secondaries? (Specifically I want separate percentages for out-of-state and in-state applicants.) Thanks!
Not sure if there is a more official source for how many people get secondaries but from what I've seen the 40% estimate seems pretty consistent
Last edited:
D
deleted1139705
Recieved secondary today. OOS LM 74
D
deleted1135362
when were you verified?Recieved secondary today. OOS LM 74
D
deleted1022805
Has anyone verified 7/11 are later received a secondary? Is there certain score cutoffs for secondaries?
I was verified 6/23 and haven't received a UCSF secondary lmao.Has anyone verified 7/11 are later received a secondary? Is there certain score cutoffs for secondaries?
This was taken directly from their website though:
"After UCSF receives your application from AMCAS and performs a preliminary review, selected candidates will be invited to complete a secondary application. Typically, you will be notified about submitting a secondary application approximately 3-10 weeks after receipt of your verified AMCAS data."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1139705
My primary was sent to schools by June 24th.when were you verified?
D
deleted1022805
Oh shoot wut bruhI was verified 6/23 and haven't received a UCSF secondary lmao.
This was taken directly from their website though:
"After UCSF receives your application from AMCAS and performs a preliminary review, selected candidates will be invited to complete a secondary application. Typically, you will be notified about submitting a secondary application approximately 3-10 weeks after receipt of your verified AMCAS data."
Sorry just wanted to bump this! If anyone can share the JMP prompt that would be awesome. Thanks so much.Would someone be able to share the JMP and PRIME-US prompts for me? Curious what those will be this cycle. Thank you so much!
From their secondary: "Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)
I am half Mexican, and have always been unsure whether that makes me URM or not. My grandparents immigrated from Mexico right before they had my mom, and I grew up speaking Spanish, though it didn't stick past the age of ~6. But I have white skin and was raised in a financially stable household in a relatively wealthy city. Am I able to / should I answer this question and talk about my ethnicity even if I don't feel that my access to education or healthcare has been hindered by it in any way growing up?
I am half Mexican, and have always been unsure whether that makes me URM or not. My grandparents immigrated from Mexico right before they had my mom, and I grew up speaking Spanish, though it didn't stick past the age of ~6. But I have white skin and was raised in a financially stable household in a relatively wealthy city. Am I able to / should I answer this question and talk about my ethnicity even if I don't feel that my access to education or healthcare has been hindered by it in any way growing up?
You don't have to be URM to be able to answer this question. If you don't feel like you were personally impacted, you can focus more on ways other people are (especially if you can back that knowledge up with experiences).From their secondary: "Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)
I am half Mexican, and have always been unsure whether that makes me URM or not. My grandparents immigrated from Mexico right before they had my mom, and I grew up speaking Spanish, though it didn't stick past the age of ~6. But I have white skin and was raised in a financially stable household in a relatively wealthy city. Am I able to / should I answer this question and talk about my ethnicity even if I don't feel that my access to education or healthcare has been hindered by it in any way growing up?