2022-2023 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard on the Youtube Live session that they will be only considering the last 30 hours of science classes? Can someone clarify what this means? Do they not look at your other science grades at all then?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard on the Youtube Live session that they will be only considering the last 30 hours of science classes? Can someone clarify what this means? Do they not look at your other science grades at all then?
I imagine they look at everything, but the biggest weight will be given to the last 30. Definitely a major fan of this approach for reinventors like myself.

I think someone was asking them if they had a chance of admission with a lower GPA early in college which then improved. The responder said the more recent grades would hold more weight in that case.

There were a couple of other inaccuracies on their slides about the application deadlines:
1. They said official transcripts were required for a complete application (TMDSAS does not require transcripts to be sent until a person has an offer of admission - Enrique Jasso gently corrected this during the Live session.)
2. They said you would need your secondaries and your essays turned in. The secondaries "are" the essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine they look at everything, but the biggest weight will be given to the last 30. Definitely a major fan of this approach for reinventors like myself.
I think someone was asking them if they had a chance of admission with a lower GPA early in college which then improved. The responder said the more recent grades would hold more weight in that case.

There were a couple of other inaccuracies on their slides about the application deadlines:
1. They said official transcripts were required for a complete application (TMDSAS does not require transcripts to be sent until a person has an offer of admission - Enrique Jasso gently corrected this during the Live session.)
2. They said you would need your secondaries and your essays turned in. The secondaries "are" the essays.
This makes sense. I was just wondering if they are truly ONLY considering the last 30 hours. I have heard that some schools like Wayne State and LSU NOLA will recalculate your GPA based on your last 30 or 32 hours and consider that as your GPA.

Is anyone else still missing their duet score from the status checklist? My casper score is in, but I'm still missing my duet score. I just want to know if this is something that I can reach out to Altus to get addressed.

Reactions: 1 user
This makes sense. I was just wondering if they are truly ONLY considering the last 30 hours. I have heard that some schools like Wayne State and LSU NOLA will recalculate your GPA based on your last 30 or 32 hours and consider that as your GPA.
No I don’t think so

Is anyone else still missing their duet score from the status checklist? My casper score is in, but I'm still missing my duet score. I just want to know if this is something that I can reach out to Altus to get addressed.
Mine is missing as well, but other schools I applied to said it was delivered.

Has anyone with an app transmitted on or after 07/08 received a secondary invite?

For the prerequisites tab, under the chemistry section, it says "a total of 9 semester hours with 3 labs". Does anyone know if this means 3 semester hours of labs or 3 lab courses? I watched the welcome video and they didn't clarify or I may have missed where they clarified.

For the prerequisites tab, under the chemistry section, it says "a total of 9 semester hours with 3 labs". Does anyone know if this means 3 semester hours of labs or 3 lab courses? I watched the welcome video and they didn't clarify or I may have missed where they clarified.
it would be 3 semester hours of lab

oh hm interesting, mine still is having issues. thank you!
That’s weird. Mine was fine and they sent an email out saying it was resolved. Send them an email or call!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received, transmitted July 8th !!

Submitted June 27 and they're only on the 17 for verifications. I am dying inside.

+1, are they sending them manually? I haven't seen any other schools send them at different times for everyone
I have a feeling they're going alphabetical by last name based on me and my friends lol

Does anyone know how many people they plan on interviewing this year?

I got the secondary yesterday and I had submitted my tmdsas app/ was transmitted very early so dont feel discouraged if you haven’t received it yet

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone else’s portal say “not received” for casper and duet? I sent them a month ago.

Reactions: 2 users
This secondary is taking me longer than anything else to write

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone actually received this secondary? Or is it based on pre-screening? I saw the prompts posted above and have them pre-written but don't have any secondary from here yet.

Has anyone actually received this secondary? Or is it based on pre-screening? I saw the prompts posted above and have them pre-written but don't have any secondary from here yet.

It's been sent and received it just appears to be on a very sporadic or slow basis. Don't worry about it yet if you meet minimum requirements

I think you're required to have a 492 or greater MCAT score and a 3.0 or higher on the last 30 hr credits of your BCPM.
Those numbers allow you to apply but nowhere close to an interview/admit.

Those numbers allow you to apply but nowhere close to an interview/admit.
They stated in their video that the admissions committee is blind to mcat and gpa when students meet the initial qualification because they really want to take a holistic approach. The admissions committee will look at all qualifications that does not include your academics to make a decision.

They stated in their video that the admissions committee is blind to mcat and gpa when students meet the initial qualification because they really want to take a holistic approach. The admissions committee will look at all qualifications that does not include your academics to make a decision.
They talk about their approach in their interview with TMDSAS.

yes but those numbers probably but the student in the lowest stat quartile

It would be naive to think a 3.0 and 492 will get you accepted. Maybe you might be lucky enough to get an interview, but once the committee meets it’d be tough to accept you. The data shows someone in that stat range is less likely to progress to clinical rotations on time.

I do think UT Tyler will be holistic, but those grades are too low to warrant an acceptance at the vast majority of medical schools.

It would be naive to think a 3.0 and 492 will get you accepted. Maybe you might be lucky enough to get an interview, but once the committee meets it’d be tough to accept you. The data shows someone in that stat range is less likely to progress to clinical rotations on time.

I do think UT Tyler will be holistic, but those grades are too low to warrant an acceptance at the vast majority of medical schools.
I understand what you're saying about how low the stats are. I was pretty surprised myself, but I was just answering the question above for someone that asked about the required MCAT/GPA. Also, just know although it is tougher for people with lower MCAT/GPA to get into medical school, it is very much possible. There have been tons of people with steller academic stats that have been rejected to medical school. The main thing about UT Tyler seems to be getting students that match their mission statement and values. Every medical school is also different. Some seem to place more emphasis on GPA/MCAT while others like UT Tyler may not. I guess we just have to wait it out to see their approach. Hope you understand where I'm coming from!

I understand what you're saying about how low the stats are. I was pretty surprised myself, but I was just answering the question above for someone that asked about the required MCAT/GPA. Also, just know although it is tougher for people with lower MCAT/GPA to get into medical school, it is very much possible. There have been tons of people with steller academic stats that have been rejected to medical school. The main thing about UT Tyler seems to be getting students that match their mission statement and values. Every medical school is also different. Some seem to place more emphasis on GPA/MCAT while others like UT Tyler may not. I guess we just have to wait it out to see their approach. Hope you understand where I'm coming from!
Yeah I definitely see where you’re coming from! I also think UT Tyler is going to be very holistic. Just based off of their secondaries they really care about ties to East Texas and improving healthcare there. I imagine the #1 is recruiting students that will practice and stay in East texas

Yeah I definitely see where you’re coming from! I also think UT Tyler is going to be very holistic. Just based off of their secondaries they really care about ties to East Texas and improving healthcare there. I imagine the #1 is recruiting students that will practice and stay in East texas
I definitely agree with you!

The application limits usually list the bare minimum numbers the school is willing to accept. There are some leeway points for various considerations like being a native of east Texas, minorities etc but you will find MSAR numbers that will be no where close to these for the bottom 10% of the attending class when someone checks next year.

I'm very curious as to how many Eastern Texan applicants there are. In future years, maybe they will adopt a similar EDP to UTRGV, which is limited to applicants from the region.

I'm very curious as to how many Eastern Texan applicants there are. In future years, maybe they will adopt a similar EDP to UTRGV, which is limited to applicants from the region.
This is their first application year so we'll wait & see how things turn out.

I’m an East Texas applicant. Was born and raised here my whole life.

UT Tyler is also a pretty big school, I imagine there’s a decent amount of premeds there. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have 200-300 premeds applying this year.

Thanks for sharing, should give them a great selection already. I went to undergrad out of state so I sometimes don't know as much about the in-state programs.

Thanks for sharing, should give them a great selection already. I went to undergrad out of state so I sometimes don't know as much about the in-state programs.
Of course. And that’s just a guesstimate based off the undergraduate size compared to my own undergrad in Texas.

It is interesting tho on who they might accept. In the video they stated they expect to accept students from all over Texas, but the way the secondary prompts are worded makes it very difficult to answer them without at least some connection to East Texas and/or primary care/mental health.

I’m an East Texas applicant. Was born and raised here my whole life.

UT Tyler is also a pretty big school, I imagine there’s a decent amount of premeds there. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have 200-300 premeds applying this year.
Do you go to UT Tyler? That looks like a large selection pool internal to the school!

Do you go to UT Tyler? That looks like a large selection pool internal to the school!
Our (utt) premed advisors said that they typically have 80-120 TMDSAS letter packets sent out but that includes dental and vet.