2023-2024 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any guesses for when the first wave of decisions will come out this month?

Members don't see this ad.

Does Hopkins generally accept a higher proportion of people earlier (e.g. Dec 15) than they would later in the cycle (e.g. March)? Or is it a constant post-II A % throughout?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Hopkins generally accept a higher proportion of people earlier (e.g. Dec 15) than they would later in the cycle (e.g. March)? Or is it a constant post-II A % throughout?
Sadly I don't think anyone knows this kind of statistic beside the adcom. Given that there is a higher density of candidates towards to the beginning of the cycle, and those candidates are on average likely to be more prepared than those who submit later, it's maybe possible. If it's any help though my understanding for Hopkins is that they will release A's and R's on the 15th so that no one will be left hanging: If you were told you would find out on the 15th you will find out your decision, good or bad.

Last edited:
hi! has anyone who has sent an update letter after a nov interview heard back? Getting nervous as they said they'd look at our files this week and I have no idea if they've seen my letter :,)

I interviewed September and haven’t sent an update letter 🫨 I don’t really have anything substantial to say. Should I send one now to affirm my interest?

What are you expecting to hear? I think decisions first come out 12/15. Not sure you would hear anything before that.
I was wondering if anyone had gotten a confirmation! When I sent my thank you notes I got a confirmation email, I'm wondering if anyone sent an update letter and got a confirmation email/response from admissions.

I interviewed September and haven’t sent an update letter 🫨 I don’t really have anything substantial to say. Should I send one now to affirm my interest?
Tbh I think our fate is likely already sealed. Not to worry though I don't think anything was strictly necessary, I didn't send an update either. Fingers crossed for next week :)

I was wondering if anyone had gotten a confirmation! When I sent my thank you notes I got a confirmation email, I'm wondering if anyone sent an update letter and got a confirmation email/response from admissions.
I interviewed early november, sent in an update letter last sunday, and heard back yesterday that they have added it to my file

Does anyone happen to know which round of decisions you'll be included in if you interview in January?

Does anyone happen to know which round of decisions you'll be included in if you interview in January?
Interviewed today and they said we were the last round that would be included in the wave at the end of January (at the latest).

Reactions: 1 users
Question about decisions. Let's assume the first round is 12/15. Does everyone eligible for that round get an A or R that day, or are there some who do not get a decision, in a sense deferred to next round like NYU continued review. According to website A and R are sent that day, but it isn't clear if everyone gets a decision or only those that are accepted or rejected. Hope that makes sense.
In my interview they said you could be "deferred" aka radio silence until the next wave

Members don't see this ad :)
In my interview they said you could be "deferred" aka radio silence until the next wave
Are you sure? From everything I’ve heard / seen, even at my interview, I’m pretty sure everyone eligible gets an A/WL/R that day.

anyone that interviewed today know if there is a place that lists our interviewers' names and contact info? I can't seem to find anything on the portal

I interviewed early november, sent in an update letter last sunday, and heard back yesterday that they have added it to my file
If others didn't hear back, should we reach out to Ms. Mazza again? Does anyone have thoughts?

I am holding on to one more small accepted pub update. If the 12/15 decision will be my final decision from them, should I shoot it out now instead of holding on to it? I am holding on to it for other schools that send decisions later.

I am holding on to one more small accepted pub update. If the 12/15 decision will be my final decision from them, should I shoot it out now instead of holding on to it? I am holding on to it for other schools that send decisions later.
If our final decisions are Friday I think likely it will have no impact at this point. If (I'm praying this doesn't happen for anyone) your decision is somehow deferred I think it would be more worth at that point, at least that's my plan

If our final decisions are Friday I think likely it will have no impact at this point. If (I'm praying this doesn't happen for anyone) your decision is somehow deferred I think it would be more worth at that point, at least that's my plan
Ripperoni

I might still hair Mary it because either I get in or get rejected and in either case it doesn't matter. Slim chance someone sees it today (copium)

I would hold on to it in case of a WL decision. If you send it now it might get overlooked since you will find out next week. However, if you end up getting waitlisted then it is a great addition to add/mention interest.

Reactions: 2 users
I would hold on to it in case of a WL decision. If you send it now it might get overlooked since you will find out next week. However, if you end up getting waitlisted then it is a great addition to add/mention interest.
You might be right. It's not a big update either so yeah I guess I'll hold off and hope for a WL

You might be right. It's not a big update either so yeah I guess I'll hold off and hope for a WL
If it makes you feel any better, I haven’t sent any updates post-II and don’t have any pubs :). I think you are an extremely talented applicant (given all the IIs and As you’ve gotten so far), and I think the admissions committee will see that even without this update.

• Care
I personally think I would send it, the committee will still have it in your file even if you get WL'ed. There also is a small chance that they're still discussing and could consider it even if you send it now

Last edited:
  • Wow
So with decisions coming this week (likely Friday), how are we expecting them? Email? Portal? Phone calls for A’s?

Hard to tell from last year because I can’t figure out how to see time stamps but it seems they came in morning and none of the acceptances mentioned a call, so it sounds like morning email and/or portal. Anyone else have any clue?
Based off this message from last year it is emailed directly to you
Glad they announced directly in the email versus sending a vague “your decision is in the portal” email like they usually do! Huge congrats to everyone who got the A - hope to see you Second Look, and best of luck everyone for the rest of this app cycle.

*Internally screaming in anticipation of Friday*

...Just me?

I never know if these include WL->A or not haha, because of they do them the true A rate is probably closer to like 35% or something.
Overall acceptance rate always includes waitlists which turn into acceptances.

On MSAR, it says that Hopkins offers ~25 acceptances from the waitlist. Looking at the Class of 2027 statistics, this would mean that the acceptance rate is likely around 41% if we account for the waitlist offers. But the waitlist offers can vary from year to year, so I don't know how accurate this is haha

On MSAR, it says that Hopkins offers ~25 acceptances from the waitlist. Looking at the Class of 2027 statistics, this would mean that the acceptance rate is likely around 41% if we account for the waitlist offers. But the waitlist offers can vary from year to year, so I don't know how accurate this is haha
Did some quick math, with that acceptance rate and assuming a constant interview rate across the cycle, ~250 will get their decisions tomorrow and ~100 will be accepted.

Math breakdown from last year's numbers : 591 interviews across the whole cycle, Interviews from August to October will receive decisions this week which is 3 months out of the 7 months they interview: 591*3/7=~250. 250*.4=~100

Last edited:
Did some quick math, with that acceptance rate and assuming a constant interview rate across the cycle, ~250 will get their decisions tomorrow and ~100 will be accepted.

Math breakdown from last year's numbers : 591 interviews across the whole cycle, Interviews from August to October will receive decisions tomorrow which is 3 months out of the 7 months they interview: 591*3/7=~250. 250*.4=~100
Tomorrow?

Also, in a podcast, JHU says they have smaller interview days towards beginning of the cycle (I.e interview less people) which may skew that a little bit

So glad Hopkins is one of the schools that sends IIs all the way into February... I spent literally ~25 hours on my secondary here and it served as the basis for a lot of my other secondaries. I'm generally very conservative about II chances but I SWEAR this is the one school where they just need to see it and I've got a shot

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Also, in a podcast, JHU says they have smaller interview days towards beginning of the cycle (I.e interview less people) which may skew that a little bit
+1. On recent my interview day the student doing the Q&A remarked about the session having more students than he was used to

Last edited:
+1. On my interview day the student doing the Q&A remarked about the session having more students than he was used to
More or less students? For what it's worth my interview day only had 7 students....?

So glad Hopkins is one of the schools that sends IIs all the way into February... I spent literally ~25 hours on my secondary here and it served as the basis for a lot of my other secondaries. I'm generally very conservative about II chances but I SWEAR this is the one school where they just need to see it and I've got a shot
When you get an II, I won't be surprised, lol. Honestly, if you applied early, the amount of IIs you would have would be overwhelming, but since you are going to standord or harvard I feel like the way you did it was the right way lol.

More or less students? For what it's worth my interview day only had 7 students....?
More. Sorry forgot to specify that my interview day was recent, and there were like ~17 I think?

• Wow
+1. On recent my interview day the student doing the Q&A remarked about the session having more students than he was used to
wait i remember that happened on my day. was it december 8? did i just share an interview day with one of the SDN legends??

wait i remember that happened on my day. was it december 8? did i just share an interview day with one of the SDN legends??
You don’t have to gas me up that hard lol but yes

• Haha
  • Love
Do each interview really last an hour in this school? Or is it common for it to end early?