2023-2024 Kaiser Permanente (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @ShawarmaExtraToum for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Kaiser Secondary Essay Prompts

1. During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter obstacles, and be required to overcome challenges. Please describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome, including your reaction, how you might have responded differently, and what you learned about yourself. (250 words)

2. Kaiser Permanente is committed to advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity for all. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine? (250 words)

3. Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development. This includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Please tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you’re passionate about, and your approach to exploring this area. (250 words)

4. (Optional) Please describe how you have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (no limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an issue with the title of this thread. Should be for Kaiser but the first post says Wake Forest currently

Reactions: 1 users
I am confused on why prompt #3 has something about constructive feedback? Are they wanting us to address another time something happened and then got feedback about it, like question #1? I don't know how that is important to the rest of prompt 3. Anyone have an idea/approach to that?

Reactions: 1 user
I am confused on why prompt #3 has something about constructive feedback? Are they wanting us to address another time something happened and then got feedback about it, like question #1? I don't know how that is important to the rest of prompt 3. Anyone have an idea/approach to that?
I have the same question. The first part kind of seems irrelevant to the question at hand? I guess this is why my CARS score wasn't too great.

• Haha
Read it and think about why they might have included that in the question.
The question is about lifelong learning, not a past story

Strange. I never got a secondary, but at 8am I got this email:

Thank you for submitting your primary AMCAS Application. This is to acknowledge receipt of your AMCAS application to our medical school. We will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for submitting your primary AMCAS Application. This is to acknowledge receipt of your AMCAS application to our medical school. We will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions
same!

Is anyone else having difficulty reaching their secondary application website, or their website in general? Every time I try it seems like the website is down.

Appears to be working—just submitted my secondary

i just realized the oldest mcat score they accept is from july 2021. i took mine in april 2021, so is it even worth submitting the secondary at this point? kicking myself for not realizing sooner. would it make any difference to speak to admissions about it? (i'm guessing not)

i just realized the oldest mcat score they accept is from july 2021. i took mine in april 2021, so is it even worth submitting the secondary at this point? kicking myself for not realizing sooner. would it make any difference to speak to admissions about it? (i'm guessing not)
I didn´t realize this either... mine is from 6/26/2021

Does anyone's portal say that their letters are not received? Mine says "not received", but then has received dates for each of my letters so maybe it just means that they haven't reviewed them yet? I just want to make sure mine isn't the only one that looks that way I guess

I didn´t realize this either... mine is from 6/26/2021
after my initial panic decided to email admissions just to ask if any leeway can be made because it's not like i have anything to lose. worst case scenario they say they can't accept my score. since your test date is especially close to the cutoff it might be worth a shot to ask?

It varies from school to school, but there are several other CA schools which take older scores.

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions
Has anyone that got this email received a secondary? They emailed me the same thing but still haven't heard anything beyond this

Does anyone's portal say that their letters are not received? Mine says "not received", but then has received dates for each of my letters so maybe it just means that they haven't reviewed them yet? I just want to make sure mine isn't the only one that looks that way I guess
Mine looks the same way! I saw something about how admissions staff need to individually check that this portion is complete sometimes, which is why we might have to wait a little longer until that happens if it's not automatic

No secondary from Kaiser but I received the acknowledgement email. OOS

Mine looks the same way! I saw something about how admissions staff need to individually check that this portion is complete sometimes, which is why we might have to wait a little longer until that happens if it's not automatic
Ok, so I emailed the admissions office just to make sure, and they responded saying that they updated my application and it’s now complete! So I’m not sure it’s supposed to be that way, but if you want them to fix it, they will!

Ok, so I emailed the admissions office just to make sure, and they responded saying that they updated my application and it’s now complete! So I’m not sure it’s supposed to be that way, but if you want them to fix it, they will!
Oh, thank you so much for updating me! I'll email them now too. I really appreciate it, good luck with everything :)

Just wondering if anyone contacted admissions if their MCAT was taken before June 2021? I ended up not applying because I took mine in Mar 2021, missing the cutoff by a few months :( But now I regret not asking admissions so I'm just curious. Thanks and good luck!

for the question on intellectual exploration, would a hobby fit the vibes? or does it have to be something academic?

TLDR: yes

Just wondering if anyone contacted admissions if their MCAT was taken before June 2021? I ended up not applying because I took mine in Mar 2021, missing the cutoff by a few months :( But now I regret not asking admissions so I'm just curious. Thanks and good luck!
Emailed admissions recently, my MCAT was taken in April 2021 and they said it's within their grace period

Did anyone else still not get a secondary that got the primary received notification?

complete email received today 7/10, secondary submitted 7/5, primary verified 6/27

I was also confused and wrote a whole prompt on intellectual exploration lol but after getting some feedback it appears to be asking or strongly hinting at speaking about a time you worked towards something (intellectual exploration related? like research or a project, but not 100% sure), received criticism, and then how you responded to and used the criticism to move on and learn etc. etc. Hope this help!

I was also confused and wrote a whole prompt on intellectual exploration lol but after getting some feedback it appears to be asking or strongly hinting at speaking about a time you worked towards something (intellectual exploration related? like research or a project, but not 100% sure), received criticism, and then how you responded to and used the criticism to move on and learn etc. etc. Hope this help!
My friend is going to Kaiser and looking back, their essay only focuses on the intellectual exploration aspect and not at all on the constructive feedback part. Though I don't think it would hurt to incorporate that into your essay as it addresses the prompt better than not.

anyone still not get a secondary from Kaiser?
They just be slow, but I had another school that used the same software where I didn’t receive an email due to a technical error. PM and I may have a solution if it is a technical error and not them just trickling them out.

Reactions: 1 users