You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Massachusetts
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did you get any active consideration emails between then and now?Waitlist just now for MD/PURCH. Interview 9/13 and 10/18 or something. IS applicant and this is my top choice -- now time for the wait
BeagleLover987
Full Member
Nope, complete silence. Such a long wait, but I am so relieved it wasn’t a straight up R like I expected. I’m pretty sure they aren’t doing AC emails this year (someone correct me if I’m wrong)Did you get any active consideration emails between then and now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tiredpremed777
New Member
when was your interview?+1 WL IS
when did you interview?+1 WL IS
whyitgottabelikethis
Full Member
this schools lack of communication is a huge red flag. I don’t understand how their admissions process can be so convoluted
this schools lack of communication is a huge red flag. I don’t understand how their admissions process can be so convoluted
Username checks out
D
deleted1170884
This is how it appears to me:this schools lack of communication is a huge red flag. I don’t understand how their admissions process can be so convoluted
- Accept as many OOS applicants as possible, right after their interview. Hope they decide to come here and pay the OOS tuition, so the school can bring in more cash.
- Start to accept IS applicants after OOS accepted applicants decline their offers of admission. This minimizes the amount of students who are paying IS tuition, even if this means 7 months of silence post interview for IS applicants.
Real shady UMass.
Last edited by a moderator:
premed42568
Full Member
OOS interviewed early February. Still haven't heard anything.
D
deleted1149414
OOS and interviewed in Sept lol, no communication since
whyitgottabelikethis
Full Member
Ya quite salty at the moment lolUsername checks out
D
deleted1149414
Has anyone called admissions? Should I call and bug them, I'm assuming I'm getting the R anyway
lobsterroll
Full Member
where are you from OOS, I have a suspicion that they tend to more quickly accept people from the west coastOOS and interviewed in Sept lol, no communication since
D
deleted1149414
the west coastwhere are you from OOS, I have a suspicion that they tend to more quickly accept people from the west coast
This is how it appears to me:
- Accept as many OOS applicants as possible, right after their interview. Hope they decide to come here and pay the OOS tuition, so the school can bring in more cash.
- Start to accept IS applicants after OOS accepted applicants delcline their offers of admission. This minimizes the amount of students who are paying IS tuition, even if this means 7 months of silence post interview for IS applicants.
Real shady UMass.
They aren’t charging IS students cheaper tuition out of the goodness of their hearts. Being a public school means that the state partially funds the cost for their own state students. In fact, I think they actually receive more money from IS students between the IS tuition and the money from the state. This is the case with all public schools and whether or not they make more money off the IS or OOS will definitely be state specific, but I don’t think the large numbers of OOS A’s are due to a perceived increase in the dollar amount they can receive.
If I had to guess, I’d say it’s a mix of the fact that SDN is only anecdotal evidence and that perhaps they want to accept OOS students earlier since they know many IS students will still attend despite a late acceptance due to the fact that it’s a much cheaper option than almost any other school they can go to. Just my 2 cents
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the state law mandate a specific percentage of IS students admitted to Umass medical school, or is the percentage somewhat flexible?
I believe it’s flexible but I think it’s generally a 70-75% IS and 25-30% OOS mix of matriculants
Truthfully I've been suspecting that the OOS thing may be more money related than anything, so I've chosen to not take this whole debacle too too personally. The umass systems I'm pretty sure are in billions of dollars of debt.This is how it appears to me:
- Accept as many OOS applicants as possible, right after their interview. Hope they decide to come here and pay the OOS tuition, so the school can bring in more cash.
- Start to accept IS applicants after OOS accepted applicants delcline their offers of admission. This minimizes the amount of students who are paying IS tuition, even if this means 7 months of silence post interview for IS applicants.
Real shady UMass.
Whether that's a normal amount for a university system is totally beyond me, and i also don't know about how much state govts Fund IS students and whether OOS students actually give more dollars to the school as @Bowel-Plumber mentioned. But I do suspect that the subsidized tuition given by the state probably won't help pay off the billions of debt that UMass has thevway that OOS tuition may... but I'm a silly linguistics major and have no idea how that stuff works! As @everythingisonfire also mentioned they get TONS of funding so i could totally be talking out of my stressed bootyhole here.
But either way we don't really know what's going on in the adcom side of things. I do echo that the wait and lack of communication has made me less enthusiastic about the school and has lowered my opinion of it, but who knows 🫠 I'm bracing for a third cycle here, so I'd be happy to get in anywhere at this point! I'm assuming it's an R for the sake of my mental health and so I'm not losing sleep over silence, and suggest that others do the same if it's affecting their mental health.
whyitgottabelikethis
Full Member
I tried calling earlier but didn’t get an answer. Might be worth a shot might not beHas anyone called admissions? Should I call and bug them, I'm assuming I'm getting the R anyway
As a current student, I can confidently assert that such practices are not characteristic of UMass. Given our status as a public institution, there's a minimum quota for in-state admissions. The silence surrounding your application could stem from various factors. However, if you haven't received a rejection, it's safe to assume your application is still under review.This is how it appears to me:
- Accept as many OOS applicants as possible, right after their interview. Hope they decide to come here and pay the OOS tuition, so the school can bring in more cash.
- Start to accept IS applicants after OOS accepted applicants delcline their offers of admission. This minimizes the amount of students who are paying IS tuition, even if this means 7 months of silence post interview for IS applicants.
Real shady UMass.
Many of my classmates and I are joining the Facebook group which is contributing to this increase.Bruh
Does the FB group for the Class of 2028 (now 304 members) also include some students from prior years?Many of my classmates and I are joining the Facebook group which is contributing to this increase.
D
deleted1169403
I called financial aid recently and she basically told me to expect nothing as an OOS student. They have little need based institutional aid to give out and I think most of it goes to IS students. Your situation might vary though, it depends on your parents income as well.Does anyone know how friendly UMass is with giving scholarships or extra-funding? especially for those with OOS tuition rates
pandapremed
Full Member
Did she mention if there's any merit aid available/if that has gone out already?I called financial aid recently and she basically told me to expect nothing as an OOS student. They have little need based institutional aid to give out and I think most of it goes to IS students. Your situation might vary though, it depends on your parents income as well.
D
deleted1169403
They haven’t sent out anything yet because of the FAFSA delays. She said maybe mid April.Did she mention if there's any merit aid available/if that has gone out already?
She has office hours every week, and is very nice and helpful. I’d recommend hopping on and asking her any questions you have. It’s 1 on 1 so you can ask anything you want.
This doesn't include loans though right? Not sure how I'll be able to fund medical school without student loans... 😅I called financial aid recently and she basically told me to expect nothing as an OOS student. They have little need based institutional aid to give out and I think most of it goes to IS students. Your situation might vary though, it depends on your parents income as well.
Victoria L
Full Member
IS wl yesterday… I’m loosing hope. Still waiting on 2 other schools but have been radio silent since II. I am already thinking about reapplying
tennisfan72
Full Member
Has UMass ever sent out any decisions not on a Friday?
massachussetts123
Full Member
has anyone heard from 10/24 interview date?
IS WL from last Fri interviewed Feb 27
In case anyone was going to ask, 2nd look is strictly open for those with As and they’re not letting willing WLs attend. The second look is apparently happening this Thurs/fri.
In case anyone was going to ask, 2nd look is strictly open for those with As and they’re not letting willing WLs attend. The second look is apparently happening this Thurs/fri.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tennisfan72
Full Member
since second look is this week, should we just assume an R if we haven't gotten a WL yet? Seems strange to have pending decisions after a second look? crossing my fingers for this school but losing hope lol
soccertuna1999
New Member
I second this. I had an interview with UMass a few weeks ago and they said that many students wouldn’t hear ahead of the Second Look. They said they were thinking about having an additional Second Look, considering the amount of applications still up for review.
meddemddmdood
Full Member
Current student as well, and I agree. The change in environment from the application phase in general to being an actual student as UMass is night and day.As a current student, I can confidently assert that such practices are not characteristic of UMass. Given our status as a public institution, there's a minimum quota for in-state admissions. The silence surrounding your application could stem from various factors. However, if you haven't received a rejection, it's safe to assume your application is still under review.
Personally thought I was going to have to do everything by myself like I did in undergrad, but I've only received immense amounts of support from my mentors and faculty. Legit one of the most wholesome places I've been apart of, and I really do mean that.
tennisfan72
Full Member
+1Sigh I am starting to lose my mind. Interviewed early January, sent a LOI 2-3 weeks ago. Mentally preparing for an R but hoping for a WL.
hocus_bolus
Full Member
Has there been a post II R wave yet?
tiredpremed777
New Member
Anyone hear back today yet?
Still waiting to hear back OOS 2/9Anyone hear back today yet?
Same. OOS late October 😢Still waiting to hear back OOS 2/9
massachussetts123
Full Member
same IS 10/24Same. OOS late October 😢
frustrationstation
New Member
Interviewed 9/6 (IS) still haven’t heard back lol 🙃
LOL I interviewed on the same day, and I'm still waiting as wellInterviewed 9/6 (IS) still haven’t heard back lol 🙃
whyitgottabelikethis
Full Member
It’s second look day so they are prob busy and either aren’t sending today or will send them later than normal. They are for sure still sending out waitlists but I think they are getting close to limit of what MSAR says for the number of waitlist members who typically get accepted
what if we dont hear back today........
so you think we might be entering R territory? 🙁It’s second look day so they are prob busy and either aren’t sending today or will send them later than normal. They are for sure still sending out waitlists but I think they are getting close to limit of what MSAR says for the number of waitlist members who typically get accepted
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
whyitgottabelikethis
Full Member
Technically no, they still have many weeks of WL to give out, just saying that the sooner the better cuz it’s approaching half way of waitlists which is typically the number of ppl who end up getting in. However from what I’ve gathered, the WL will be the same number as past years (150) but I don’t think the number accepted currently (in the 300s) is more than a normal year either. Given the class size is larger means that the 70ish ppl who get off the waitlist might be an underestimate for this year. Despite all that it’s not exact math and I don’t really ~know~ anything so it’s all up in the air now.so you think we might be entering R territory? 🙁
i think they are still giving out As as wellTechnically no, they still have many weeks of WL to give out, just saying that the sooner the better cuz it’s approaching half way of waitlists which is typically the number of ppl who end up getting in. However from what I’ve gathered, the WL will be the same number as past years (150) but I don’t think the number accepted currently (in the 300s) is more than a normal year either. Given the class size is larger means that the 70ish ppl who get off the waitlist might be an underestimate for this year. Despite all that it’s not exact math and I don’t really ~know~ anything so it’s all up in the air now.
whyitgottabelikethis
Full Member
Based on the fb group number I thought so too but according to someone I know at the school I think it’s WL only. Could be wrong but pretty surei think they are still giving out As as well
i don’t think that makes sense because i think they haven’t reviewed some applications. unless the person at the school talked to admissions i would go by numbersBased on the fb group number I thought so too but according to someone I know at the school I think it’s WL only. Could be wrong but pretty sure
no news to anyone today?
From looking through the past 2 years threads, it seems that the next 2 Fridays are our last hope to be accepted or waitlisted. For the past 2 years there has seemingly been just 1 post-II R wave right before the May 1st deadline in that last week.... praying for good news for all of us.
From looking through the past 2 years threads, it seems that the next 2 Fridays are our last hope to be accepted or waitlisted. For the past 2 years there has seemingly been just 1 post-II R wave right before the May 1st deadline in that last week.... praying for good news for all of us.