2023-2024 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When do MSUCOM normally start sending out IIs?

Members don't see this ad.

i just added MSUCOM, how long usually will I receive Secondary and is this too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just added MSUCOM, how long usually will I receive Secondary and is this too late?
II's haven't even started to come out yet so prob not late at all. Only took a few days for me to receive secondaries.

On that subject, does anyone know if they pre-screen secondaries?

Kinda different prompts from last year:
The MSUCOM curriculum stresses the importance of intrapersonal competencies, including personal responsibility and adaptability. Please tell us a time when you were faced with a challenge in these areas and how that challenge impacted your professional growth.
What does professionalism mean to you as a future physician?
You may provide additional information, not stated elsewhere, you feel may help the Admissions Committee gain a better understanding of your candidacy. This may include major life achievements or explanations of academic or non-academic discrepancies on your application. You may also include interests or work experiences.

also requires shadowing info in detail, what do you guys put in the description?
Really quick,

First and second prompts have a 300 word limit.
Third prompt has a 500 word limit.

II's haven't even started to come out yet so prob not late at all. Only took a few days for me to receive secondaries.

On that subject, does anyone know if they pre-screen secondaries?
I think everybody gets the secondary.

In my opinion I would take this entire process very seriously bro. Every school receives thousands of applications each year and there are people on admissions that are looking for any reason to screen out your application. I’ve gone through this application cycle once before and had the privilege to talk to two adcom members from separate schools that rejected me. This whole process is insane and not all of it is going to make sense to you or me, but if a prompt is asking for OSTEOPATHIC medical experiences I would take it at face value and only input those specific experiences and focus on your exposure to osteopathic medicine, as I’m sure your primary app already discusses your other clinical experiences, but you do you.
great advice and it is something my prehealth advisor would totally say. I highly second this advice

I know they mention interviews in September, but anyone get any II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the last forum, invites will start popping up at the start of September

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they will wait to consider me for an II until they have my Casper score?

Is this a change from last year? Because I know it was required last year. But I did get an II last year without a casper

I emailed them, Casper is not required at all this year.

Reactions: 1 users
I received a secondary today. Do they send it to everyone? Thanks in advance.

Yes. This is what they have at the end of the secondary email I got:

“All candidates with a verified AACOMAS application applying to the MSUCOM DO program will receive an invitation to complete the supplemental application. Receipt of an invitation to complete the supplemental application does not guarantee applicant competitiveness nor guarantee admission. Each applicant should review information found on our website and determine if they desire to complete and submit the supplemental application.”

Almost had a heart attack when I saw an email notification from MSU only for it to be an invite to the DO/PhD Q&A session😭

Reactions: 18 users
Almost had a heart attack when I saw an email notification from MSU only for it to be an invite to the DO/PhD Q&A session😭
ME TOO I’m like… does this mean they wanna see if I go?? Do I go anyway even tho I applied just DO?

Reactions: 3 users

Yeah! I thought I got a II.

Dang it.

collapsing star trek GIF by HULU

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet? Some of my friends who are now OMSII and OMSIII said they got their invites late August.

Do not despair, by their description they well might have been the very first person to apply to MSUCOM this year

• Haha
I'm really struggling with the secondary question "What does professionalism mean to you as a future physician?" No matter how much I think about it, I am not sure how to answer it. I can easily go on about discussing why its important to be professional, and what being a professional looks like, but I'd just sound like a broken record. If anyone can give me any pointers, I would reallyyyyy appreciate it!

I'm really struggling with the secondary question "What does professionalism mean to you as a future physician?" No matter how much I think about it, I am not sure how to answer it. I can easily go on about discussing why its important to be professional, and what being a professional looks like, but I'd just sound like a broken record. If anyone can give me any pointers, I would reallyyyyy appreciate it!
I would start by thinking about your "looking glass self" as a physician, and what level of professionalism you see yourself maintaining with your patients. Create a list of qualities that fit this "professionalism" definition that is specific to you, and describe how that professionalism translates to more effective care for your patients. Really, there are alot of ways to look at this question, so you can direct it down any path you like. This is just an example tho. Good Luck

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? And did you have any osteopathic clinical experience?
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your primary and secondary?

Last edited: