2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Did anyone else receive additional essays to submit post-interview?? Admissions asked me for responses to a bunch of questions that seem tailored to my application. Just curious, I didn’t anticipate that being part of the process
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else receive additional essays to submit post-interview?? Admissions asked me for responses to a bunch of questions that seem tailored to my application. Just curious, I didn’t anticipate that being part of the process
When did you interview? Some of my friends got additional prompts and from what I asked to current Downstate students it seems to be to possibly clarify some things in the application. I don't think it's a negative thing so wouldn't stress too much.
 
When did you interview? Some of my friends got additional prompts and from what I asked to current Downstate students it seems to be to possibly clarify some things in the application. I don't think it's a negative thing so wouldn't stress too much.
Gotcha, thank you! I am a career changer so it makes sense that they would want some clarity on my application. I interviewed mid-December
 
Did anyone else receive additional essays to submit post-interview?? Admissions asked me for responses to a bunch of questions that seem tailored to my application. Just curious, I didn’t anticipate that being part of the process
Yup, I received quite a few questions. Not sure why because I thought I covered it all in my interview but maybe they just wanted more detail. I assume it can't be a bad thing, they want to learn more about you.
 
have we heard of any decisions coming out yet? I feel like we have been told a lot of dates from a lot of different people... should I still keep my expectations for Feb results?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Re the hospital closure: seems like it’s the smallest of the 3 teaching hospitals. The other 2 main facilities combined with the connections to other hospitals in nyc leads me to believe that clinical opportunities are not going to be affected much for medical students. But it’s still a big loss for the Flatbush community :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was it the person who was included in the email with the zoom link?
Yep and they usually include like a profile page of the person with the name and specialty if they are a doc. I received it on the day of the interview. Think it was the same email that included instructions for the photo assignment thing.
 
Did anyone else receive additional essays to submit post-interview?? Admissions asked me for responses to a bunch of questions that seem tailored to my application. Just curious, I didn’t anticipate that being part of the process
Was there a lot you had to write for the questions? were they difficult to answer?
 
Just got an email for their in person tour sign-up dates. Is this a sign of something more or do they send these out to everyone who has interviewed? I feel like it'd be strange to send this to someone they're going to reject.
They send it to everyone. You can see the posts from last year, going to the tour will have no bearing on an A or WL or R.
 
Did anyone who interviewed / toured in the past week or 2 get any insight about when admissions / rejections will be released? Are they still aiming for Valentine’s Day?
Was told decisions should start from mid Feb in a tour and virtual chat.

Any chance of receiving an II at this point?
Yep for sure in a lot of previous threads they extended II well into the next year like March and April.
 
Any tips regarding the student interview. How long is it ?
They have 5 premade questions from the adcom then after that its pretty chill. They have all been in our shoes, they know the drill. They know that you know the drill. Just be human and relatable. Take this time to also ask questions about the school or the city and social life in general. Its more informal, my guy facetimed me and he was in gym clothes. You dont have to dress up for this.


Edit: ooops forgot to add tgat mines took around 15-20mins
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for accepted students, if we accept the offer are we supposed to pay $100 within two days from today, or is that $100 only required after april 15th?