You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 UTMB (Sealy)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
harry_potter138
Full Member
secondary completed 6/20Congrats to everyone! When was everyone complete?
I finished the written secondary on 6/30, and the video secondary one or two days later.Congrats to everyone! When was everyone complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
harry_potter138
Full Member
Just trying to work out the interview and orientation with my kinda hectic school schedule. For those of you who have completed the interview, about how long and what are the hours of the Friday mandatory orientation? Additionally about how long does the actually interview day lasts? Thank you so much in advance! Also congrats to everyone who got interview invites today, if you didn't, keep your head up cause we still got a long ways to go 🙂
Just did the Mandatory Orientation today. It starts at 10am and ends at 1pm. Also, as far as I am aware no one has actually completed the interview yet. (They were supposed to start interviews this week, but that was canceled due to technical issues).Just trying to work out the interview and orientation with my kinda hectic school schedule. For those of you who have completed the interview, about how long and what are the hours of the Friday mandatory orientation? Additionally about how long does the actually interview day lasts? Thank you so much in advance! Also congrats to everyone who got interview invites today, if you didn't, keep your head up cause we still got a long ways to go 🙂
How was the orientation? Also I was wondering are we allowed to take notes between stations in the three minutes that we get to look at the prompt?
Orientation was good. You are allowed to take notes in the 3 minute timeslot before giving your answer.How was the orientation? Also I was wondering are we allowed to take notes between stations in the three minutes that we get to look at the prompt?
I feel like that could be fair game! There could be an excerpt about a situation and then the question below it asks you to talk about a time when you resolved conflict, or something along those lines.Do ya'll know if MMI questions can also include things like - what's your biggest weakness? Give an example of when you resolved conflict...are those also called MMI?
Hello! I had a quick question regarding Sealy's English requirement. Unfortunately, all of my writing credits have come from writing-intensive classes outside my university's English department. Sealy only accepts credits from writing classes within the English department, which means none of my writing credits will fulfil Sealy's English pre-requisites. However, Sealy accepts AP credits, and I have passed both AP Language and Composition and AP Literature and Composition. I was wondering whether anyone knew if these AP tests were sufficient for fulfilling the English pre-requisite?
Hello! I had a quick question regarding Sealy's English requirement. Unfortunately, all of my writing credits have come from writing-intensive classes outside my university's English department. Sealy only accepts credits from writing classes within the English department, which means none of my writing credits will fulfil Sealy's English pre-requisites. However, Sealy accepts AP credits, and I have passed both AP Language and Composition and AP Literature and Composition. I was wondering whether anyone knew if these AP tests were sufficient for fulfilling the English pre-requisite?
“Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
Advanced Placement (AP): Credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript.If AP credits appear as lump sum credit on the transcript, a letter from the college or university registrar specifying course equivalency for credit earned will be required in order to receive credit for the courses.”
Found that in their website
Thanks! So it seems that my AP credits can at least contribute to meeting the prerequisites....“Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
Advanced Placement (AP): Credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript.
If AP credits appear as lump sum credit on the transcript, a letter from the college or university registrar specifying course equivalency for credit earned will be required in order to receive credit for the courses.”
Found that in their website
UTMB should not have separate requirements from TMDSAS. You need to convince TMDSAS you met requirements.Hello! I had a quick question regarding Sealy's English requirement. Unfortunately, all of my writing credits have come from writing-intensive classes outside my university's English department. Sealy only accepts credits from writing classes within the English department, which means none of my writing credits will fulfil Sealy's English pre-requisites. However, Sealy accepts AP credits, and I have passed both AP Language and Composition and AP Literature and Composition. I was wondering whether anyone knew if these AP tests were sufficient for fulfilling the English pre-requisite?
My PCR says that I have no hour deficiencies in English as a result of my writing-intensive classes. So I guess TMDSAS was already convinced, and I was just being neurotic. Thanks for the information!UTMB should not have separate requirements from TMDSAS. You need to convince TMDSAS you met requirements.
Some schools do have more specific requirements, so although TMDSAS will verify that a course, for example, is rigorous enough to meet the qualification for Bio and Bio lab, they are not the arbiters of what each individual school can state as their requirements.UTMB should not have separate requirements from TMDSAS. You need to convince TMDSAS you met requirements.
For example Baylor does not accept AP credits for any of their prereqs including English. Other schools are more lenient.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yall will be so amazing they will have to admit you all!!
+1 IS II received 08/12, complete 7/28
Me too!Good luck to everyone this week! If anyone interviewed today please PM me! I’d love to hear how everything went!
This is probably a dumb question, but should we always email Thank You Letters, or if there is an option to upload, that we should do that instead? UTMB was my first school so far that has an option to upload a TY letter, but I wasn't sure if I should just email the admissions email or upload it.
Pretty hard to say, since this is the first year they have employed this as part of their admissions procedures.How much could the the video secondary could impact II chances? I was complete 06/28 and think that my videos weren’t the best so would that potentially count me out for utmb
I think everyone feels awkward speaking an answer into a void on video interviews.
I think I did relatively badly on my video secondaries (said "um" a lot, did not practice talking about any of my experiences beforehand), and I was fortunate to receive an II. I am sure that you can get an II if you didn't do as well as you wanted on the video secondary, as long as other parts of your application are promising!
D
deleted1122679
Especially since we have no knowledge of the prompts beforehand, I’m sure the vast majority of us didn’t do as well as we would have liked and had a lot of stumbling on our words and “umms”I think I did relatively badly on my video secondaries (said "um" a lot, did not practice talking about any of my experiences beforehand), and I was fortunate to receive an II. I am sure that you can get an II if you didn't do as well as you wanted on the video secondary, as long as other parts of your application are promising!
Where are you seeing the option to upload a thank you letter?This is probably a dumb question, but should we always email Thank You Letters, or if there is an option to upload, that we should do that instead? UTMB was my first school so far that has an option to upload a TY letter, but I wasn't sure if I should just email the admissions email or upload it.
Document Upload > Type > Thank You Letter, On the secondary portalWhere are you seeing the option to upload a thank you letter?
You got a green flag to UTSW so you’re a certified legend 😎when u find out that utmb invites like 1/5 of their applicants to interview so now you’re vigorously trying to think of potential red flags in your application
that's 4/5 of the people not invited for interview brotha!when u find out that utmb invites like 1/5 of their applicants to interview so now you’re vigorously trying to think of potential red flags in your application
I have some classmates who interviewed on the last possible day! It's not over until it's over 🙂when u find out that utmb invites like 1/5 of their applicants to interview so now you’re vigorously trying to think of potential red flags in your application
How do you like your time at UTMB so far?I have some classmates who interviewed on the last possible day! It's not over until it's over 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else having technical difficulties with "device setup" in the online platform?
Like everything in life, there are pros and cons. But it's all a net positive because I'm literally being paid to do nothing but learn and become a great physician 😄How do you like your time at UTMB so far?
Would you mind sharing some of the things you like and dislike about the school?Like everything in life, there are pros and cons. But it's all a net positive because I'm literally being paid to do nothing but learn and become a great physician 😄
PM meWould you mind sharing some of the things you like and dislike about the school?
Today at the interview orientation they mentioned that they typically have ~300 prematch offers and always have a class size of 230. What happens if all 300 prematch applicants rank UTMB #1?
It has never happened and they end up losing most of the prematches during match to Baylor, UTSW, McGovern. So they end up admitting at least another 100+ during match.Today at the interview orientation they mentioned that they typically have ~300 prematch offers and always have a class size of 230. What happens if all 300 prematch applicants rank UTMB #1?
Essentially most of UTMB's prematches are people who have a very good shot at landing other higher ranked schools in Texas.
I assign you the statistics homework of calculating that likelihood.Today at the interview orientation they mentioned that they typically have ~300 prematch offers and always have a class size of 230. What happens if all 300 prematch applicants rank UTMB #1?
Don’t forget to show your work for full credit

And you better have taken or enrolled in a statistics class!I assign you the statistics homework of calculating that likelihood.
Don’t forget to show your work for full credit![]()
| STATISTICS | 3 semester hours or 5 quarter hours of Statistics. |
Orientation day was so awesome. Makes me very excited to possibly attend JSSOM 😁
So exciting! Still praying I get an interview over here 🤞Orientation day was so awesome. Makes me very excited to possibly attend JSSOM 😁
Was it more casual like a mixer/social, or was it more professional like the medical school giving information on its benefits?Orientation day was so awesome. Makes me very excited to possibly attend JSSOM 😁
I did not attend orientation this week. I actually went last week. It was definitely professional and lots of good information was given out. The students were great, the faculty were great, and everyone was pretty chill. JSSOM is a great medical school for sure.Was it more casual like a mixer/social, or was it more professional like the medical school giving information on its benefits?
I also agree (although I attended orientation last week).Orientation day was so awesome. Makes me very excited to possibly attend JSSOM 😁
It’s not necessary: in Texas we state our intent by ranking a school #1 on our rank order list for the Match.I did orientation last Friday and just interviewed this past week-- I already knew going in this was one of my top choices but after orientation and hearing the student ambassadors, I am prepared to submit a letter of intent... would this be too early on in the process? I would like to send this prior to pre-match offers going out but I've been told it can be misinterpreted as an empty gesture if I don't have other match offers already
You could write an enthusiastic thank you note if you wish.
Kaioshin
Full Member
Guys! For the video secondary, I would think up of the most amazing response for the question provided. But when it comes to saying it out loud, its like I got Broca aphasia😭. I’m so scared because I heard they placed a heavy emphasis on the video response portion and UTMB is my dream school. Anybody felt the same?
LM: 70.6 | Completed: 8/16
LM: 70.6 | Completed: 8/16
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
glucosedestroyer
Full Member
They do place a heavy emphasis on it? I thought it was their first time doing it so not many people knew how it was weighted. I could be wrong though that is just what I heard.Guys! For the video secondary, I would think up of the most amazing response for the question provided. But when it comes to saying it out loud, its like I got Broca aphasia😭. I’m so scared because I heard they placed a heavy emphasis on the video response portion and UTMB is my dream school. Anybody felt the same?
LM: 70.6 | Completed: 8/16
It is their first time using it. Let's see!They do place a heavy emphasis on it? I thought it was their first time doing it so not many people knew how it was weighted. I could be wrong though that is just what I heard.
Kaioshin
Full Member
They do place a heavy emphasis on it? I thought it was their first time doing it so not many people knew how it was weighted. I could be wrong though that is just what I heard.
That’s what I heard from a student that goes there (n = 1). But, hopefully, a [emoji92]holistic [emoji92] review is conducted to determine whether an applicant qualifies for an II despite some shortcomings.
You’re always your worst critic. I’m sure you did a lot better than you realized!Guys! For the video secondary, I would think up of the most amazing response for the question provided. But when it comes to saying it out loud, its like I got Broca aphasia😭. I’m so scared because I heard they placed a heavy emphasis on the video response portion and UTMB is my dream school. Anybody felt the same?
LM: 70.6 | Completed: 8/16