You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
mintchocochip
Full Member
+1 OOS II, submitted 7/10
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
momwithanmd
Full Member
Anyone have any intel from the December Q&A session?? Dying to know when the next round of As will come out!
Nyanderthal
Full Member
Not sure how accurate this is but the admissions guy at the end of the session told us recent interviewees that we most likely wouldn't be hearing back until March or April. Take that how you will, but I don't see how that is possible considering someone here with a mid-October interview got an A. He also said some other things that didn't quite make sense. For example, he said that Downstate typically has a class size of 185-200 students, but then he proceeded to say that they usually accept 400 students and waitlist another 400-500. The waitlist is ranked so just because you got on the waitlist early doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the first to come off. The other thing I remember him saying is that you should wait until January to send letters of interest/intent and you can have new physicians/professors add letters of recommendation for you by having them e-mail [email protected]. Again, take everything I said with a grain of salt and don't shoot the messenger. I'm hoping I hear back by early January because waiting until March or April is torture.Anyone have any intel from the December Q&A session?? Dying to know when the next round of As will come out!
did he mention when theyll stop sending IIs or when the interview period is over?Not sure how accurate this is but the admissions guy at the end of the session told us recent interviewees that we most likely wouldn't be hearing back until March or April. Take that how you will, but I don't see how that is possible considering someone here with a mid-October interview got an A. He also said some other things that didn't quite make sense. For example, he said that Downstate typically has a class size of 185-200 students, but then he proceeded to say that they usually accept 400 students and waitlist another 400-500. The waitlist is ranked so just because you got on the waitlist early doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the first to come off. The other thing I remember him saying is that you should wait until January to send letters of interest/intent and you can have new physicians/professors add letters of recommendation for you by having them e-mail [email protected]. Again, take everything I said with a grain of salt and don't shoot the messenger. I'm hoping I hear back by early January because waiting until March or April is torture.
Was there a reason as to why he said we should wait until january to send a letter of intent? I interviewed in september but did not receive a decision in the first wave and was thinking of sending a letter of intent since downstate is my #1 choice.Not sure how accurate this is but the admissions guy at the end of the session told us recent interviewees that we most likely wouldn't be hearing back until March or April. Take that how you will, but I don't see how that is possible considering someone here with a mid-October interview got an A. He also said some other things that didn't quite make sense. For example, he said that Downstate typically has a class size of 185-200 students, but then he proceeded to say that they usually accept 400 students and waitlist another 400-500. The waitlist is ranked so just because you got on the waitlist early doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the first to come off. The other thing I remember him saying is that you should wait until January to send letters of interest/intent and you can have new physicians/professors add letters of recommendation for you by having them e-mail [email protected]. Again, take everything I said with a grain of salt and don't shoot the messenger. I'm hoping I hear back by early January because waiting until March or April is torture.
hittheroad
Full Member
seconding this.. i haven't received an II yet but sent an update letter a few weeks ago to continue showing my interest in the program & update them on some activities & awardsWas there a reason as to why he said we should wait until january to send a letter of intent? I interviewed in september but did not receive a decision in the first wave and was thinking of sending a letter of intent since downstate is my #1 choice.
cookiemonster278
Full Member
I thought they don’t accept pre-II updates?seconding this.. i haven't received an II yet but sent an update letter a few weeks ago to continue showing my interest in the program & update them on some activities & awards
hittheroad
Full Member
idk i sent one lol. i called admissions and he said i could submit itI thought they don’t accept pre-II updates?
cookiemonster278
Full Member
If admissions said it was okay, then it should be fine. I was just thinking about sending an update as well but wasn’t sure if it was allowedidk i sent one lol. i called admissions and he said i could submit it
Nyanderthal
Full Member
He said they interview all the way up until April but not sure when they stop sending out IIs.did he mention when theyll stop sending IIs or when the interview period is over?
From what I remember, he said to wait until mid-January because if you send it earlier than that, your application might not even be in review yet so it won't have as much of an impact compared to if you sent it when your application is already under review or it has been reviewed already and they're on the fence about accepting you. He emphasized that you need to be strategic about when you send your letters and he said you can actually send more than one letter of intent, but obviously space it out if you decide to do that.Was there a reason as to why he said we should wait until january to send a letter of intent? I interviewed in september but did not receive a decision in the first wave and was thinking of sending a letter of intent since downstate is my #1 choice.
I attended the December 6 session by the way for anyone curious or if anyone else attended the same session and wants to chime in, they can feel free to. Happy to answer any more questions from what I can remember if anyone has any.
Last edited:
TedMosby1207
Full Member
Is there a GroupMe for this year's cohort?
He said they interview all the way up until April but not sure when they stop sending out IIs.
From what I remember, he said to wait until mid-January because if you send it earlier than that, your application might not even be in review yet so it won't have as much of an impact compared to if you sent it when your application is already under review or it has been reviewed already and they're on the fence about accepting you. He emphasized that you need to be strategic about when you send your letters and he said you can actually send more than one letter of intent, but obviously space it out if you decide to do that.
I attended the December 6 session by the way for anyone curious or if anyone else attended the same session and wants to chime in, they can feel free to. Happy to answer any more questions from what I can remember if anyone has any.
Neurotic of me but beginning or end of April?
Potentially more acceptances today?
Great info! Did they mention anything about decisions for earlier interview? If they’ll be rolling and with what frequency? Or if we should expect that historically late Jan/Mid Feb release day?Not sure how accurate this is but the admissions guy at the end of the session told us recent interviewees that we most likely wouldn't be hearing back until March or April. Take that how you will, but I don't see how that is possible considering someone here with a mid-October interview got an A. He also said some other things that didn't quite make sense. For example, he said that Downstate typically has a class size of 185-200 students, but then he proceeded to say that they usually accept 400 students and waitlist another 400-500. The waitlist is ranked so just because you got on the waitlist early doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the first to come off. The other thing I remember him saying is that you should wait until January to send letters of interest/intent and you can have new physicians/professors add letters of recommendation for you by having them e-mail [email protected]. Again, take everything I said with a grain of salt and don't shoot the messenger. I'm hoping I hear back by early January because waiting until March or April is torture.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
o_OfroggyO_o
Full Member
anyone know the post-II acceptance rate, especially for OOS applicants?
D
deleted1206167
They just mentioned April from what I recall.Neurotic of me but beginning or end of April?
The frequency of when they will announce decisions wasn't discussed. But, they did mention that the timing of your interview does not necessarily correlate with the timing of the actual decision being released. It depends on when they get to review everything. They then gave an example saying that someone could interview in August 2024 and get a decision in August 2025. (I think this is just an exaggerated statement from them, but hopefully this is not the case for anyone)Potentially more acceptances today?
Great info! Did they mention anything about decisions for earlier interview? If they’ll be rolling and with what frequency? Or if we should expect that historically late Jan/Mid Feb release day?
KnightTalking
Full Member
Yea, this is exactly right. The way they explained it in my session is that they do go chronologically as in early interviews get reviewed earlier than later but for some applicants with early interviews they may decide to wait to release a decision as they would like to review their applications again at a future review session. Some candidates might get one review, some many, it all just depends on fit I think. All things considered, I really appreciate how open Downstate has been about their admissions processThey just mentioned April from what I recall.
The frequency of when they will announce decisions wasn't discussed. But, they did mention that the timing of your interview does not necessarily correlate with the timing of the actual decision being released. It depends on when they get to review everything. They then gave an example saying that someone could interview in August 2024 and get a decision in August 2025. (I think this is just an exaggerated statement from them, but hopefully this is not the case for anyone)
momwithanmd
Full Member
I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY HOLY S***!!!!!!!!! YALL THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOL WHAAAAAAAT
TedMosby1207
Full Member
Congratulations! 🥳I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY HOLY S***!!!!!!!!! YALL THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOL WHAAAAAAAT
orgoforever
Full Member
do all the acceptances come at the same time in the day?
Wondering this toodo all the acceptances come at the same time in the day?
Punz18
Full Member
Congratulations! IS or OoS? II Date? Out of curiosityI GOT ACCEPTED TODAY HOLY S***!!!!!!!!! YALL THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOL WHAAAAAAAT
Last edited:
PremedPicasso2
Full Member
post II R rip
momwithanmd
Full Member
Congratulations! IS or OoS? II Date? Out of curiosity
IS! Interviewed 11/12
Nyanderthal
Full Member
Congrats! Hopefully this means other November interviewees hear back soon (meIS! Interviewed 11/12
Congrats! Did any October interviewees hear back? We were told decisions would come starting January-February, so I'm shocked people are already hearing back.IS! Interviewed 11/12
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KnightTalking
Full Member
I heard for my 10/15 interview on 12/2 but I don’t know if that’s the norm.Congrats! Did any October interviewees hear back? We were told decisions would come starting January-February, so I'm shocked people are already hearing back.
Maybe it's only for those they really want to accept?I heard for my 10/15 interview on 12/2 but I don’t know if that’s the norm.
BritaPitcher
Full Member
I received an interview invitation on December 13th with the earliest date available being March 18th (womp). Does anyone know if this is likely a waitlist interview or if it is still possible to receive a straight acceptance with an interview date that late in the cycle? This is my top choice school, so I'm really holding out hope but also trying to be realistic about things.
VINILOVER123
Full Member
I think this question been asked like a billion times but no, there is no school that invites students for waitlists. It’s up to you in the interview to show them that ur the right person, it’s extremely competitive process but definitely possible. U got the invite because they already like u in paper, its urs too lose. Merry Christmas [emoji320][emoji4]
BritaPitcher
Full Member
Thanks for your response and for your kind words! Sorry if it's a bit of repetitive question, I just got slightly in my own head about this and having heard stories about this kind of thing happening (a neurotic pre-med? Never). Happy holidays!
i am !Hey guys, happy holidays! Any August interviewees still waiting to hear back? Nervous after seeing later interviewees get A’s and R’s
hoping they just haven’t gotten to our files yet!i am !
momwithanmd
Full Member
Hey everyone, happy new year! Not sure if this will be the official accepted students groupme, but starting one if there isn't already one out there! Please DM me if the link isn't working lol
SUNY DOWNSTATE COM C/O 2029
SUNY DOWNSTATE COM C/O 2029
grizzlybear130
Full Member
Does anyone know how frequently Downstate sends out decisions?
D
deleted1205778
Hi all! happy new year🙂
does anyone know if SUNY downstate accepts post interview update letters? Interviewed in october, still haven’t heard back and getting antsy
does anyone know if SUNY downstate accepts post interview update letters? Interviewed in october, still haven’t heard back and getting antsy
Did you happen to email it or uploaded it to the portal?idk i sent one lol. i called admissions and he said i could submit it
hittheroad
Full Member
bothDid you happen to email it or uploaded it to the portal?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cookiemonster278
Full Member
IS pre-II R. Complete 7/12
OOS pre-II R complete 9/2
D
deleted1200007
OOS pre II R
averagepremed0101
MD Class of 2029
oos pre-II R complete 7/2
Last edited:
themostgulliable
Full Member
+1IS pre-II R. Complete 7/12