Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys, I'm really excited for my interview. I wish it wasn't so far (3/5) away.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll really enjoy the place. Interview day is not super stressful, so go into it ready to have fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how quickly they are moving down the waitlist and if you receive a position on the waitlist (as opposed to being added later and being at the bottom)?

If you get wait listed, I bet you'll still have a fair shot at getting in. The administration tried to convey that during my interview day. They have already pulled from the wait list, but I don't know anymore than that.

Keep in mind it could be that they didn't get the chance to meet or get the dean's approval due to travel or something. You still don't know, so you might still get an acceptance! Keep your heads up guys/gals!

Ok, let's do this.

There are all types of people on SDN and it's sad how you're answer is not being answered honestly. In my opinion, almost every answer thus far to your question is what these students WANT to hear and WISH is true, rather than thinking this serious issue through. Your first sentence talks about how "hockeyteen22"'s question wasn't being answered "honestly." How you can assume this I wouldn't know. Note the second sentence would be where you imply that "the students who selected ACOM have thought it through"

I for one like your question and applaud you for wanting to make an informed decision, and you have that right considering you're going to invest a huge chuink of your personal, social, education, and financial life into this school. You two sound like you'd be besties.

My persepective is that having a Dean in trouble with the law certainly makes all others (students, parents, community, and especially the rest of the school's board/teachers) question his decision-making, leadership, and personal abilities. The man had a DUI. That's more a stupid decision in your personal life then something grandeur that would affect students, parents, community, and the entire school's perception of you. The only thing it would make me question would be "should I give him less alcohol the next time we invite him over." Out of those three, the only one that would be remotely affected would be decision-making. However, what I choose to do in my personal life is not always something I would choose professionally. I know a few people that are at the top of their field, but get completely hammered at conferences. Does it affect their professional ability? Millions of dollars in grant money says no. Again, personal decisions are not equal to professional.

Most often, as we all know from being students dealing with much stress, what happens in our personal lives affects our educational/professional lives, so it's not as easy as simply saying "the dean's poor choices won't affect his role in the school." Actually, by the time you're a professional, you should be able to separate your personal and professional life. That's just part of growing up. How his DUI would affect his ability to manage a school... unless he starts drinking at work, I don't really see it playing any effect. Maybe he'll have to work a few more hours to pay off the fines.

Additionally, this is an extremely poor way to represent a brand new school...and a medical school at that too. If anything, I think the school's reputation will certainly suffer a long way for years. Does it look bad? Yes. Will it cause a school's reputation to suffer for years? You're joking right? A medical school's reputation is based on their student's performance. No residency director is going to look at each professor's life history.

But in terms of rotations and residency, I don't think one man's poor judgement will affect your post-grad options, but that's IF a more responsible person replaces him as Dean. Uhh no. Regardless of what happens to the Dean, it's not going to affect your post-grad options one bit. The only way it would is if the Dean decides to call the hospital you're applying to and yell at the residency director while drunk.

Keep in mind though that you also have a job to work hard as a student and partially pave your own way. Best of luck to all. No matter where you go it's going to be up to you. The school is going to be there to help you by giving you opportunities and guidance. Good luck to all of us indeed.

This is a new school. With the possibility of another DO school opening in the near future, they are going to be pushed to do all they can to make the first class as good as possible. As with everything, first impressions count, and the entire school's reputation is going to be based around how well that first class does.

Also, thx to acox for the update.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys arguing at the top of this thread really should be careful. When I interviewed here they said that they have retracted an acceptance because of some disrespectful things that were said on here. Just saying...

You guys arguing at the top of this thread really should be careful. When I interviewed here they said that they have retracted an acceptance because of some disrespectful things that were said on here. Just saying...

I agree that disrespectful things should not be posted anywhere by anyone, especially those wanting to enter the medical profession.

When I posed my initial question, I meant absolutely no disrespect. My question boiled down to: (1) do you think this event could potentially damage the schools reputation in a way that would affect the students and (2) if SAMC decides to remove Dr Lenz as the dean could that impact the school negatively going forward?

An example response, keeping the debate on the ethics of his actions out of it, would look like this:
"Yes, because of the actions, a few preceptorships/residency programs may have a negative bias towards ACOM. And it's also possible that, since samc announced they were non-committal to Dr. Lenz's future, that a change in deans during such a critical time that the beginning of a medical school is could result in more growing pains. For example, many of the faculty came to ACOM specifically to follow Dr Lenz and his departure could result in the departure of other faculty."

To me, the whole situation does need to be addressed prior to me considering ACOM, and others here on sdn agree and stated that they thought about it prior to submitting deposits. I did not realize that a very few people here would be unprofessional about addressing the question and instead turn it into an ethical dilemma, so I apologize for even bringing it up.

I gave you an honest answer to the question. I truly believe that it will not have any bearing on your ability to attain a good medical education. You had genuine concern about something and brought it up in as neutral a manner as you could.

It sounds like you have a judgment of your own already, which is completely fine. The divisiveness didn't come from your original question, so there is no need to apologize. Let's all just agree that we may have differing opinions about the matter and move on. People have beat this topic to death, and I think that those that truly care about the school are just tired of hearing about it.

Hockeyteen, good luck on your interview! Let us know how it goes.

you all need to go grab a beer or cocktail and relax! Good luck to everyone that has gotten in, and those with interviews. I am waiting to hear back for possible interview.

you all need to go grab a beer or cocktail and relax! Good luck to everyone that has gotten in, and those with interviews. I am waiting to hear back for possible interview.

Better yet.....

Grab 5-10, get behind the wheel, and put lives at risk like Dr. Lenz.

Fixed it back. I was rejected. Everyone, please throw some lettuce at my face.

Iceberg, Romaine, Arugula, Boston, or Watercress?

jk, the only lettuce worth throwing are the Benjamins.

tumblr_lo21ieSUHU1qz7lbeo1_500.gif

Srsly though, I removed that last bit since I figured it wasn't my place to mention it even though you've posted about it in the past. Figured it was crossing a line.

Last edited:
I actually laughed when i saw it so no worries. I'm not butt hurt nor ashamed about the rejection. It's all in good fun.

Regardless of what I say about the dean, I'm confident that all of you who have chosen ACOM have made a good decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
My impression of ACOM is that they genuinely want to make a difference. They are affiliated with a good hospital and in a nice part of Alabama with low cost of living. They are getting a good student body and community is supporting them. Four years from now you have a great chance to be successful and they will provide you with the tools. Honest professional opinion is fine but continuous complaining serves no one. It should be considered no less than an honor to be considered by a med school. It benefits everyone especially the patients that you care about that this new school is extremely successful.

I am turning down my acceptance to ACOM today. Good luck to all of you!!! It looks like it's going to be a great school

I am turning down my acceptance to ACOM today. Good luck to all of you!!! It looks like it's going to be a great school

Thank you for letting those on the wait list know! I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Good luck to you wherever you end up!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

It's been pretty quiet here lately in terms of acceptances. Has anyone heard anything?

The people that interviewed recently are supposed to find out sometime this week. That is what my interview group was told on 2/14.

Oh ok... Yeah we were in the same interview group. I was just wondering because I had heard of people being wait listed recently but no acceptances recently.

Oh ok... Yeah we were in the same interview group. I was just wondering because I had heard of people being wait listed recently but no acceptances recently.

Ya there haven't been a lot of acceptances lately for some reason.

The later into the cycle we go the more picky they will get and the more wait listing that will happen... you will truly have to be outstanding to warrant acceptance at this point.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

That makes sense. Well I'm hoping for good news this week

Yeah, good luck to you! I liked everyone in my interview group, really cool people.

Hey y'all,

I was accepted here about a month ago. I was wondering what your opinions are on going here and matching into good residencies, particularly at UAB. Do you foresee top hospitals in the region considering ACOM students for their residencies? Or do you think because it's a new school (and a DO school) that we'll be at a significant disadvantage? Since the state of Alabama is in such dire need of physicians across almost all specialties, will this shortage function as an advantage for us as we go into the match process? Thanks for any thoughts!

Hey y'all,

I was accepted here about a month ago. I was wondering what your opinions are on going here and matching into good residencies, particularly at UAB. Do you foresee top hospitals in the region considering ACOM students for their residencies? Or do you think because it's a new school (and a DO school) that we'll be at a significant disadvantage? Since the state of Alabama is in such dire need of physicians across almost all specialties, will this shortage function as an advantage for us as we go into the match process? Thanks for any thoughts!

I asked this same question to the attending at the hospital I work at (EM Residency Program) and the attending's all said the same thing. An established program gives them some reference (have they encountered students from that program before) but that's it. If you do well on the boards, excel during your clinical rotations, and audition at the site and kill it it's hard to ignore that person no matter what program they come from.

I chose to attend ACOM instead of 2 other programs. I established DO and one caribbean MD.

Hey y'all,

I have similar thoughts on this. I am interviewing next week, so haven't been accepted yet...However, from the research I have put in, I looked at first year match lists for a couple of schools (Touro-NY, and Touro-NV) and they seem weak compared to current match lists for those schools. That being said, one should never rely on statistics, as they are mere numbers in a bunch. But I am curious how this will pan out.

I have similar thoughts on this. I am interviewing next week, so haven't been accepted yet...However, from the research I have put in, I looked at first year match lists for a couple of schools (Touro-NY, and Touro-NV) and they seem weak compared to current match lists for those schools. That being said, one should never rely on statistics, as they are mere numbers in a bunch. But I am curious how this will pan out.

It's a legitimate concern for sure. This whole process should not be taken lightly and every decision has to be well thought out. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck.:luck:

Any word on admissions status from the people that interviewed last week?

Lol me too.... In sure it will be either tomorrow or Friday that we find out.

Right now there are 95 people in the fb group if this means anything...

Ya, but some of those people have decided to go elsewhere. I bet there are some not in the group as well though.

Ya, but some of those people have decided to go elsewhere. I bet there are some not in the group as well though.

They told us around 100 people were confirmed in the class right now, but I'm sure that fluctuates as the wait-lists begin to move. We shall see!

Sorry, but I would say this says absolutely nothing haha. Consider how many people may a) may have deleted their FB during the application cycle in fear that schools will see their profiles, b) not go on FB often and so get accepted to ACOM but not join the group (ie. they have a family/life outside of the internet), c) got accepted to ACOM but have the school as their "back-up" though they joined the group anyways, d) don't want to announce at this point to their friends/world what schools they were accepted to before they make up their minds. I'm sure there are many other reasons, but you get the point!

Look at UNE -- a "top tier" school by many peoples opinions and yet their FB group only has like 50 people at this point. Their motto is that people in New England/Maine are outside having too much fun to go join a Facebook group!

As a side note, I really enjoyed my interview. I agree with everyone who said Dr. Lenz and the rest of the staff seem on top of their game and ready to hit the ground running with the new school. I realized that any questions I have about the future of the school may be best addressed if I receive an acceptance... no need to count the chicks before they hatch :laugh:

Has there been anyone that received an email for an acceptance instead of a call, because I know that during the interview they said we would be contacted by email...

Interviewed 2/12. No word yet.. I've been glued to my phone in case it rings haha.

Same here I interviewed 02/12 and haven't heard anything. Every time someone calls my phone I get excited until I look and see it isn't the school calling. It's nerve-racking.

Lol yes it is very nerve wrecking.... It seems the board meets every thurs so maybe we will find out something today and the latest as of friday

Has there been anyone that received an email for an acceptance instead of a call, because I know that during the interview they said we would be contacted by email...

Hi Dr.Prettieyes, yes there have been reported email acceptances. Though those were few and far between. Most email communications post interview are either wait list, rejection notices, matriculation info, school update info, etc. I received a call after my interview and it was on a Thursday afternoon. So, be on the look out for a call from Dothan, Al if you have an iPhone.

I'll definitely be on the look out... My nerves are getting to me....

I'll definitely be on the look out... My nerves are getting to me....

Don't freak out if you don't get the call today. I was called on a Friday. Also the call could come on a Monday if they can't get the dean's approval right away.