Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received interview offer recently, if so what are the offered dates?
Any acceptances recently?
How full is the class and waiting list?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Just got a delayed decision letter today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like forever since seeing anyone post about being accepted... Any updates from people wait listed

Seems like forever since seeing anyone post about being accepted... Any updates from people wait listed

Yeah I know. I interviewed March 7th and haven't heard anything. But it seems like they are waitlisted basically everyone, which makes sense. Last I heard in early Feb. they had a 100 spots taken (only leaving 62) and they are interviewing into April. So it makes sense to waitlist so that you can interview everyone and make the best decisions when there are such few spots left.

I haven't heard back from my interview, waitlist or not, on 3/5. What's the protocol for e-mailing to bug them? Should I just shoot Dr. Reynolds a brief e-mail explaining when I interviewed and what my status is?

Yeah you can send Dr. Reynolds an email. He is quick at responding.

Members don't see this ad :)
He was quick at making sure I got my wait list notification! They really are using it quite heavily now, aren't they? Better than a rejection!

I don't think they reject lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Not exactly. I e-mailed Dr. Reynolds and then an hour or so later I got the official wait list e-mail, not from him or his e-mail address.

Emeli, what's up? How's the interview process going?

Still waiting on interview. This whole process is like a marathon, run in mud.

If you have not gotten an interview offer yet I would contact them to see where you stand. They are supposedly only doing interviews until April and since invitations are typically sent a month in advance you are running out of time.

Would anyone like to expound on their interview experience here? Like a walk through of the day and what the actual interview was like.
thanks!

Would anyone like to expound on their interview experience here? Like a walk through of the day and what the actual interview was like.
thanks!

Well I won't go into too many details, even though this school does not make you sign a confidentiality agreement like some do.

When you first get there they do an intro with the dean and some of the staff and they talk about the school and their philosophy in a conference room with all the applicants. After a few hours they do individual interviews with one applicant and two interviewers in the room, while the other applicants listen to a presentation on finical's (or vice versa). The interview is pretty relaxed they have your file, but they don't have any of the statistics so its kind of closed file, but not really. They just ask normal interview questions, some easy some hard, but you are not grilled (or I wasn't). Then you go to lunch with the staff. After that a tour of the campus if the construction site is accesible (which it should be at this point) then you are done. Good luck on your interview.

Well I won't go into too many details, even though this school does not make you sign a confidentiality agreement like some do.

When you first get there they do an intro with the dean and some of the staff and they talk about the school and their philosophy in a conference room with all the applicants. After a few hours they do individual interviews with one applicant and two interviewers in the room, while the other applicants listen to a presentation on finical's (or vice versa). The interview is pretty relaxed they have your file, but they don't have any of the statistics so its kind of closed file, but not really. They just ask normal interview questions, some easy some hard, but you are not grilled (or I wasn't). Then you go to lunch with the staff. After that a tour of the campus if the construction site is accesible (which it should be at this point) then you are done. Good luck on your interview.

I'll echo the above comments. However, I would say it is definitely an open file interview. They did have my stats and asked several, specific questions about them. I did have a lower MCAT score so I expected the questions about that. I wouldn't call it "grilling" but it was more than just a brief mention of it. Just want you to be as prepared as possible. Good luck. Be yourself and just try to enjoy the experience!

Also, for what it's worth, I was waitlisted (along with just about everyone else it seems). I interviewed first week of March.

Can anyone tell me what my chances are at ACOM?

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter

applying early this coming cycle

You already know that your MCAT is low. It is hard to tell how competitive you will be from year to year as standards change. Are you URM? Have any regional connections? I am not sure if Illinois is considered regional.

Best of luck.

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter

Your stats are just fine, I know many people that have been accepted this year with lower stats. Don't limit yourself to ACOM unless you really want to go there. Apply broadly.

Your stats are just fine, I know many people that have been accepted this year with lower stats. Don't limit yourself to ACOM unless you really want to go there. Apply broadly.

I tend to agree.

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

I think your stats should be just fine. It seems like a lot of people here are forgetting that a lot of osteopathic schools have average MCATs of about 25-26. Your GPAs are great for an osteopathic applicant as well.

So is pretty much everyone who interviewed from February and on getting waitlisted?

Yes, its to give everyone who's interviewing in march and April a fair chance, wait list will be re evaluated after interviews are completed

Yes, its to give everyone who's interviewing in march and April a fair chance, wait list will be re evaluated after interviews are completed

Probably true, but they lose some of the quality applicants on the wait list who move on to other schools in the meantime.

Anyone know when interviews end or when the waitlist will be reviewed and possibly pulled from?

The school gets the deposit, plus full tuition from the next student. Approx. 2k times 1/4 of 165 students.

I'm confused, why wouldn't they get a deposit and full tuition from the wait listed applicant if they were to accept them instead?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

I'm confused, why wouldn't they get a deposit and full tuition from the wait listed applicant if they were to accept them instead?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

They would get the new students deposit which goes towards the new students tuition, but they would also get the deposit from the old student who went elsewhere. Students going elsewhere makes the school money.

They would get the new students deposit which goes towards the new students tuition, but they would also get the deposit from the old student who went elsewhere. Students going elsewhere makes the school money.

But wait listed students don't pay deposits.

Do DO schools also follow the similar deadline that MD schools do with waitlisting? I've heard that either on April 15th or May 15th (I can't remember) students who have been accepted into multiple schools must let the schools know where they are going. This allows the schools to open up more spots to accept students.

I was waitlisted (interviewed march 5th) and am super nervous

I believe it's may 15. Because I see on aacomas that acom's deadline for supplemental applications is April 15th

You have heard about this though right? I was worried I was making it up or heard wrong

Now that I researching I'm not sure if for DO if they have to notify of multiple acceptances by a certain date. It just stated that if accepted after may 15th deposits are requested immediately

Does anyone know when interviews will end? The last date that I saw someone posted on here said their interview on 04/04 (tomorrow). Does anyone have one after that or known when they will end?