Applying to Columbia vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonjour13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only want to apply to one of these schools. The factors that matter most to me are the following:
  • Relative selectivity
  • What type of student they attract
  • Curriculum
  • International opportunities
Does anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

They are both highly selective. Cornell has slightly higher stats but Columbia has a lower overall and post-interview acceptance rate.

They both attract the same type of students - highly motivated, intelligent, passionate students that bring something else to the table other than academics.

Columbia is more lecture based while Cornell is more PBL.

Both have outstanding international opportunities. If you go to either school and want to do work abroad, nothing will stop you.

That being said, there's absolutely no reason to just apply to one. What is stopping you from applying to both?

Reactions: 1 user
They are both highly selective. Cornell has slightly higher stats but Columbia has a lower overall and post-interview acceptance rate.

They both attract the same type of students - highly motivated, intelligent, passionate students that bring something else to the table other than academics.

Columbia is more lecture based while Cornell is more PBL.

Both have outstanding international opportunities. If you go to either school and want to do work abroad, nothing will stop you.

That being said, there's absolutely no reason to just apply to one. What is stopping you from applying to both?

Both Columbia and Cornell are extremely competitive. I can only apply to a few more schools, and I am trying to be prudent with them.

You probably won't get into either, so I wouldn't worry too much.

What a strange thread.