Case Western vs. Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicallyBrunette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in a strange turn of events, I am finding myself choosing between Case and MCW. A little background:

I am from the Cleveland area and have lived here my whole life. I was excited to get out and explore another city for medical school, but applied to Case because it's a great school. However, I really don't want to live in Cleveland any longer. Plus the facilities kind of stink, sorry Case.

MCW was great when I interviewed. The people were nice and I like the facilities, I'm just concerned about ranking. It's decent, but honestly Case has a much better reputation which would lead to better residency matching.

Soo what do I do? Deal with living in Cleveland for four more years to go to a school with a better reputation/better residency matches (peds) or go to MCW for the new location and risk matching in a less lucrative residency. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should choose Case Western...Milwaukee is not that awesome imho.

Reactions: 1 user
I know Case is better, but isn't MCW still a solid school?

Don't worry too much about what usnwr has to say regarding medical school rank. I doubt the match list varies all that much except for institutional bias. Both programs produce great physicians though the effort depends on you as the student (no matter where you go).

With regards to peds, the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (MCW) is well regarded nationally. So is Rainbow Babies and Children (Case). Both 'rank' fairly high in various, different specialties.

Go where you see yourself happy and performing well. To me, it seems like you want to get out of a Cleveland, which might even save you some money since Case's tuition is ~57k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about your school rank affecting your residency match. Worry about:

Tuition
Home programs for your desired specialty
Atmosphere/learning environment
Curriculum
Financial aid

Edit: Also, affiliated hospitals will be important for 3rd/4th year rotations. I'm personally excited to work at some of the hospitals involved with CWRU.

Pick the school you will be happier at. If you follow your gut you won't be as frustrated as you progress through the years.

P.S. If you have any specific questions about MCW feel free to PM me.