Duke-NUS GMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I submitted my secondary app last week and was wondering around what time do they inform you about interviews and all.

Btw, I'm an overseas applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Got an invite to applicant day today. Nov. 13th in San Francisco. Overseas applicant as well. 2nd timer. 1st time waitlisted and bypassed. Hope turns out better this time around.

I've been interested in this program for a while mainly because I could see myself living in Asia for the rest of my life and also because I want to be a 'physician investigator'. I'm a white American/European who will most likely gain acceptance to a US MD school and so I'm not looking for any out of country backups. Does anyone here, who is either currently in the program, or who lives in Singapore, have any good words about this program?

Some basic questions:

1. Is English the official language in Singapore? Does everyone speak it?
  2. Does the school pay your full tuition, say like Cleveland Clinic or Pitt PSTP? Or do I still have to take out loans?
  3. What type of lifestyle can a Duke-NUS physician living in Singapore expect to have after residency? Comparable to an American physician living in America?
  4. I'm guessing health care in Singapore is socialized; does that mean physicians don't have to worry about not being able to treat patients? Are there problems with A*STAR? I.e. are patients denied necessary procedures, etc.?
  5. Compared to other universities in the area (including surrounding countries), how does NUS rank? Is it the 'Harvard' of the east? What about the medical school itself? Is it considered to be Asia's UCSF?
My main question is probably, if you are seriously considering spending the rest of your life in East Asia (Korea, China, Taiwan, Japan), would this be a good program to finish? Thanks in advance!

If you could get into a US MD program, then why not go for it instead of Duke-NUS? I believe Duke-NUS is an extension of Duke, which might be better for you if you could get in.

From what I know, there are not full scholarships for Duke-NUS. A*STAR only pays for the PhD part of your education (third year onwards) if you get the scholarship, but this is open to Singaporeans / PRs only. Duke-NUS, like US med schools, have "financial assistance schemes", but I still think you have to take a loan.

You should note that most of the doctors here graduated from the MBBS system, and the healthcare system is modelled after it. Ie. instead of interns --> residents etc, we have housemen --> medical officers --> registrars, etc. I think specialization might be different (shorter process?) but you have to check with someone else on this.

As for the med school, I can tell you the facilities will be top-notch. The new building should be finished for the 2009 intake and it uses Singapore General Hospital as a training platform, which happens to be the largest hospital here and the national referral centre, which means alot of exposure. But that said, there will probably be differences from the exposure you'll get in the US..more tropical diseases, less gunshot trauma, etc.

In conclusion, if you are planning to work in the US or prefer the US system, then I suggest you enter the US med schools. They emphasize on clinican-scientists as much as Duke-NUS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Travistravis, I think the MCAT scores will be out tomorrow. Nervous? I'm pretty calm. Resigned to my fate. I heard from my friend that Duke-NUS might accept the January MCAT results for the 2009 intake, but.... is there even a Jan MCAT?

How's your personal statement and application going? Applying to any US med schools?

Do you know if A'level results are required, and do I have to send my transcripts to WES or straight to AMCAS?

THanks!

If you could get into a US MD program, then why not go for it instead of Duke-NUS? I believe Duke-NUS is an extension of Duke, which might be better for you if you could get in.

From what I know, there are not full scholarships for Duke-NUS. A*STAR only pays for the PhD part of your education (third year onwards) if you get the scholarship, but this is open to Singaporeans / PRs only. Duke-NUS, like US med schools, have "financial assistance schemes", but I still think you have to take a loan.

You should note that most of the doctors here graduated from the MBBS system, and the healthcare system is modelled after it. Ie. instead of interns --> residents etc, we have housemen --> medical officers --> registrars, etc. I think specialization might be different (shorter process?) but you have to check with someone else on this.

As for the med school, I can tell you the facilities will be top-notch. The new building should be finished for the 2009 intake and it uses Singapore General Hospital as a training platform, which happens to be the largest hospital here and the national referral centre, which means alot of exposure. But that said, there will probably be differences from the exposure you'll get in the US..more tropical diseases, less gunshot trauma, etc.

In conclusion, if you are planning to work in the US or prefer the US system, then I suggest you enter the US med schools. They emphasize on clinican-scientists as much as Duke-NUS.

if what you are saying is true, i don't quite understand the point of this program. why offer US MD at all? this program confuses me. they offer US MD degree but seems like they want graduates to stay in Singapore. why not just offer regular medical degrees? are they trying to attract applicants from other countries?

I believe that Singapore is trying to develop her biomedical research industry. Consequently, there is a need for physician-scientists, who can understand and approach the research problem with both ends. The US system of post-graduate med is more suitable for this, and US med schools have a long history of fostering medical research within their students. This is in contrast with the MBBS programme prevalent in Singapore, where physicians are trained right after junior college.

Got an invite to applicant day today. Nov. 13th in San Francisco. Overseas applicant as well. 2nd timer. 1st time waitlisted and bypassed. Hope turns out better this time around.
That's great. I got one too. I'm choosing the one at Duke for Nov 7. Hope it goes well for all of us. You have any idea what's the routine like for that day though?

Well, I submitted my secondary app last week and was wondering around what time do they inform you about interviews and all.

Btw, I'm an overseas applicant.

Is there a secondary application for Duke-NUS? hm, I'm applying for the 2009 intake class for Duke-NUS and it appears to me that I only have to fill in the application form, complete the long essays, send in my transcripts and recommendation letters only. Can someone enlighten me about the secondary application? or is it only for overseas applicant? Thanks!

Aw, MCAT results are coming out soon!! (for the late september test takers). I'm nervous! btw, the early September results are out already!!

I think there is no secondary application, as we are applying directly to the school. The US schools have secondary applications because we apply through AMCAS.

I just got my MCATS. Can't say I'm happy, nor am I too disappointed. I wonder what kind of scores Duke-NUS is looking for?

Ratorino, good luck for your MCATs (a little late, but at least before you got your scores).

Travistravis, how did you do?

well, i still havent got the result yet...but i am not nervous as i plan to take MCAT second time if in case the score is way too low...I believe their cut off should be above 27? however, this is just my guess.

so can anyone tell me more about applicant day? as i am not in singapore nor US.
also someone mentioned that there will be 2 interviews, 1 by the panel and 1 by the students, is that a regular practice for US med sch? btw i am not going to apply for US med sch as i am not a US citizen and the chance of admittance is too low for international applicants, is it true? thx for sharing!

Travistravis, I think the MCAT scores will be out tomorrow. Nervous? I'm pretty calm. Resigned to my fate. I heard from my friend that Duke-NUS might accept the January MCAT results for the 2009 intake, but.... is there even a Jan MCAT?

How's your personal statement and application going? Applying to any US med schools?

Do you know if A'level results are required, and do I have to send my transcripts to WES or straight to AMCAS?

THanks!

Hi All, newbie here. Found this site on my research in joining Duke-NUS and it's a good read. BlackTalon, I can tell you for sure that Duke-NUS is accepting the January MCAT score. I was initially going to apply for the '10 class since I didn't have enough time to study for the Sept MCAT but their Admission Dept told me that they will consider the January score so I can apply for the '09 class. The test date is 30 and 31 Jan FYI.

Anyone applying for the 2009 intake? I'm confused about the long essays. The first one is labeled "personal statement" and the instructions to highlight anything that would help the admission committee on their deliberations. The second is "why do you want to join Duke-NUS?". I have already written a PS for AMCAS applications, but it was geared towards why I wanted to be a doctor and doesn't seem to fit either of the 2. Opinions, anyone?

BTW anyone know the mean MCAT score of Duke-NUS?

Hi All, newbie here. Found this site on my research in joining Duke-NUS and it's a good read. BlackTalon, I can tell you for sure that Duke-NUS is accepting the January MCAT score. I was initially going to apply for the '10 class since I didn't have enough time to study for the Sept MCAT but their Admission Dept told me that they will consider the January score so I can apply for the '09 class. The test date is 30 and 31 Jan FYI.

Thanks, Bioinformatics (BTW you must be good at programming huh).

Darn, I rushed my revision for the Sept test, in concurrence with my FYP and another elective. Think I should retake? That's why I was asking about the mean MCAT score for Duke-NUS.

How's your revision going? Have you written you PS yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know in what way can i get the mcat result? by mail? by email?

the release date should be 14Oct but so far i recieved nothing, no email nor mail.

I think you can check your mcat score at this website.
https://services.aamc.org/mcatthx/

The target release date is 14 Oct 5pm Eastern time.. don't think it's out yet. We would probably know the results tmw morning (singapore time) when we wake up

i cant login in the system dude.
what happen?
i just sent an email to aamc

er, it's the same userid and password as the AAMC account

Thanks, Bioinformatics (BTW you must be good at programming huh).

Darn, I rushed my revision for the Sept test, in concurrence with my FYP and another elective. Think I should retake? That's why I was asking about the mean MCAT score for Duke-NUS.

How's your revision going? Have you written you PS yet?

I was from Life Science major but have been working as bioinformatician for a few years now, so yeah I know some programming.

Haven't really started revision actually because I'm also busy working full time, hopefully 3 months of studying time is enough to refresh my memory about Physics and Chem.

The registration for January test is not even open yet so you can still think about whether you want to retake it, but MCAT is just one of the criteria for admission so if it's not really bad and you believe your other components are strong (good undergrad scores, PS and recommendation letters) you can just apply early and hopefully get early interview. But yeah, if you know that doing the January test will improve your score significantly just do it.

Good luck!

well my BS score was ok, but I was hoping to improve PS and verbal. No one knows the mean MCAT score for duke-NUS? If it's the same as Duke that would be 34.5P

I found some interesting research going on at NUS and applied last night; and I got an invite today! fast! they are offering two interview dates (but probably more to come I'm sure) on Nov 7 @ duke and Nov 13 @ San Francisco. it worked out great because i already had an interview schedule at duke on Nov 6! yay! Although this program sounds very promising and exciting, I do have some reservations (b/c of residency issues, financial aids, service years). I think it's especially scary because if you are not from Singapore, it's a whole lot of years to committ there. Anyhow, I'm pretty excited to find out about the program because I have lots of questions!

well my BS score was ok, but I was hoping to improve PS and verbal. No one knows the mean MCAT score for duke-NUS? If it's the same as Duke that would be 34.5P

dude, my PS and BS score was ok, but the verbal part is way too far to pass, i am so upset.

will u still apply with this result ? or retake and apply next yr?

Labgod, congrats on being invited... that is fast. They managed to review your whole application in a day? Wow. Your stats must be amazing. Care to share? :)

Singapore is a fun place, though admittedly rather different from the US.

dude, my PS and BS score was ok, but the verbal part is way too far to pass, i am so upset.

my score isn't fantastic either My BS score is horrible.. wasn't expecting to get so low.. But I guess I'll just submit this score. I think MCAT is jus part of the application.. and I hope it's a small part! haha..

anyone gotten an interview for duke-nus? and yes, labgod.. it's amazing how fast they invite you for interview. BUt that's good news!

my score isn't fantastic either My BS score is horrible.. wasn't expecting to get so low.. But I guess I'll just submit this score. I think MCAT is jus part of the application.. and I hope it's a small part! haha..

anyone gotten an interview for duke-nus? and yes, labgod.. it's amazing how fast they invite you for interview. BUt that's good news!

u have submitted the whole application already for the duke-nus? u r so fast. gd luck to u!

i believe MCAT is the biggest part in the application, it weigh very heavy and i dun got a fantastic GPA as well, but do have some research exp, hope it helps.

Labgod, congrats on being invited... that is fast. They managed to review your whole application in a day? Wow. Your stats must be amazing. Care to share? :)

Singapore is a fun place, though admittedly rather different from the US.

thank you! my numbers are DEFINITELY NOT amazing. but i think i am a science-heavy applicant (higher BCPM than OA GPA, higher science scores on MCAT, and lots of research experiences, etc). the goal of this program as well as the curriculum seem to be designed to produce physicians capable of investigating scientific questions, so perhaps they like applicants with strong science background. i'm really grateful for the interview and hope to find more about this program.

i have never been to singapore, but i did grow up in east asia. if singapore's anything like seoul, i will probably love it. ;)

thank you! my numbers are DEFINITELY NOT amazing. but i think i am a science-heavy applicant (higher BCPM than OA GPA, higher science scores on MCAT, and lots of research experiences, etc). the goal of this program as well as the curriculum seem to be designed to produce physicians capable of investigating scientific questions, so perhaps they like applicants with strong science background. i'm really grateful for the interview and hope to find more about this program.

i have never been to singapore, but i did grow up in east asia. if singapore's anything like seoul, i will probably love it. ;)

Haha, I doubt Singapore share many characteristics with Seoul, but I do have a few friends from Seoul living here and loving it.

So, did you re-use your personal statement from AMCAS for the first long essay?

travistravis said:

Erm, how low do you guys consider low? I heard getting around 10 gets you consideration by the admissions committee.

I think MCAT is a small but impt part of the applications process. But it's purpose is just to help you get the interview. Travis, I don't think they will put much stock into the verbal. How's your writing? Does it makes up for the verbal?

my BS is 9. I think it's quite badly done. But i kind of expected it. Was getting restless by the time I reach the bio section. Other than that, I'm alright with rest of the scores.. although they're not fantastic either.

travistravis: I haven't submitted the entire application yet. Still trying to get my recommendation letters mailed to Duke-NUS and... still tryin to complete the essay portion. I'm abit slow I guess.. I believed most ppl would have completed or are going to complete their application soon. What abt you? have you submitted yours?

labgod: I've never been to Seoul but I think Singapore's quite a nice place to stay in. Maybe you shld drop by and take a look? =D

my BS is 9. I think it's quite badly done. But i kind of expected it. Was getting restless by the time I reach the bio section. Other than that, I'm alright with rest of the scores.. although they're not fantastic either.

travistravis: I haven't submitted the entire application yet. Still trying to get my recommendation letters mailed to Duke-NUS and... still tryin to complete the essay portion. I'm abit slow I guess.. I believed most ppl would have completed or are going to complete their application soon. What abt you? have you submitted yours?

labgod: I've never been to Seoul but I think Singapore's quite a nice place to stay in. Maybe you shld drop by and take a look? =D

ratorino: ur score in BS is not low at all, believe me.
i think i will still submit the application, but considering if i should retake the mcat or not. my score is way lower than 24...i think that's too low for an interview to be offered.

however, i am strong in research exp and has ok academic background. also, i am not a singaporean, do u think it will be a disadvantage for my application? i am looking for referee in the mean time, i hope i can meet the timeline. btw, do u think a journal publication help the application? thx

ratorino: ur score in BS is not low at all, believe me.
i think i will still submit the application, but considering if i should retake the mcat or not. my score is way lower than 24...i think that's too low for an interview to be offered.

however, i am strong in research exp and has ok academic background. also, i am not a singaporean, do u think it will be a disadvantage for my application? i am looking for referee in the mean time, i hope i can meet the timeline. btw, do u think a journal publication help the application? thx

Well, Duke accepts the Jan 09 MCAT so if you can afford the time and money then go for it! Research experience will be a great help, seeing as Duke is promoted as training physician-scientists. Publications will DEFINITELY help your application. You have a huge advantage man, most of us are fresh grads and have no publications yet.

Well I'm not satisfied with PS and verbal either. Hope they won't put so much stock into it.
Are you applying to any overseas med schools? I wrote an AMCAS personal statement and am not sure if I can reuse it for Duke-NUS.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of applying to overseas schools too.... but... it's kind of expensive for me. Don't think I can afford overseas med studies. So I really really really hope my application to DUKE-NUS would be successful :D
What abt you? Which schools are you considering?

hm, I'm not sure what you wrote for AAMC application, but I don't think there's any restriction on what you wanna write for your personal statement. Perhaps something you wanna highlight to the admission committee?

BlackTalon and ratorino: where r u guys located at? east asia or US?

I'm thinking of applying to overseas schools too.... but... it's kind of expensive for me. Don't think I can afford overseas med studies. So I really really really hope my application to DUKE-NUS would be successful :D
What abt you? Which schools are you considering?

hm, I'm not sure what you wrote for AAMC application, but I don't think there's any restriction on what you wanna write for your personal statement. Perhaps something you wanna highlight to the admission committee?

Assuming you are Singaporean and educated here, admission to US schools might be a problem as most require at least a year of undergrad education in the US to be eligible. I narrowed the 120 schools into 13 that I was interested in, and emailed them abt their requirements. Only 6 replied, and only 2 confirmed they don't require a year of study in the US: Vanderbilt and Georgetown. So I'll be applying for these 2, and maybe McGill in Canada and NSW or Monash in Aus. I wanted Melbourne but they stop applications for a year to implement the new "Melbourne system". I can't really afford overseas med schools either, but am applying in case I don't get into Duke-NUS. If I have to, gotta take one heck of a loan.

So which schools are you considering?

The AMCAS personal statement asks you to write about why you want to be a doc, but the Duke-NUS asks you to highlight anything in your application that might help the committee in their deliberations. So, I'm a little unsure whether I can copy and paste. There is also a second essay on why you want to go to Duke-NUS. Haven't started on that yet. What about you?

Argh, I'm still divided on whether to retake the MCAT, but probably wouldn't feel like studying for it again.

Assuming you are Singaporean and educated here, admission to US schools might be a problem as most require at least a year of undergrad education in the US to be eligible. I narrowed the 120 schools into 13 that I was interested in, and emailed them abt their requirements. Only 6 replied, and only 2 confirmed they don't require a year of study in the US: Vanderbilt and Georgetown. So I'll be applying for these 2, and maybe McGill in Canada and NSW or Monash in Aus. I wanted Melbourne but they stop applications for a year to implement the new "Melbourne system". I can't really afford overseas med schools either, but am applying in case I don't get into Duke-NUS. If I have to, gotta take one heck of a loan.

The AMCAS personal statement asks you to write about why you want to be a doc, but the Duke-NUS asks you to highlight anything in your application that might help the committee in their deliberations. So, I'm a little unsure whether I can copy and paste. There is also a second essay on why you want to go to Duke-NUS. Haven't started on that yet. What about you?

Argh, I'm still divided on whether to retake the MCAT, but probably wouldn't feel like studying for it again.

same as me.
probably my family cant afford to pay my overseas med studies in place like US, UK and Canada. and that's y i am applying for duke-nus. may try Aus but since my mcat is too low, i may need to take the gamsat in March though i dun feel i will study as much as mcat, but heard that it is a much easier exam. however, Aus study is not cheap at all for grad entry for overseas student. seems to me that Duke-nus is my only option. what do u think?

I'm not sure about overseas studying. I haven't consider any school seriously yet.. but I'm thinking of Australia.. cos it's the nearest to home which is Singapore. yeah.. I'm educated in Singapore.. so if admission to US schools need one year of undergrad in Singapore, I guess it'll be hard for me too.

But then again, Duke-NUS program really do sound exciting. I really do like the idea of doing one year of research while studying for Med. But I don't really have any relevant research experience in Biomedical area, wonder if that will be a disadvantage for me.

Hm,.. I'm not sure about the personal statement but I don't see a problem with that... as in.. writing about your motivations for wanting to do medicine. What do the rest think abt that?

Anyway, we're about 1.5 months away from the dateline. lets hurry up and submit our application~..:D

I'm not sure about overseas studying. I haven't consider any school seriously yet.. but I'm thinking of Australia.. cos it's the nearest to home which is Singapore. yeah.. I'm educated in Singapore.. so if admission to US schools need one year of undergrad in Singapore, I guess it'll be hard for me too.

But then again, Duke-NUS program really do sound exciting. I really do like the idea of doing one year of research while studying for Med. But I don't really have any relevant research experience in Biomedical area, wonder if that will be a disadvantage for me.

Hm,.. I'm not sure about the personal statement but I don't see a problem with that... as in.. writing about your motivations for wanting to do medicine. What do the rest think abt that?

Anyway, we're about 1.5 months away from the dateline. lets hurry up and submit our application~..:D

Yes, Duke-NUS sounds exciting, but I think it is mainly because we are used to the MBBS system here. The US med schools have been emphasizing research for quite some time, perhaps cos they are all post-grad courses.

Where did you do your undergrad? Graduating july 09?

What do you plan to write for the second long essay on why you want to go to DUke-NUS, besides research?

ARGH, I'm too busy with FYP and exams.... will probably rush it at the end of Nov. Hope I'm not at a big disadvantage cos of the rolling admissions sys.

same as me.
probably my family cant afford to pay my overseas med studies in place like US, UK and Canada. and that's y i am applying for duke-nus. may try Aus but since my mcat is too low, i may need to take the gamsat in March though i dun feel i will study as much as mcat, but heard that it is a much easier exam. however, Aus study is not cheap at all for grad entry for overseas student. seems to me that Duke-nus is my only option. what do u think?

I always thought the MCAT can be used to substitute for GAMSAT. So you are taking the GAMSAT cos your MCAT was too low?

I think you should try for Duke-NUS. If you really feel that your MCAT is low... then perhaps you should retake it in Jan. You have quite abit of time to study. BTW how did you prep for your MCAT?

I always thought the MCAT can be used to substitute for GAMSAT. So you are taking the GAMSAT cos your MCAT was too low?

I think you should try for Duke-NUS. If you really feel that your MCAT is low... then perhaps you should retake it in Jan. You have quite abit of time to study. BTW how did you prep for your MCAT?

becos i am rushing for my master thesis at that time and was just back to China from my visit to US before a week from the exam, i hv just revised the material a bit and that's it.
so the poor score in MCAT is expected...um i am considering to give it a shot or retake it...still have 2-3 weeks time to consider.
gd luck to u guys :luck:

becos i am rushing for my master thesis at that time and was just back to China from my visit to US before a week from the exam, i hv just revised the material a bit and that's it.
so the poor score in MCAT is expected...um i am considering to give it a shot or retake it...still have 2-3 weeks time to consider.
gd luck to u guys :luck:

Oh my. I thought I was busy. I had around a month to revise concurrently with FYP + classes. In that case you should DEFINITELY retake the MCAT. Bet you will score much better ;)

-

Last edited:
Hey Guys, if you're taking the test in January I suggest you register ASAP if you haven't done so. I wanted to register for the 31 Jan test date but it was already filled up so I'll take mine on 30 Jan. Not sure how many more seats they can take though.

Hi, anyone has problem logging in to the Duke-NUS admission application website? I keep getting a error message that says

"Secure Connection Failed
admissions.gms.edu.sg uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The certificate is only valid for *.duke-nus.edu.sg.
(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
*This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.
* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later."

Anyone not experiencing this problem??? :confused:

Hi, anyone has problem logging in to the Duke-NUS admission application website? I keep getting a error message that says

"Secure Connection Failed
admissions.gms.edu.sg uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The certificate is only valid for *.duke-nus.edu.sg.
(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
*This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.
* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later."

Anyone not experiencing this problem??? :confused:

I had something like that before while using Firefox if I remember correctly. I think there's a button that says "Add exception" at the bottom that you can click and manually trust the security certification. Hopefully it'll be correct after that. Another possible way is to try different browser (IE, Safari) to access that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.