Duke-NUS GMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks onestepatatime... I feel abit better. Reading about ppl getting their interview invites at the same time as the secondary is stressful when I didn't receive any!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, FYI I checked with Tammie and she said that only shortlisted applicants will receive the secondary app. These will be further shortlisted for the interview invites.

thx alot blacktalon, so we are shortlisted, good to hear that, i hope we are both invited for the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, I'm hoping too. My application not very strong leh. Tammie says it may take some time to send out invites as the applicants are divided into groups which are assessed separately.

Hullo everyone.

Glad to find a thread solely abt Duke and its program!:)

I recently submitted my ap too and got the 2ndry ap which I too thought was standard since they replied less than 12hours after submission.

Anyway i hope it doesn't put me at a disadvantage that I will likely take the entire two weeks to fill it out since I'm smack in the middle of exams:eek:.

GL everyone

Hi! I'd like to say thank you first to those people who replied to my original question regarding the sending of the MCAT scores. :)

I unfortunately haven't received a request for a secondary app (I sent my primary app 11/30). I'm an international student, so I guess that would affect things?

Anyway, does anyone know until when I can hold out hope for it? Haha. :) The anticipation is killing me.

solia, dun worry, but if u are really worry, just send an email to tammie and ask abt it, she normally replied email in 2 days, gd luck to u!

I unfortunately haven't received a request for a secondary app (I sent my primary app 11/30). I'm an international student, so I guess that would affect things? Anyway, does anyone know until when I can hold out hope for it? Haha. :) The anticipation is killing me.

Hey Solia, don't worry about the secondary app. Definitely write to them and ask. I've had many emails that have been lost in "cyberspace", so getting a confirmation wouldn't hurt.

Is anyone going to be at the interview session tomorrow? Hopefully I'll get to meet y'all there.

when u hand in ur sec application? are u singaporean?

I turned in the secondary app two weeks ago, and they told me about the interview last week.
No, I am not Singaporean. I told them I'd be willing to fly over to the campus to interview and see the school first hand.

How far have you gotten in the application process?

i will hand in my secondary application this week and i really prefer to have the interview in late december.
do u think it is possible?
it would be great if u can share ur experience after ur interview and gd luck to ur interview!!!

Well I honestly think an early January interview is more reasonable due to the holiday season etc...

As well, will anybody be going to the Durham, NC for the January interviews?

All the best

thanks for ur advice, onestepatatime
late Jan will be fine with me as well if I was invited, as i have to take one to two day leave and fly over there. do u think we can choose the date for interview?
and r u from the state?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there are set dates at set locations for the North American interviews. (I am not sure if there are multiple interviews for Singapore)

So for the North American interviews you get to choose whether to go to the West Coast (San Francisco) or East Coast (Durham). However I don't think there are alternative dates.

Actually, I am from Canada.

still havent get invite...one sec like a yr long....

well neither have I. I think they have alot more applicants to process now so it might take some time. Fingers crossed

how's your secondary coming along? i'm having lots of problem with the moral essay

still working on it...i have got my sec app on 2dec so i guess we will have around the same deadline...i dun no y it is so difficult for me to write an complete essay and just throw out some words...sigh, i am very weak in writing essays

Just be patient. My friends got the interview without submitting the secondary application.Really a lucky guy. Maybe there is a batch in Jan.
still havent get invite...one sec like a yr long....

Just be patient. My friends got the interview without submitting the secondary application.Really a lucky guy. Maybe there is a batch in Jan.

is ur fd a very outstanding? and when he/she submitted the primary application?

i come up with 2 reasons for early invitation: the first one is obviously the applicant is outstanding, the second is that there's is no one to apply in that time. But seems to me that the second reason is not possible to happen. so i think ur fd should be a smart one.

Actually this makes it harder for us to be patient! Our secondary is due in a couple of days and we still have not received the invite... :(

so that is y i ask the previous question...
if he/she submit the application early, perhaps we didnt got invite becos they have a lot to process, but honestly i am not very confident becos i am just an ordinary std with ok score...

bah I think it's unreasonable to include publications in the word count of the essay. They take up a LOT:mad: lol

bah I think it's unreasonable to include publications in the word count of the essay. They take up a LOT:mad: lol

lol... of course not! but you should citate it on your cv. having a publication is a huge advantage!

has anyone rcd a confirmation email when all their supp. materials have been received like it said on the ap?

I'm just wondering because sending ref letters by intl mail takes forever; I emailed Tammie so hopefully she'll let me know monday. Really hope they've not been lost:scared: (<---lol, this face is actually really funny)

yes i received the confirmation email. the supp. materials will take time.

has anyone rcd a confirmation email when all their supp. materials have been received like it said on the ap?

I'm just wondering because sending ref letters by intl mail takes forever; I emailed Tammie so hopefully she'll let me know monday. Really hope they've not been lost:scared: (<---lol, this face is actually really funny)

I got an "application complete" confirmation email with a list of all the supplementary materials that had been received by the admissions office.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Sorry. She is a very outstanding applicant. So I think she is invited before her secondary application because of her academic performance. You can drop an email to tammie to seek for more threads.
Actually this makes it harder for us to be patient! Our secondary is due in a couple of days and we still have not received the invite... :(

I think everyone can just chill for now the school is totally swamped by applicants now and they might be a little slow with sending out the secondary applications and interview invites. Also the school usually sends out the interview invites only a week or two before the actual day. For those still waiting have a little patience the school has received something like 1800 applicants so far so its going to take a while to sort through them all. but still best of luck to everyone hopefully everyone gets their invites soon.:)

1800 applicants? thats far more than i predicted.....50/1800= 2.7%...OMG

How do you know the number of applicants?
I remember that Dr.Kamei said they do not plan to inlarge the admission number in the next few years.

I think everyone can just chill for now the school is totally swamped by applicants now and they might be a little slow with sending out the secondary applications and interview invites. Also the school usually sends out the interview invites only a week or two before the actual day. For those still waiting have a little patience the school has received something like 1800 applicants so far so its going to take a while to sort through them all. but still best of luck to everyone hopefully everyone gets their invites soon.:)

labgod, are u in the class of 2008? do u know what is the academic background of most student in class?

nope. i'm an applicant right now.

seems that u have had the interview already? u did it in US or singapore?

Hi everyone!

Just submitted my secondary application. Good luck to everyone applying!

I also realized that for the essays in my primary app, the formatting was all wrong because I used Safari. :scared: Both essays appear as 1 huge paragraph. Hope it doesn't affect my chances or anything!

Hey all!

I was just wondering if it would be helpful to the people still waiting to hear back to have some kind of list - like in the interview invite threads - of when applications were complete and when people received invites and attended interviews.

I'm not sure if it would be helpful to the people still waiting or if those who have heard back even want to share this information, but its a suggestion...

In any case, best of luck!

the numbers may seem to be huge but relax as long as u get an interview your chances of getting in is much higher. as to whether there are more than 50 spots well they will probably send out more than 50 acceptance letters expecting people to reject their offer but at the end there will only be 50 students give or take one or two. the reason given by the school is that they just don't have the capacity and facilities to train more than 50 students at a time. Still everyone have faith if u get an interview then u have a 1 in 6 chance of getting in. (assuming that the total people who received interviews is around 300)

the numbers may seem to be huge but relax as long as u get an interview your chances of getting in is much higher. as to whether there are more than 50 spots well they will probably send out more than 50 acceptance letters expecting people to reject their offer but at the end there will only be 50 students give or take one or two. the reason given by the school is that they just don't have the capacity and facilities to train more than 50 students at a time. Still everyone have faith if u get an interview then u have a 1 in 6 chance of getting in. (assuming that the total people who received interviews is around 300)
According to their previous data of admission committee, they may send 150 interview, three times more than the acceptance number.

nice info! do you by any chance know roughly when the committee will start contacting applicants regarding interview results? i remember their staying that starting this year it will be rolling admissions. hopefully before end of the year?? :)

Well on the website, it says everyone should be contacted by April so it is possible that you can hear from them earlier!

I have just submitted my secondary application as well, let's update each other if we hear any thing from duke-NUS. All the best!

according to Dr Kamei if they decide that they really like you then u will get an acceptance letter about one week after they interview you. But if you are not one of them that gets an immediate reply then you will have to wait till april to know the results. And for those who get on the waitlist the wait is even longer up till july possibly. But knowing the fine calibre of everyone here I'm sure you'll all hear from them right after your interviews.:D
To those yet to have an interview knock em out and ace the interview. Best of luck especially to those interviewing on the 18th dec. :thumbup:

i have a jan 9 interview at durham.. can you tell me about your experiences w/ the duke-nus interview? id appreciate any advice/insight thanks!

Well I honestly think an early January interview is more reasonable due to the holiday season etc...

As well, will anybody be going to the Durham, NC for the January interviews?

All the best

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Just submitted my secondary application. Good luck to everyone applying!

I also realized that for the essays in my primary app, the formatting was all wrong because I used Safari. :scared: Both essays appear as 1 huge paragraph. Hope it doesn't affect my chances or anything!

mine did that too... but i just got an interview invite so i guess it doesnt matter... im sure it happens all the time... hang in there! :)

I got an "application complete" confirmation email with a list of all the supplementary materials that had been received by the admissions office.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

i got one too... they must be really backed up as someone mentioned...

Just got an interview invite ~2 days after submitting the 2ndry.

so there are two dates? one in san fran airport and the other at duke?

Can anyone explain the Team GMS thiing they said is only happening at Duke??

Status
Not open for further replies.