-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Duke
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does anyone know when Duke releases your financial aid packages? Similarly, would Duke have already notified any scholarship recipients?
diasterdream
Full Member
I was told after the second look weekend. Wasn't excited to hear that since cost of attendance is what I am using to narrow down which second looks to attend.Does anyone know when Duke releases your financial aid packages? Similarly, would Duke have already notified any scholarship recipients?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering the same thing! Could any current students provide any insight?Does anyone know whether parents and/ or significant others are invited/ encouraged to attend second look? The email makes it sound like they're not
ChemistryGirl
New Member
I called them earlier and they said they are definitely invited/ encouraged to attend!I was wondering the same thing! Could any current students provide any insight?
Are you me? This happened to me last night and I got my daily cardio in those 2.5 seconds between seeing the email preview and opening the email. had me likeWhen you read “resend” as “rescind” and your heart stops for a second
HouseOfRingers
New Member
I think we just wait. There’s no change in the portal for us to do anything, and the email just mentions contacting them if you don’t want to be on the wait list.
Just an FYI to the WL gang, the portal encourages an update: "If there are pertinent updates you might provide toward our reevaluation, please do so as soon as possible. Please address any updates to the following email address: [email protected]."
silverismycat1
Full Member
Did any of you submit updates to the portal before it stopped allowing you to? I can’t remember if I submitted an update a while ago, and was wondering if your updates show up under “Upload Files” if you did
D
deleted972488
FAFSA and CSS Profile. Good luck!For financial aid/scholarship do we have to fill anything out such as a fafsa form??
So it’s not necessarily a school specificfinancial aid form. It’s general through FAFSA and CSS?FAFSA and CSS Profile. Good luck!
Thank you! Really appreciate it!
wikidoctor
Full Member
Does anyone know if they care about hearing about scholarships you've gotten from other schools? I.e. do they match at all?
Just those two forms (with Duke as a recipient) and then you’ll submit tax documents via the CSS profile as well. Nothing school specific.So it’s not necessarily a school specificfinancial aid form. It’s general through FAFSA and CSS?
Thank you! Really appreciate it!
Never hurts to reach out and ask/explain the situation and they’ll see what they can do.Does anyone know if they care about hearing about scholarships you've gotten from other schools? I.e. do they match at all?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1st A.
I love y’all.
I love y’all.
sshar118
Full Member
Congratulations! You got the notification just now?!1st A.
I love y’all.
OncoGenieInaBottle
Full Member
Hey! Yeah I remember you had like up to a week after your interview to submit updates on the portal. I submitted an update after my interview, and I am able to see the file that I uploaded under the "Upload Files" tab. Hope that helps!Did any of you submit updates to the portal before it stopped allowing you to? I can’t remember if I submitted an update a while ago, and was wondering if your updates show up under “Upload Files” if you did
silverismycat1
Full Member
Thank you so much!Hey! Yeah I remember you had like up to a week after your interview to submit updates on the portal. I submitted an update after my interview, and I am able to see the file that I uploaded under the "Upload Files" tab. Hope that helps!
xmusjaxonflaxonwaxon
New Member
Does anyone know what percentage of the incoming class typically receives merit aid?? (regardless of whether that is partial or full tuition)
ThomasShelby
New Member
Does anyone know what percentage of the incoming class typically receives merit aid?? (regardless of whether that is partial or full tuition)
~29% iirc from the interview packet
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Anyone else get a surprise finaid package last night? A lot earlier than expected
did you get notified by email?
did you get notified by email?
Yes, at 1am EST
wikidoctor
Full Member
Merit or need-based?Anyone else get a surprise finaid package last night? A lot earlier than expected
Merit or need-based?
It is unclear? Seems all lumped into one, but it's enough that I think merit is a part of it
xmusjaxonflaxonwaxon
New Member
It is unclear? Seems all lumped into one, but it's enough that I think merit is a part of it
I called fin aid last week and they said need-based packages would try to be sent out ~ 2 weeks after you complete the FAFSA, CSS, and IDOC uploads, and that the admissions committee (not fin aid office) decides who receives merit aid and they aren't planning on meeting to determine who until after second look weekend. Once they know who, those folks should be getting calls from members of the committee telling them this (likely later in March)
I got my financial aid package also at 1 am on 2/28. Good to hear there is still a chance for merit based aid!
And 27% is what my interview packet says for the percent of students receiving merit-based aid.
Also, in the packet it talks about getting an email from the University Office of Information Technology (OIT) to set up an account to track required financial aid documents and awards. Has anyone gotten this email and made an account?
And 27% is what my interview packet says for the percent of students receiving merit-based aid.
Also, in the packet it talks about getting an email from the University Office of Information Technology (OIT) to set up an account to track required financial aid documents and awards. Has anyone gotten this email and made an account?
xmusjaxonflaxonwaxon
New Member
On the MSAR it says that Duke must be notified of acceptance of an offer within 2 weeks and also requires a $100 deposit, but there is no spot for this to happen in the portal, and they did not send any post-acceptance emails stating when/how to do this.
Can anyone expand upon this - just scared that I will miss a deadline and get the acceptance revoked.
Also, are we supposed to do anything with the Student ID # on the acceptance letter? Thanks!
Can anyone expand upon this - just scared that I will miss a deadline and get the acceptance revoked.
Also, are we supposed to do anything with the Student ID # on the acceptance letter? Thanks!
I’m not sure if we are supposed to do this. The email with our acceptance lays out the instructions and it wouldn’t make sense that we would have to accept before second look. I would stick to the instructions on the Duke decision PDF.On the MSAR it says that Duke must be notified of acceptance of an offer within 2 weeks and also requires a $100 deposit, but there is no spot for this to happen in the portal, and they did not send any post-acceptance emails stating when/how to do this.
Can anyone expand upon this - just scared that I will miss a deadline and get the acceptance revoked.
Also, are we supposed to do anything with the Student ID # on the acceptance letter? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would not recommend ignoring MSAR just in case. Please call admissions office lol.I’m not sure if we are supposed to do this. The email with our acceptance lays out the instructions and it wouldn’t make sense that we would have to accept before second look. I would stick to the instructions on the Duke decision PDF.
I would not recommend ignoring MSAR just in case. Please call admissions office lol.
Actually I saw the MSAR section you are referring to. Interesting as the instructions that Andrea Liu sent w the acceptance does not refer to this at all. @MC_Infarction or previous duke students, can you provide Any insight? I just sent an email to the office of admissions.I would not recommend ignoring MSAR just in case. Please call admissions office lol.
Last edited:
I'm glad someone is reading things like that and checking on the admin office. Would not be a good day if I can't go to Duke because I didn't read something in MSAR which I don't have.
medschoolthrowaway2020
Full Member
Lol at your meme but yeah there’s no way they would put admissions information behind an optional paywall. That would be cruel and a lawsuit waiting to happenView attachment 297441
I'm glad someone is reading things like that and checking on the admin office. Would not be a good day if I can't go to Duke because I didn't read something in MSAR which I don't have.
Very valid point. I'm still glad to hear someone is reaching out. Because putting something behind a paywall would be really cruel. But I think I have just come up with my summary phrase for the entire med school admissions process: "Cruelty behind a paywall" .... wow this process has made me cynicalLol at your meme but yeah there’s no way they would put admissions information behind an optional paywall. That would be cruel and a lawsuit waiting to happen
Hi guys, I just spoke to the admissions office via phone and email. They stated that this was the first time that they had heard about the MSAR "two weeks allotted time" and assured me that we have until April 30th. Chandima also sent me an email immediately after! See below:
Attachments
Thank you! You're a real MVP.Hi guys, I just spoke to the admissions office via phone and email. They stated that this was the first time that they had heard about the MSAR "two weeks allotted time" and assured me that we have until April 30th. Chandima also sent me an email immediately after! See below:
Very bottom page of our duke decisions PDF has a link to the bursar account! So then you use the student ID number and last name to pay for it! Office of admissions then emails you letting you know they received it.Where/how do we pay the $100 deposit? Maybe I missed that in one of the emails but I haven't seen anything about it...
Think y'all got this taken care of!Actually I saw the MSAR section you are referring to. Interesting as the instructions that Andrea Liu sent w the acceptance does not refer to this at all. @MC_Infarction or previous duke students, can you provide Any insight? I just sent an email to the office of admissions.
Hope everyone can make second look weekend! But if you can't make it, that's also totally okay, I wasn't able to make it when I was accepted and everything turned out okay for me! Happy to answer any questions before/after second look.
second look just cancelled — another one bites the dust
Glad I didn't reply what I was thinking of "almost no chance second look will be affected." I'm curious what they come up with as a way to "present DukeMed in an innovative way." I was really looking forward to meeting all my likely future classmates 🙁
gentlebalogna
Full Member
Is anyone else crazy disappointed about the cancellation? I'm really torn between Duke and University of Washington (strikingly different schools) and I was really looking to this weekend to re-assess my opinion of Duke. I was blown away during interview day, but it's a huge deal to move across the country (and pay more in tuition), so I was really looking for a critical re-exposure to the program.
Is anyone else crazy disappointed about the cancellation? I'm really torn between Duke and University of Washington (strikingly different schools) and I was really looking to this weekend to re-assess my opinion of Duke. I was blown away during interview day, but it's a huge deal to move across the country (and pay more in tuition), so I was really looking for a critical re-exposure to the program.
Really was looking forward to being in Durham this weekend :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m sorry everyone - current students are just as bummed as you all are. If anyone wants to know more about Duke/Durham, I am always happy to talk.
Yes, we are definitely bummed but hoping everyone stays safe! I’m a current student also happy to answer questions about Duke and Durham.
@MC_Infarction @olderbrooklyndoc I remember someone at my interview day mentioning that most of the first years live in the same apartment complex - if this is truue could you point me in the right direction please? thanks!!
can you comment on the student culture? (what do people like to do on weekends, is the class close-knit, etc.) also, would you say people are pretty socially conscious and/or politically involved?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K