Duke-NUS GMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"We really shouldn't read too much into the process "

Couldn't agree more. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Has anyone had any trouble calling Duke-NUS? I keep trying to call to ask Admissions about any updates, but it never connects.
Oh, on that note, has anyone else been doing that? Calling Duke-NUS to see what's up? I always feel weird doing it because I hate pestering people with questions. Does it seem to work for any of you (to get information, that is)?

Hi! Has anyone had any trouble calling Duke-NUS? I keep trying to call to ask Admissions about any updates, but it never connects.
Oh, on that note, has anyone else been doing that? Calling Duke-NUS to see what's up? I always feel weird doing it because I hate pestering people with questions. Does it seem to work for any of you (to get information, that is)?

They contacted me for clarification about something in my application a few weeks ago. At that point they had moved on to processing January interviewees already. Since I had someone on the phone already, I asked. I was told that there would be a few more interviews in Singapore in February (mostly people who took the January MCAT). They said anyone they want very badly will be contacted ASAP. Otherwise, the majority of people will not hear until end of March/early April when they have interviewed everyone and can select whoever they think will be the very best fit for the school. Sounds like with only 50 seats they are hesitant to send out too many initial acceptances when they haven't reviewed all the applicants yet... :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so exciting. Just got the acceptance from the DukeNUS

just got my acceptance as well! wooo hooo!

They contacted me for clarification about something in my application a few weeks ago. At that point they had moved on to processing January interviewees already. Since I had someone on the phone already, I asked. I was told that there would be a few more interviews in Singapore in February (mostly people who took the January MCAT). They said anyone they want very badly will be contacted ASAP. Otherwise, the majority of people will not hear until end of March/early April when they have interviewed everyone and can select whoever they think will be the very best fit for the school. Sounds like with only 50 seats they are hesitant to send out too many initial acceptances when they haven't reviewed all the applicants yet... :xf:

Thanks wannaBamedstdnt. This info is very helpful. I am not sure why I can't connect.

Congratulations to those of you got accepted recently!! So that makes about 6 or 7 sdn-ers that got in? Keep us updated about the process!!!

congrats! how did they contact you? email/snail mail?

Through email. Good Luck to those who are still waiting!

Congrats to all who got in!

I guess for January interviewers we have to wait till around March since its takes around a month and a bit.

Crossing our fingers!:xf:

congratulations to everyone that just got in - gives me hope that i wont have to wait until april! :xf:

CONGRATULATIONS!

I hope that we too may share awesome news with all of you!! :)

On the down side, this does add fuel to my obsession of email checking lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to alllll

for you guys in the states, was the email sent on singapore time frame or was it sent using USA eastern time?

Congrats to alllll

for you guys in the states, was the email sent on singapore time frame or was it sent using USA eastern time?

I'm pretty sure that all emails would be sent on Singapore time because the admissions office is located in Singapore and I just don't see them waking up at 3am to send an acceptance email.

Congratulations to those that got in! Still no news for me *sigh*.

Few questions for those that have been accepted,

1. Did you recieve any financial aid information with your acceptance notification?
2. How long do you have to accept/decline the admission offer?
3. Would you be willing to share your stats (GPA, MCAT, significant ECs)? I know this is really sensitive info, so I understand if you don't want to reveal it but it would be helpful so the rest of us can sort of gauge where we stand..

Congrats again! Good luck to those of us who are still waiting!

received the email of acceptance on 12th feb, actual mail 14th feb.
current NUS student doing my final semester.

channer to answer your question:

1) No, cause i did not apply.
2) I have till 27th Feb to reply that I have to accept.
3) MCAT: 29 ; GPA : 4.4+

Hope this helps. =)
(In my opinion I think the thing that really matters is the interview & your research. Just my 2 cents.)

Last edited:
Thanks for your post, locust! I really appreciate your candor - and the info is always helpful. Btw, is your gpa on a 6.0 scale? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with NUS's grading style.

Oh, and Congratulations!

Thanks for your post, locust! I really appreciate your candor - and the info is always helpful. Btw, is your gpa on a 6.0 scale? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with NUS's grading style.

Oh, and Congratulations!

The NUS and NTU grading systems are on a 5.0 scale

It's been awfully quiet again. Anyone heard anything from Duke? Apparently they are processing the Jan interview batch now.

It's been awfully quiet again. Anyone heard anything from Duke? Apparently they are processing the Jan interview batch now.

seems like they have been processing the January interviews for a long time... they were already in the midst of it at the end of January.. i hope they will come to some good conclusions soon! :xf:

I heard that the next major admissions committee meeting is on Monday. So there might be a string of letters going out in the next couple of weeks.

I heard that the next major admissions committee meeting is on Monday. So there might be a string of letters going out in the next couple of weeks.

Oh, Where did you hear that from? :luck:

think someone mentioned that those who were sent acceptance letters had to reply by 27feb..so im guessing that the next batch of acceptance letters will be sent in early march? ^_^

and just wondering, since the committee is processing the applications for the jan batch already, does that mean that those who interviewed in dec 2008 are less likely to get a spot in the school? till date, im guessing that about 15 or so people have been accepted by the school...including those not in SDN??

Oh, Where did you hear that from? :luck:

They had called me for clarification about my application, so I asked then.

think someone mentioned that those who were sent acceptance letters had to reply by 27feb..so im guessing that the next batch of acceptance letters will be sent in early march? ^_^

and just wondering, since the committee is processing the applications for the jan batch already, does that mean that those who interviewed in dec 2008 are less likely to get a spot in the school? till date, im guessing that about 15 or so people have been accepted by the school...including those not in SDN??

From what I understand from US medical school systems, The school's best candidates get their notifications early, and then they pool the rest from all interview batches into different tiers. These top candidates have until a certain time to respond, and based on their answer, their seat is filled or given to someone else in the next tier, and so on. My guess is that they'll either look at the late interviews and/or send out the next tier acceptances in this upcoming meeting. Then again, I am not too sure how much Duke-NUS follows US medical school admissions procedures. They might have their own admissions protocols in place that is not publicized. The best we can do is wait till April to hear a definitive answer. *sigh*

what they said during my interview was that they would send out the people they really really want early on & then pool everyone else until april.... but they said the greater majority of ppl would hear in april... so keep your hopes up, 2008 interviews still have an excellent chance of getting in! :)

i am so upset as i am not invited for the interview...wondering if i should apply next yr...congrads to all accepted

i am so upset as i am not invited for the interview...wondering if i should apply next yr...congrads to all accepted

Sorry to hear that, Travis. But 85% of applicants are not called in for interview and 95% are not accepted so you are not alone.

From what I remember from your previous posts, you mentioned your mcat score was quite low? Perhaps you could retake it?

You might also consider graduate-entry programmes in Australia:
- Australia National University
- Flinders University
- Griffith University
- Melbourne University (next program in 2011)
- Uni of Notre Dame
- Uni of Queensland
- Uni of West Australia
- Uni of Sydney
- Uni of Wollongong

Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that too!

But don't get discouraged if this is something that you really want to do!

A lot of applicants are not accepted the first time around. Think of it as an opportunity and a time to reflect on what aspects of your application you can strengthen and do your best to do it. Your resiliency to keep at it will really build character :)

Best of luck in the future!

Sorry to hear that, Travis. But 85% of applicants are not called in for interview and 95% are not accepted so you are not alone.

I never knew these statistics even when I was applying to the school. But yeah, guess i'm thankful to have gotten a chance for an interview session.

And to Travis, don't give up, if this is really what you want. You could use these next few months to beef up your CV (eg, do more volunteer or research work) or just use this time to think things through again. At least I'd planned on doing that if things don't work out for me this year.

hey Travis, my suggestion is that you should try calling Tammie to ask about your application status, assuming you haven done that.

If not you can also ask a lady name Ishiita.

Both of them are really friendly, and I believe they can help to check for you.

Do not give up hope yet. :)

got an acceptance email today!!!!!! <sigh of relief> good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back, I'm sure there are more letters going out in the next week or so after that Monday meeting!

i had to forward it to my family and make them read it to make sure i wasn't just dreaming it up...:laugh:

to those people who received acceptance letters already - did they send a financial aid package with them? There wasn't one attached to my email....

:) BOOYA!!! GOT IN!!! The wait was well worth it !!!

I think the financial package is mailed to you.

Congrats wannabeamedstudent ;)!

got an acceptance email today!!!!!! <sigh of relief> good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back, I'm sure there are more letters going out in the next week or so after that Monday meeting!

i had to forward it to my family and make them read it to make sure i wasn't just dreaming it up...:laugh:

to those people who received acceptance letters already - did they send a financial aid package with them? There wasn't one attached to my email....

Congrats!! The financial package is sent thru' email too. Mine came the day after I received the offer letter. It should come abt the same time as the snail mail.

Yeah! I got my acceptance email today too! Congrats to all who got the email today! :)

So I guess we will get our financial package soon. I guess next week because I am a North American applicant and its the weekend now in Singapore :D

Congrats!! The financial package is sent thru' email too. Mine came the day after I received the offer letter. It should come abt the same time as the snail mail.

:) BOOYA!!! GOT IN!!! The wait was well worth it !!!

I think the financial package is mailed to you.

Congrats wannabeamedstudent ;)!

thanks & congrats to you too!! hopefully some more of our interview group will be there as well! :)

Last edited:
I got my acceptance on 2/11, my financial aid hasn't come yet =/. Just sent an email to Tammie regarding when I can expect the package. So it is sent through email as well?? How does the financial aid look? I heard it was pretty generous last year. Any info? Thanks!! See you guys soon~! :laugh:

DUKE NUS 2013!!

Congratulations on all the acceptances!

I still haven't heard back so it doesn't look good for me (I interviewed in Nov). Its kinda upsetting because I thought I was a competitive applicant...guess not.

Oh well, Congrats to all the acceptees!

I got my acceptance on 2/11, my financial aid hasn't come yet =/. Just sent an email to Tammie regarding when I can expect the package. So it is sent through email as well?? How does the financial aid look? I heard it was pretty generous last year. Any info? Thanks!! See you guys soon~! :laugh:

DUKE NUS 2013!!

Yeah, my FA package came via email the day after my acceptance letter came (via email too). The snail mail..(for both letters) is slower though. It came the following week. I'm a local applicant. Maybe that's why its slightly faster? I'm not sure. But I'm sure ur package will come soon! so dun worry~:luck:

The financial aid looks alright to me? I'm not sure how they give up the award but it's pretty reasonable i think.

Yeah!~ Hope to see you guys soon!:D

so of those accepted: who's intl?

Well I am Canadian. :)

To Channer, I am sure you are a competitive applicant but all you can do is just hope for the best and keep busy and just wait for the good news to come to you.

To wannabemedstudent, I know another from our interview group that got in. Hopefully, we will hear about the financial package soon.

So how many will be accepting their offer?

See most of you later in the year :)

so of those accepted: who's intl?

international as defined by...??

i'm american ;)

Congratulations on all the acceptances!

I still haven't heard back so it doesn't look good for me (I interviewed in Nov). Its kinda upsetting because I thought I was a competitive applicant...guess not.

Oh well, Congrats to all the acceptees!

hang in there - they said MOST people would hear in april... :xf:

Sorry. I probably should've been clearer; I meant, of those accepted who is non-singaporean? ( not that I am against singaporeans:laugh:)

I just wanted to gauge the diversity of this year's class

And, I don't know if I read it clearly enough, but in the letter it doesn't explicitly say that in accepting Duke you must decline acceptance from all other schools? as was said in earlier threads I think...or am i wrong?

Sorry. I probably should've been clearer; I meant, of those accepted who is non-singaporean? ( not that I am against singaporeans:laugh:)

haha ok .. so you are from where? :)

Hi all, great to hear of more people receiving their acceptance offers! I got mine on the 12th Feb and was told to reply by 27th Feb. I was also given the option to hold my offer (which I did) until I receive news of FA. That, I was told would come in Mid March. I hope they don't release my seat as yet! Is anyone in a similar situation?

And, I don't know if I read it clearly enough, but in the letter it doesn't explicitly say that in accepting Duke you must decline acceptance from all other schools? as was said in earlier threads I think...or am i wrong?

I don't remember reading abt declining acceptance from other schools.... hmm... no offence, But i think it's not nice to accept all the offers and then decline those that you don't want much later - well, other ppl might be waiting for that seat.

Oh well, Just my 2 cents worth

I'm American, from California. =D Duke NuS is the only school I want to go to. So I'm glad I got in this year~!~!

Status
Not open for further replies.