How good is Penn State College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chopes31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently an undergrad going to Penn State University. Since I go here, there is an early assurance program to the Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey. I looked at medical school rankings all over the internet and the best I found was that Penn State was ranked N/A from US News. Anybody know how it compares to other schools and how residency programs value the school. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 36 on my MCAT. Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am currently an undergrad going to Penn State University. Since I go here, there is an early assurance program to the Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey. I looked at medical school rankings all over the internet and the best I found was that Penn State was ranked N/A from US News. Anybody know how it compares to other schools and how residency programs value the school. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 36 on my MCAT. Thanks very much!

3.9 GPA and 36 MCAT...why not Harvard?!?

To answer your question, Penn State is not ranked because they do not submit their information to US News and World Report. If they did, I'm sure they would do well in the rankings, both in Research and in Primary Care.

I'm a PSU senior right now and I'm curious as to why you took the MCAT already if you are considering the early-assurance program. You apply for that program in the spring of your sophomore year, and taking the MCAT is something that accepted applicants do AFTER they get accepted. So you're already way ahead of schedule.

PSU-hershey is a good school, butdon't worry about rankings. Your individual perfomance means much more than the school's reputation when it comes to residency. So if you're really set on PSU, do the early assurance program. If not, go through the normal application cycle and look into the other schools.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it! I really like Penn State so I just wanted to make sure that by going there, I wouldn't be putting myself into a lower category during residency applications. The reason I already took the MCAT is because I came into college with AP credits for math and physics. So by the end of my freshman year, I had taken all the biology and chemistry classes that contained material for the MCAT. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.