Input Wanted: Tulane VS. University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BooCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN Community,

I was hoping to solicit some advice in choosing between Tulane or UVM. I'm OOS at UVM so the cost difference between the two schools would be relatively small (UVM has a slight edge). Here is what I have so far, and you'll see that my observations are very subjective but ultimately I am looking for a school that prepares me well, where people are happy and the environment is supportive. I could change my mind, but for now I see myself going into Emergency Medicine.

Tulane:

-NOLA is awesome and something very different for me (as a New Englander). I loved my visit, and think experiencing a new part of the US would be awesome and an opportunity I shouldn't relinquish without a fight
-Extremely happy students from what I could tell
-Possible MD/MPH provided I want to shell out another 30 grand or so
-No family within 15 hours any direction
-P/F grading

Vermont:

-I love Burlington, and have a long history with Vermont
-Family near by (and having been out of the country for a long time, I've realized how much I appreciate having my family around)
-Love New England, the long winters and all
-The school is gorgeous, and the Vermont community/culture is very familiar to me, and I know I'd like it
-H/P/F grading

Any suggestions of what to consider in making this decision would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation, although throw Tufts and BU into the mix as well. Interested to know if others have input!!!

It sounds like the schools are the same. Tulane would be more of an adventure, but you've already had one big adventure and want to be closer to the clan now. I don't see any compelling reason against Vermont for you, OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
nola: crawfish & mardi gras
vermont: snow & cold sandwiches
nola wins.

FYI neither Vermont nor Tulane has an EM residency program. However, LSU has one just down the street from Tulane in New Orleans.

Just something to consider.

In addition, you'll likely see a wider range of pathology on the wards at Tulane compared to Vermont (b/c of a sicker low income patient population).

nola: crawfish & mardi gras
vermont: snow & cold sandwiches
nola wins.

** Burlington: snow, beautiful landscapes, trips to Montreal, gorgeous med school facilities, early clinical rotations, Loch Ness Monster thing in Lake Champlain, Lake Champlain chocolates

Personally, I would choose UVM. I thought Tulane was fine and New Orleans would be fun if you enjoy getting drunk a lot, but the only real advantage to Tulane is that you'll probably see more diseases and it's warmer. I liked Vermont better in every other way, and mixed with your family situation, I think it's an easy choice.

I'm in a similar situation, although throw Tufts and BU into the mix as well. Interested to know if others have input!!!

I didn't get an invite to Tufts, but BU 10 times out of 10 when compared to UVM and Tulane.

Status
Not open for further replies.