2021-2022 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @blessedORM for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Tulane Secondary Essay Prompts:
  1. Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 words)
  2. Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine. (150 words)
  3. Please list any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held. (100 words)
  4. Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests. (150 words)
  5. [Optional] Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background. (60 words)
  6. [Optional] In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (no limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Applying ED...anyone else?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Submit your app yet?
Sure did! Submitted Day 1, anxiously waiting for apps to transmit this Friday and for the secondary to come through!

Does anyone know if Tulane reviews your application for an interview before receiving letters of rec?

Does anyone know if Tulane reviews your application for an interview before receiving letters of rec?
They don't. You can receive the secondary before they get the rec, but they won't review your app until they get the rec

Reactions: 1 users
Do you need an MCAT before secondaries are sent? Or do they just need the verified primary?

Did you guys get secondaries yet? Did you submit? Is your entire application complete (i.e. MCAT is in, CASPER is in, all recommendations are in?)?

Question - if I submit secodnaries 1-2 days after it's released, will it harm me? Just curious...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get secondaries yet? Did you submit? Is your entire application complete (i.e. MCAT is in, CASPER is in, all recommendations are in?)?

Question - if I submit secodnaries 1-2 days after it's released, will it harm me? Just curious...
We got nothing

Yes, submitted and verified and entire application is complete. No secondary yet. You'll be fine with 1-2 days lol

I got a secondary this morning around 8am so yall keep an eye out for them! For reference, my primary app is complete and I submitted on 6/16 (ED).

I got a secondary this morning around 8am so yall keep an eye out for them! For reference, my primary app is complete and I submitted on 6/16 (ED).
Yikes what is their screen? I submitted 5/27 got verified same day

I'm an incoming T1 student. School will start for me in August and need to move as well. Will check here when I have time and try to answer questions etc. Good luck to everyone applying and hope to see y'all next year at TUSOM :)

• Care
For anyone who has submitted the secondary and received a complete email, are all the fields blank when you click on the individual sections (Application Info, Biographical Info, etc.)? On these pages it says, "This page is completed" but I can’t see what I inputted anymore
I haven’t submitted yet, but the same thing is happening to me as I’m filling it out. When I go back to the sections I’ve already saved, they’re all blank

So, have the ED applicants been the only ones to receive the secondary so far?

For anyone who has submitted the secondary and received a complete email, are all the fields blank when you click on the individual sections (Application Info, Biographical Info, etc.)? On these pages it says, "This page is completed" but I can’t see what I inputted anymore
Me too. I'm looking back at the sections and they have a green mark but I don't see what I put, so I'm concerned whether it's actually "complete". My application fee is also not working.... I'm getting billed but I don't see them receiving it/marking as complete??

What are the prompts for this year? Thank you!

Same thing happened to me with the application fee, but I emailed admissions to let them know and they were able to manually input that I paid the fee (and my status was updated on the portal). I also asked about the blank fields and turns out there is some technical difficulty with the portal so I'll have to resubmit once it's resolved, so for anyone preparing to submit, maybe wait until later in the day or tomorrow.
Thanks y’all!! 🙏

I'm an incoming T1 student. School will start for me in August and need to move as well. Will check here when I have time and try to answer questions etc. Good luck to everyone applying and hope to see y'all next year at TUSOM :)
Can you tell me about the scholarship/aid situation here. Tuition is steep. Are a lot of students getting aid, or are people really taking on 100k of debt per year?

Does anyone know how much Tulane emphasizes Casper? I selected to send them my score and I didn't score in the fourth quartile, so now I am stressed lol

• Care
Does anyone know how much Tulane emphasizes Casper? I selected to send them my score and I didn't score in the fourth quartile, so now I am stressed lol
sorry I can’t speak to how much they place an emphasis on the score, but may i ask how you saw your score?

sorry I can’t speak to how much they place an emphasis on the score, but may i ask how you saw your score?
34DE9204-84A1-4051-BF12-79F4B523C5BD.jpeg

i found this on the website!

Secondary this morning! ED :) good luck fellow ED’s! (And regular decision!)

what was the prompt for the secondary if you don't mind sharing?
Same as last year!! The only thing different is there is no word count for the “what have you been doing after graduation” prompt

Reactions: 3 users
anyone applying RD receive a secondary yet? I know tulane goes through apps really quick so a little stressed about not receiving a secondary yet..

anyone applying RD receive a secondary yet? I know tulane goes through apps really quick so a little stressed about not receiving a secondary yet..
Lol, same! Haven’t gotten anything yet!

Lol, same! Haven’t gotten anything yet!
+2 nothing yet. Took a quick look at the 2019-2020 thread, and it seems like it took anywhere from 5 to 15 days for people to receive the secondary. Some interview invites were sent out before others received the secondary.

Still haven’t gotten a secondary.

seems like ED is getting first dibs

Yes, ED gets first priority in terms of being sent secondaries and interviews.

For regular decision applicants, everyone gets sent a secondary since TUSOM doesn't screen. However, it is unknown the order that they send secondaries (i.e. linkage programs, SMP, affiliations, etc). I have classmates who received secondaries immediately to 3/4 weeks after submitting their primary. So, rather than freaking out about this, I believe your time and attention will be better spent writing secondaries. I don't know what the prompts are for this year, but perhaps check last year's prompts as an estimate and pre-write. Therefore, once you get your secondary from TUSOM, you can send it back shortly without sacrificing quality.

My reference: I went through this process last year :). However, I'm not an expert, so feel free to use my opinion as you see fit. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sad

Oh my goodness. Tulane is on probation??
The probation is for post-graduate education (in other words, the residency programs at Tulane) but nonetheless it's a serious thing for the school.
The mildest action by ACGME would have been a warning, and this rose to the next level of probation.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users