Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are these rotation options the same for LECOM students at all three campuses?
I don't see anything about international rotation options. Does anyone know if there are any available/where I can find out more info about them?

4th year here. Erie and Seton Hill get first pick of "northern" rotations sites (Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc), and Bradenton students can pick up anything that doesn't fill (including 8-10 year-long spots for 3rd year for my class, from what I remember). Conversely, Bradenton students get first pick of Florida spots plus whatever other "southern" rotation slots exist.

There are some academic opportunities in Florida (where you work in the classic student/resident/attending structure), but the ones we have tend to be at small to medium-sized hospitals like Wellington Regional (north of Miami), Northside Hospital (St. Petersburg), and Largo Medical Center (Largo, north of Tampa).

As far as international rotations, I'm not aware of any of my classmates who have done these outside of the military. Quite a few of my classmates went on medical trips to Haiti and other places the summer between 1st and 2nd year, for what that's worth.

Hope that helps answer your question. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted my supplemental for LECOM (I know this is kinda late) and just wanted to know how competitive I am with my stat.

Here's my somewhat summarized profile.

Graduated with Biology and Chemistry
Magna Cum Laude
University Honors
3.7 GPA
3.56 science
26 MCAT

Head scribe, emergency room scribe
research
supplemental instructor, tutor
medical volunteer in Nepal

and other student organizations while in school

how competitive do you guys think I am?

Just got accepted, I had started a year of Podiatry at NYCPM and decided that it was not for me. Sent in my deposit to LECOM-B today. My stats:

3.02 cumulative
3.3 science
31R MCAT

Lots of D.O. shadowing, two D.O. letters, one M.D. letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted, I had started a year of Podiatry at NYCPM and decided that it was not for me. Sent in my deposit to LECOM-B today. My stats:

3.02 cumulative
3.3 science
31R MCAT

That's pretty awesome, how long did it take you to hear back after you submitted your secondary?

3.02 cumulative
3.3 science
31R MCAT

Btw, Do you think 26M MCAT score is competitive enough?
My GPA and sGPA are pretty good.

Btw, Do you think 26M MCAT score is competitive enough?
My GPA and sGPA are pretty good.

I think with your other stats, your MCAT should be okay no doubt. Your experiences help too. EDIT: It's a bit late in the cycle, but they said they interview through April so I think with your profile you have a shot. Good luck!

It took me about a month and a week to hear back, I was complete on November 30th if I remember correctly, and I heard on January 10th about an interview for the 14th (had to scramble down to florida, lol). Decision made shown in the portal wednesday the 16th, and got my acceptance letter on the following tuesday, that is, yesterday.

I also applied to UMDNJ, PCOM, Midwestern, and NYCOM. Haven't heard from anyone, except a pre-interview rejection from MWU on the same day I got my acceptance. Too bad for them :p

I think with your other stats, your MCAT should be okay no doubt. Your experiences help too. EDIT: It's a bit late in the cycle, but they said they interview through April so I think with your profile you have a shot. Good luck!

It took me about a month and a week to hear back, I was complete on November 30th if I remember correctly, and I heard on January 10th about an interview for the 14th (had to scramble down to florida, lol). Decision made shown in the portal wednesday the 16th, and got my acceptance letter on the following tuesday, that is, yesterday.

I also applied to UMDNJ, PCOM, Midwestern, and NYCOM. Haven't heard from anyone, except a pre-interview rejection from MWU on the same day I got my acceptance. Too bad for them :p

Oh that helps so much, thank you!
so you heard back pretty quick after the interview huh??
I have also applied to MWU, PCOM, VCOM and NYCOM. Hopefully, I'll be able to join your class at LECOM cuz I really like the campus!

I'm not sure how they rank but they have a pass rate that's just a point or two behind the pass rate average for MD schools IIRC. Their COMLEX rate is excellent, PBL has good pass rates.

Does anyone know how LECOM-B ranks in its USMLE scores?

The most recent numbers I could find from our dean's hour presentations are for the class of 2012, and list a passing rate of 98% on Step 1.

However, some caveats: I don't know how many people took the USMLE, but if I had to guess, I'd say 40-50. Odds are these folks are closer to the top than to the bottom of their class, and were also looking to do MD residencies from an early point in med school and/or did their own homework about why it might be a good idea to take it. So what I'm saying is, this is a small, self-motivated bunch... I'm not sure how much their performance tells you about the school as a whole.

Only other thing to tell you is that, in my opinion, the school does not particularly encourage people to take the USMLE. They recommend that only people getting solid B's in PBL take it. However, they won't stop you if you want to take the test with a lower average.

Is the Lecom Bradenton sga forums for students only?
http://www.lecombsga.com/forum
I am having trouble registering a username to access the forums. It is asking me for:

Code B:
This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

I have no idea what to put....

I am having trouble registering a username to access the forums. It is asking me for:

Code B:

as far as I know, its for current and accepted students. After submitting the deposit, I was sent instructions via email on how to access the forums.

Members don't see this ad :)

Code B:

It's kind of quiet. So you aren't missing much right now

Just withdrew my seat, hope someone here gets it :thumbup:

Does anyone know how LECOM-B ranks in its USMLE scores?

Not sure about exact numbers but pass rates and scores are generally quite high, however this is probably due (as was said before) to a small number of students actually taking it. They highly discourage you from taking it if your average is less than a 85% in PBL.

Comlex scores are well above the mean....I believe at last admin hr they were saying about 560. Very few failures. They say nobody at lecom has ever failed comlex who maintained a B average.

I interviewed at LECOM on Monday and thought it went well. I can't remember what they said about the fee to reserve your spot if you're accepted - is it $1500 within two weeks of acceptance? That's what I'm remembering, but seems so high compared to other schools. Just wanted to make sure I had that figure correct.

That's correct! :thumbdown:

I interviewed at LECOM on Monday and thought it went well. I can't remember what they said about the fee to reserve your spot if you're accepted - is it $1500 within two weeks of acceptance? That's what I'm remembering, but seems so high compared to other schools. Just wanted to make sure I had that figure correct.

its right in the same range with most other DO schools. The main difference is some of the other schools don't make you pay the full amount all at once.

I just got accepted yesterday, I interviewed 1/23.
GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 31N

I applied to AACOMAS pretty late in the game (around November).

Interviewed 2/1. I thought it went great...can't wait to hear back!

Any recommendation for the most affordable hotel nearby? How much is a cab ride from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to LECOM?

Hey, just wanted to throw this out there and maybe it's still a little early for this. But, if anyone is looking at housing and wants an opinion on the Springs on SR-64, I can only say good things about them. The management has been awesome and have gone above and beyond (to the point of actually doing me a couple really solid personal favors at their expense) and I can't recommend them enough. Send me a PM (I don't get on here too often anymore, and a PM notice will send me an email) and I'd be happy to explain more if anyone is wanting the opinion. Just wanted to make that available to you all, since I benefited so much from the first years (now 2nd years) who did the same for me last year.

Congrats to all the new acceptances btw, you guys are going to love it. While not perfect, Lecom is still awesome and PBL absolutely spoils you. My tolerance level for lectures has plummeted. When we do have class it's just absolute torture now... :p anyway, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to respond in a semi-reasonable timeframe.

Any recommendation for the most affordable hotel nearby? How much is a cab ride from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to LECOM?

I interviewed last cycle and stayed at the wingate. They had a deal where it was like $65 ish/night for any room, including suites. I've heard that's gone up (to maybe $100ish? Somebody would need to verify that) so they may not be the cheapest anymore, however they're dang close to campus, which is worth it's weight in gold if you're coming from the west coast and fighting jet lag the next morning (7 or 8 am interview that starts at like 4am your time).

As for the taxi, I just rented a car and I don't think rentals are too expensive this time of year. You could even see if anyone else interviewing on that day will split the rental with you.

Does anyone here know if LECOM-B accepts people off the alternate list?

Are the interviews at LECOM-B the same as at LECOM-E (group interviews)? I thought the LECOM-E interview day was pretty rushed.

Are the interviews at LECOM-B the same as at LECOM-E (group interviews)? I thought the LECOM-E interview day was pretty rushed.

Yep they're also group interviews :thumbdown:

if you can i would rent a car. that way you can see the surrounding areas.
cabs are usually ~30-40 from Bradenton/Sarasota airport.
Although I stayed at a cheaper hotel I kind of wish I had stayed at the wingate. they even have lecom discount.

if you can i would rent a car. that way you can see the surrounding areas.
cabs are usually ~30-40 from Bradenton/Sarasota airport.
Although I stayed at a cheaper hotel I kind of wish I had stayed at the wingate. they even have lecom discount.

I only have a permit so I cant rent a car. I think I will stay at the Wingate since it is the closest hotel to LECOM. Guess I'll have to eat another $100 in cab fare...

Any advice for the interview day?

I only have a permit so I cant rent a car. I think I will stay at the Wingate since it is the closest hotel to LECOM. Guess I'll have to eat another $100 in cab fare...

If you hang out in the lobby at the the Wingate, you will probably see others that look like pre-meds check in the day before the interview, or at the (good) free breakfast the morning of. You could try to bum a ride from someone at that time. When I interviewed, I gave a guy a ride to the interview and back to the hotel.

There is a Wal-mart across the street from the Wingate, and a Burger King up the road a bit. You should be able to find other meals fairly easy. But eat the free breakfast.

As for interview advice, I can't give any. My interview resulted in a wait list spot. All I can say is that group interviews SUCK!

Good luck
dsoz

On my interview day the interview was the first thing we did. They interview you in groups of 6 selected by alphabetical order, and there are two interviewers. I think the good thing about the group interview is that you don't get as nervous as a one-on-one interview. Of course the downside is it can be hard to get a word in edgewise. I think all they are looking for is that you can interact well in a group to gauge your success in PBL, in the future.

It seems like most people on here didn't enjoy their interview, but mine seemed pretty laid-back. It was more like a group discussion than an interview. I guess I just got lucky with my group. I tried to speak once for every question, and I think I only left 2 unanswered. I actually talked the second-least out of my interview group of 6 and I got accepted. I think the key is to just relax, give well thought out answers, and try to speak at least once per question.

Honestly, I am not entirely sure what they're looking for in interviews. Just be yourself, I guess? And try not to get too weirded out by the group format. One of the upsides is that you get time to form your answers while other people are answering. I don't know if it's beneficial to answer every question, but in our group, everyone took turns answering every question. It was casual in that it didn't feel like a stress interview, but it definitely wasn't as conversational and friendly-feeling as any of my other interviews.

During the presentations, we were told that they were looking for people who would succeed in PBL, so they'll look at how your characteristics will fit with PBL and how well you did when taking on a heavy course load in school (among other typical factors, but they seemed to stress these particular things). They're also very big on professionalism and rules. You have the chance to speak with someone after the day is over if you felt that you didn't really have a chance to say things you wanted to say during the interview. Also, if you get wait-listed, and you know that LECOM-B is for you, we were told to make yourself heard (so LOIs, updates, etc), and it will work in your favor. So as weird as I felt the interview was, they did make up for it with this? :)

Good luck with your interview!

Last edited:
Just got an interview for 3/1! I'm excited! Anyone else have an interview that day?

Just got an interview for 3/1! I'm excited! Anyone else have an interview that day?

My application just went under review on Friday at afternoon. I'm still waiting to hear, but I will try to get that day if they give me an interview offer.

Hi everyone,

First i would like to say congrats to everyone who got accepted to Lecom :thumbup::)
I just took my MCATS on Jan 26 2013, and will be applying to LECOM- B in June. Im so nervous because this is my top choice i love the PBL curriculum that they offer. I am nervous about the group interview process... i usually excell in interviews - when they are one on one. so i never been in a group interview -_- can someone give me a brief overview? like what kind of questions should I prepare for?

so far my stats are:

3.78 Gpa
3.59 Sgpa
Waiting on MCAT scores to come back (2/26/13) <-- so Nervous

Hi everyone,

First i would like to say congrats to everyone who got accepted to Lecom :thumbup::)
I just took my MCATS on Jan 26 2013, and will be applying to LECOM- B in June. Im so nervous because this is my top choice i love the PBL curriculum that they offer. I am nervous about the group interview process... i usually excell in interviews - when they are one on one. so i never been in a group interview -_- can someone give me a brief overview? like what kind of questions should I prepare for?

so far my stats are:

3.78 Gpa
3.59 Sgpa
Waiting on MCAT scores to come back (2/26/13) <-- so Nervous

read through this thread. plenty of people have shared their group interview experience. good luck!

Annette says that about 150 will be on the list and last year they accepted 70...so....7/15 = 0.467 ::[

I'm canceling my interview for 3/25, Just got accepted at RVUCOM. I hope one of you guys gets it.

I have a question regarding who to call...

So, I'm working with a physician, a director at some hospital wants to make a call for me for this school. LECOM is my top choice and I'm wondering who should I direct the call to? Don or the Dean? Do you guys have any info?

I would email Anette Shively and ask for her advise on who would be the best person to be the recipient for this call. She is very quick with replying back to emails.

I would email Anette Shively and ask for her advise on who would be the best person to be the recipient for this call. She is very quick with replying back to emails.
She is? I sent her an alternate update on the 18th and she still hasn't replied..

She is? I sent her an alternate update on the 18th and she still hasn't replied..

If you were just sending her an update, she probably doesn't have a reason to reply. I am sure the update went in your file.

Ahh, I was worried that the lack of response was reflective of my chances of getting off the waitlist....unnecessary assumption on my part lol

Whenever I send updates I request I get an email confirmation back and always get one. Maybe try that if you want to make sure :)

I've been accepted to LECOM and had a few questions for any 3rd or 4th years that roam this forum.

For 3rd/4th year: How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role Do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing? and how are we protected from doing a lot of scut work?

Thanks. Looking forward to medical school :thumbup::laugh: