Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection letter received 11/08/12 Pre-interview. Good luck guys!

Does LECOM-B usually call/email for IIs? My portal says a decision has made and a letter should be coming in the next 30 days... I'm guessing rejection. Although it's all for informational purposes now...

Members don't see this ad.

Does LECOM-B usually call/email for IIs? My portal says a decision has made and a letter should be coming in the next 30 days... I'm guessing rejection. Although it's all for informational purposes now...

That's what that portal change means pre-II :( I'm sorry :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got accepted! I'm interviewing here next Wednesday and thankfully I was able to reschedule my Nova interview to the day before! So glad I don't have to plan another trip that will cost me another paycheck.

One quick question about the interview. So there is only one group interview and no one on one? I remember reading some of the posts earlier in this thread and I had the impression that everybody had their individual interview first then followed by a group interview (or perhaps it was LECOM-E and I got the two mixed up).

One quick question about the interview. So there is only one group interview and no one on one? I remember reading some of the posts earlier in this thread and I had the impression that everybody had their individual interview first then followed by a group interview (or perhaps it was LECOM-E and I got the two mixed up).

No one-on-one :thumbdown: It's understandable you were a little confused about it because I was too. I think the "no one-on-one" is recent because a friend of mine interviewed last year and told me to prepare for a quick one-on-one....which I never got hahaha. Probably cuts down on time for them, but I think it's unfortunate because the one-on-one paired with the group interaction would have been valuable info to judge someone on.

No one-on-one :thumbdown: It's understandable you were a little confused about it because I was too. I think the "no one-on-one" is recent because a friend of mine interviewed last year and told me to prepare for a quick one-on-one....which I never got hahaha. Probably cuts down on time for them, but I think it's unfortunate because the one-on-one paired with the group interaction would have been valuable info to judge someone on.

Thanks for the info!! And I agree I'd prefer they do both but oh well.. here's to hoping the group interview goes well!

Congrats to those who got accepted! I'm interviewing here next Wednesday and thankfully I was able to reschedule my Nova interview to the day before! So glad I don't have to plan another trip that will cost me another paycheck.

Nice! glad it worked out! Good luck to you and keep us updated!!!

Lawls. I'm not arguing that Bradenton (or whatever place you interviewed at, Dmr) isn't using the group interview to the best of its potential. But you said that group interviewing is a terrible idea. I disagree. If you're going to spend the next couple of years learning in a group, it's not the worst idea for interviewers to see how you act in one.

I understand what you mean and I understand LECOM's motive for doing the group interview because in the future you will have to work in groups all your life as a doctor. I wouldn't mind the group interview as much if there was also a more personal interview before or after the group one to really let the interviewee show what he/she has. I had some mature people in both of my groups (I interviewed at both LECOM's, both ending with positive outcomes), but it still felt too competitive because we all knew we wanted to give better or better "sounding" answers than the other person who answered before us. Just my own feelings after going through it. I'm sure others liked the format, and that's perfectly ok :thumbup:

The fact that they got rid of the one-on-one interviews shows how much they care to know you as an individual imo. Very unfortunate.

Has anyone received an ii recently? I was complete on Nov. 13th. and hoping to hear something soon...

Has anyone received an ii recently? I was complete on Nov. 13th. and hoping to hear something soon...

It took 12 days for complete to II for me - I feel like hearing something one way or another is pretty quick like it was for me. The holiday most likely extended your wait, but I think you'll hear something next week, at MOST the week after. Good luck :)

i selected Seton hill on my secondary app and now i realize they only have PBL. I am very interested in LDP. u guys know if there will be an opportunity to change that if i get accepted? im interviewing on Jan 18th, btw.

i selected Seton hill on my secondary app and now i realize they only have PBL. I am very interested in LDP. u guys know if there will be an opportunity to change that if i get accepted? im interviewing on Jan 18th, btw.

Wrong thread, wrong campus. LECOM Bradenton only has PBL anyways!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong thread, wrong campus. LECOM Bradenton only has PBL anyways!

lol, i know i asked the same question in the other thread a while back but no one really responded. i guess i'll try again

lol, i know i asked the same question in the other thread a while back but no one really responded. i guess i'll try again

Sorry, thought you didn't know :oops: I'd answer your question if I knew the answer!

No. You interview for the campus you have chosen only. Acceptances are for that specific campus. Seton is PBL only. You can probably call to change your application to Erie, from which you can choose PBL or LDP. But if you already got an interview for seton hill it might set you back to the review process. Best bet is so call and find out. Good luck

No. You interview for the campus you have chosen only. Acceptances are for that specific campus. Seton is PBL only. You can probably call to change your application to Erie, from which you can choose PBL or LDP. But if you already got an interview for seton hill it might set you back to the review process. Best bet is so call and find out. Good luck

arghhh!!! this is gonna suck :/
thanks though, and good luck to you as well!

I got an interview !!! ^.^ I will be coming down on January 23rd...who else will be there?

I got an interview !!! ^.^ I will be coming down on January 23rd...who else will be there?

Bradenton on the 23rd for me too!!! Super stoked!

Question to anyone: how many folks do they normally interview in a day.

Bradenton on the 23rd for me too!!! Super stoked!

Question to anyone: how many folks do they normally interview in a day.

Congrats! They interviewed about 24 people when I went. 4 groups of 6 interviewees.

im probably an idiot for doing this but.... i am a ms1 at lecom-b and I know where all of you are at right now with the uncertainty and questions of pbl and lecomb.... id be happy to answer questions for you if you pm me i will do my best to respond... although finals are in 3 weeks so it might take some time....

long story short.... i was an average student in undergrad.... wanted the absolute best medical education i could get that would prepare me best for 3rd n 4th years....

PBL is scary to say the least.... there are still uncertainties whether or not its right.... however, the facts prove it to me. LecomB is the #1 DO school in the US on boards.... and at the end of the day, your board scores are all that matter.... with between 99-100% pass rate... they know what they are doing with us. and after you get through the whole transition of PBL, i have found that most people LOVE it and would never even think about lecture again...

dont let the hours of reading scare you..... its either sit in a lecture hall for 6+hrs/day listening to professors go on and on and then go home and study all that for another 6+ hours.... or.... wake up, make yourself some breakfast, read for an hour or two, check out facebook, get some lunch, read for a few hours, goto the gym, maybe the beach for an hour, come home read for another few hours, have some dinner and then finish your reading if you didnt complete it

theres alot of reading... no doubt.... but its from the source... not some interpretation from a professor.... and you know where the boards come from? the source....

if your not disciplined, cant set a schedule for yourself, and dont trust yourself to do whats required... then dont come to bradenton. infact.... imo, if you arnt those things, you shouldnt be going to med school. those are really the only difficulties in pbl.... with a lecture you are forced to go and listen, so then you feel like you did something productive, even tho it went right through you.... with pbl, you dont have the luxury of feeling like you did the work.... you either do it or dont. as long as you can be structured and disciplined, you will succeed, and better than most other schools in the country. the hard part is that its up to you.... you could have as much free time as you want every day!!! but you will fail if you arnt disciplined.

im probably an idiot for doing this but.... i am a ms1 at lecom-b and I know where all of you are at right now with the uncertainty and questions of pbl and lecomb.... id be happy to answer questions for you if you pm me i will do my best to respond... although finals are in 3 weeks so it might take some time....

long story short.... i was an average student in undergrad.... wanted the absolute best medical education i could get that would prepare me best for 3rd n 4th years....

PBL is scary to say the least.... there are still uncertainties whether or not its right.... however, the facts prove it to me. LecomB is the #1 DO school in the US on boards.... and at the end of the day, your board scores are all that matter.... with between 99-100% pass rate... they know what they are doing with us. and after you get through the whole transition of PBL, i have found that most people LOVE it and would never even think about lecture again...

dont let the hours of reading scare you..... its either sit in a lecture hall for 6+hrs/day listening to professors go on and on and then go home and study all that for another 6+ hours.... or.... wake up, make yourself some breakfast, read for an hour or two, check out facebook, get some lunch, read for a few hours, goto the gym, maybe the beach for an hour, come home read for another few hours, have some dinner and then finish your reading if you didnt complete it

theres alot of reading... no doubt.... but its from the source... not some interpretation from a professor.... and you know where the boards come from? the source....

if your not disciplined, cant set a schedule for yourself, and dont trust yourself to do whats required... then dont come to bradenton. infact.... imo, if you arnt those things, you shouldnt be going to med school. those are really the only difficulties in pbl.... with a lecture you are forced to go and listen, so then you feel like you did something productive, even tho it went right through you.... with pbl, you dont have the luxury of feeling like you did the work.... you either do it or dont. as long as you can be structured and disciplined, you will succeed, and better than most other schools in the country. the hard part is that its up to you.... you could have as much free time as you want every day!!! but you will fail if you arnt disciplined.

TCOM has better scores :D

you have a source for your stats?

either way... lecom-b has been either 1st or 2nd in national highest average scores and pass rate --- point was pbl works

you have a source for your stats?

either way... lecom-b has been either 1st or 2nd in national highest average scores and pass rate --- point was pbl works

Yeah I wonder where those stats are from. At my LECOM-B interview they said they not only had the highest COMLEX scores last year, but also the highest in history for COMLEX.

I've been accepted here and I REALLY liked the school. Thus far I've been accepted to LMU, Bradenton and I have an upcoming interview at NSU. Of all those schools I'm leaning towards Bradenton.

Just a hard decision!

TCOM average a 566 last year? Cause Lecom-b 2014 did (For people that don't really know COMLEX scores, thats insane)

"The TCOM residents performed best in the nation for all osteopathic medical schools with an average score of 576.5. A score of 350 is required to pass the exam. The TCOM residents had a pass rate of 97.9. TCOM students have also scored the best in the nation on COMLEX Level 1 and 2 for three years in a row."

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=905

This was back in 2010 however.

"The TCOM residents performed best in the nation for all osteopathic medical schools with an average score of 576.5. A score of 350 is required to pass the exam. The TCOM residents had a pass rate of 97.9. TCOM students have also scored the best in the nation on COMLEX Level 1 and 2 for three years in a row."

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=905

This was back in 2010 however.

Thats step 3. Were talking step one. Step one passing is 400.

Have heard first and from several people that got well over 600 on COMLEX, and several 240+s on USMLE. That class was full of rockstars, but still just shows that it is possible.

Im not doubting TCOM, it is a freakin awsome school. Just wanted to let all of the future Lecom-b students know that if they trust in the PBL system and work their butt off, this system works!
Good luck everyone!

You may have some time to wait. I was complete before October 25th (submitted secondary before the 15th) and am still waiting for news one way or another.

I suppose it's the price we pay for being fairly late in the cycle. Either that or Dr. Meows just had a really outstanding application that got him fast-tracked on the road to an ii.

You may have some time to wait. I was complete before October 25th (submitted secondary before the 15th) and am still waiting for news one way or another.

I suppose it's the price we pay for being fairly late in the cycle. Either that or Dr. Meows just had a really outstanding application that got him fast-tracked on the road to an ii.
I've been complete since 10/23 with no word. And my portal status still just says that my application is under review. We'll see...

Couldn't have been that outstanding since they waitlisted me haha :oops: :thumbdown:

My wait was back in September so it could have everything to do with the timing. Maybe they just have a lot more apps to sift through at this point :(

Good luck guys! :thumbup:

They finally received my deposit! Looks like I would be calling Florida my new home. Feels good to be pretty much done with the cycle.:)

Accepted!! :soexcited: Interviewed 11/14 and got my letter in the mail today!
Good luck to everyone interviewing in the coming months, hope to see you next fall!

So I submitted my secondary for LECOM maybe the Tuesday before Thankgiving break last week. I got a call Monday morning for an interview Wednesday (guessing because I live close), yes very short notice but I'm excited nonetheless. However, I'm a bit confused on their letter policy...I have letters to submit but I'm not sure they if they meet the Evaluation criteria on the LECOM form. I assume I will have no problem getting a new letter but do they expect me to be able to obtain these updated letters in 24 hours?

Interviewing tomorrow.
A bit nervous about the group interview.
Anyone in town?

So I submitted my secondary for LECOM maybe the Tuesday before Thankgiving break last week. I got a call Monday morning for an interview Wednesday (guessing because I live close), yes very short notice but I'm excited nonetheless. However, I'm a bit confused on their letter policy...I have letters to submit but I'm not sure they if they meet the Evaluation criteria on the LECOM form. I assume I will have no problem getting a new letter but do they expect me to be able to obtain these updated letters in 24 hours?

I also got a call for an interview like that because I live close. Basically when schools have last minute cancellations they go through the list of people in the area/state.
All you need is 2 letters from science professors from your undergrad/grad school (if you dont already have a committee letter, if you do - send that) and a DO letter. does not have to meet a certain format that I am aware of other than the typical letterhead and signature. If you cannot get them before the interview they will expect them sometime after (in fact, they will remind those at the interview that have not sent them yet, to do so)

Just got a status update: "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."...so I got rejected pre-interview. I don't get it...~3.5 gpa and 25 MCAT...any suggestions or insight? :cry::cry::cry:

II today for Dec 3rd...anyone on SDN going that day? first interview and not sure how I feel about a group interview.

Just got a status update: "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."...so I got rejected pre-interview. I don't get it...~3.5 gpa and 25 MCAT...any suggestions or insight? :cry::cry::cry:

sorry to hear that. Their MCAT average is in the high 20s so maybe that had something to do with it.:confused:

sorry to hear that. Their MCAT average is in the high 20s so maybe that had something to do with it.:confused:

There are other factors that may have played into your rejection. I have a 3.67 GPA and a 26 on the MCAt

There are other factors that may have played into your rejection. I have a 3.67 GPA and a 26 on the MCAt
Thanks, were you interviewed/accepted? I called and checked in, they said their average MCAT this yr is 28.

Last edited:
I withdrew from the wait list today. Interviewed 9/10. Found out wait-list on 9/12

3.6/31R

I was accepted at Nova, COMP-NW, and OHSU. Will attend OHSU!

Good luck to all. I am not going to visit this thread again.

dsoz

I withdrew from the wait list today. Interviewed 9/10. Found out wait-list on 9/12

3.6/31R

I was accepted at Nova, COMP-NW, and OHSU. Will attend OHSU!

Good luck to all. I am not going to visit this thread again.

dsoz

LOL, well if you do end up reading this somehow, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on OHSU!

Does anyone know he VR cutoff for this school. I know I have to get at least a 25 to apply but I am wondering about VR section.... I really want to go to this school because of the PBL.

What should we bring to the interview? Any suggestions?

Does anyone know he VR cutoff for this school. I know I have to get at least a 25 to apply but I am wondering about VR section.... I really want to go to this school because of the PBL.

IDK, I scored a 10 and have an interview on the 23rd of Jan.