Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone QUESTION????

When submitting you application to DO schools (Lecom) are you able to select which Mcat score you want to send to the school, or does all your scores automatically send when you submit your application.

my first score was terrible
but my second score is Great
i just dont want my first score to hurt my chances

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone gonna be staying at Wingate on the 28th?

i've been accepted to lecom and had a few questions for any 3rd or 4th years that roam this forum.

For 3rd/4th year: How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing? And how are we protected from doing a lot of scut work?

Thanks. Looking forward to medical school :thumbup::laugh:

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone QUESTION????

When submitting you application to DO schools (Lecom) are you able to select which Mcat score you want to send to the school, or does all your scores automatically send when you submit your application.

my first score was terrible
but my second score is Great
i just dont want my first score to hurt my chances

you can't pick and choose which score gets send to schools. If you had a significant improvement in your score, then it won't hinder your chances. I had a 22 followed by a 32 and at a lot of my interviews, the interviewers were very interested in learning about how I raised my score, which gave me the perfect opportunity to explain how I have the ability to recognize weaknesses and make the necessary changes for improvement. good luck!

you can't pick and choose which score gets send to schools. If you had a significant improvement in your score, then it won't hinder your chances. I had a 22 followed by a 32 and at a lot of my interviews, the interviewers were very interested in learning about how I raised my score, which gave me the perfect opportunity to explain how I have the ability to recognize weaknesses and make the necessary changes for improvement. good luck!

Great thank you so much , i see your point cause i really did horrible during my first test my i have a dramatic increase in my second test so this actually will help in my interviews... thank you so much i feel much better

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck hope someone gets it :)!!

Edit: withdrawed is not a word LOL

If you were just sending her an update, she probably doesn't have a reason to reply. I am sure the update went in your file.

So, what do you guys do when Annete doesn't answer your email? Call?

No, I'm getting there the tomorrow to interview on the first

For some reason I thought you meant the 28th of March... Well best of luck, the earliest date I could reschedule to was April 8th...

For some reason I thought you meant the 28th of March... Well best of luck, the earliest date I could reschedule to was April 8th...

Twink. I hope you get in. I'd like a twink in my class

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I'm a 1st yr at Lecom-B.+haven't been on here in a while, but just wanted to say Congrats to all of u that have been accepted and also to those that have been waitlisted. I interviewed in Nov. 2011, was waitlisted and accepted 1 month later. During my time on the waitlist, I emailed my interviewer to thank them for their time, etc. I also emailed Ron Shively right away and 2-3wks later, to convey my sincere interest in the school and he was great about encouraging me to be patient and sure enough I got in :) (thank god!)

I am also an ambassador here and although I understand that some ppl don't particularly like the group interviews I think most of the advice in this forum is pretty accurate. Stay calm, confident and make sure that you respond a few different times, to show that you are comfortable in a group setting. Overall the day is pretty laid back and they just want to be sure that you feel as though PBL is the right fit for you.

For those who do move to Bradenton, do NOT move to West Bradenton. I made that mistake and moved in the middle of my 1st semester b/c the 30min drive was miserable and the area is pretty shady! Stay as close to SR 64,70 and Rt. 75 as you can. I live at TGM Yacht Club in Heritage Harbor and I loveee it :) There are plenty of great complexes within 15mins. to the school that are all very safe+nice places to live.
Best of luck to everyone! Keep ur heads up, I know how hard this process is, you'll all get there 1 way or another if that's what u really want :luck:

I've been accepted to LECOM and had a few questions for any 3rd or 4th years that roam this forum.

For 3rd/4th year: How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role Do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing? and how are we protected from doing a lot of scut work?

Thanks. Looking forward to medical school :thumbup::laugh:

Bump

For 3rd/4th year: How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role Do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing? and how are we protected from doing a lot of scut work?

4th year here. There's no good way to answer this. LECOM-Bradenton's rotations are all over the place, both in location and in quality. Also, things may change by the time you get to 3rd year... rotation sites sometimes change from month-to-month! The real test (in my mind) will come this June, when the first class of 200+ hits rotations. Quite a few people in my class of 160 had trouble finding *any* Ob/gyn rotation... and from what 3rd years have said, that situation hasn't improved a whole lot.

What is expected of you is likely to be different at different hospitals. You could probably arrange rotations such that you did next to nothing, if you only picked the weakest community rotations; or you could set them up for the hardest of hard-core experiences at hospitals with residency programs, if you just wanted to burn yourself out. Some academic places, paradoxically, won't allow you to do much because the intern will jack all the skills; while at some community rotations, you'll first-assist on every surgical case and help with closing the incisions. There's no real protection against scut work, so far as I know, apart from your friends and upperclassmen/women complaining about their treatment and putting bad rotation reviews on the student government website so nobody else goes there. Scut hasn't been an issue for me.

I've run into students from other DO schools and talked about rotations with them, and my guess is that LECOM's rotations are (sadly) about average for the DO world. I couldn't tell you how they compare to those at MD schools.

The best I can say about all of this is that if you are the self-sufficient type of person who can get through PBL, you should be able to set yourself up with decent rotations, at least in the specialities you're most interested in. While I can't say my experience has been smooth sailing throughout (parts of 3rd year were a little rocky, though they worked out in the end), it has still got me where I wanted to go. 3rd year electives can be tough to set up, depending on what you're trying to do; most non-affiliated hospitals won't take you until you hit 4th year. 4th year was, at least in my case, pretty easy to set up the way I wanted it.

I really have no complaints about the first 2 years, for whatever that may be worth. Feel free to PM me with questions, or post on here. I'll try to get back to you within a few days.

1st yr @lecom....there are several people who have Mac's here. Doesn't seem to be a problem, lecom just says that they are not responsible for fixing mac's in the IT dept. Where as they try their best to fix other computers for free. As far as I've seen its more based on personal preference, the only problems are when getting pdfs from upper classmen they can be difficult to convert to a mac i guess, I've never had one, just sharing what i've heard. Also i've used my ipad a few times and some things don't show up on powerpoints, but again i'm not a pro so there might be an update or something in order to fix those types of probs.

Sigh....i don't know what to do to get accepted. I am glad I got wait listed, but I am unsure as what to do. Mcat tests are not until may and I sent in two recommendation letters. I really like the school and I want to enter it. Any suggestions as to what ta do?

How Mac-friendly is LECOM-B?

1st yr @lecom....there are several people who have Mac's here. Doesn't seem to be a problem, lecom just says that they are not responsible for fixing mac's in the IT dept. Where as they try their best to fix other computers for free. As far as I've seen its more based on personal preference, the only problems are when getting pdfs from upper classmen they can be difficult to convert to a mac i guess, I've never had one, just sharing what i've heard...

Officially they may still tell you that you have to have a PC, but I have a Mac, as do quite a few classmates. I've never had a problem. The IT folks gave me the wireless password and that was my last interaction with them. I don't know anybody who went to them for actual tech support, for Mac or PC. I'm not sure what pdf conversion issue is referenced above; it's nothing I've run into.

If you already have a Mac and don't want to buy a new laptop, it will be fine. If you're buying new for med school, go with what you like.

Advice anyone?
Try also sending a Letter of Intent to Ron Shively detailing reasons why you want to go to LECOM and do PBL, and why you would be good for LECOM and why they should take you in as a student. If you can impress him with your desire to go to LECOM, you will move up the waitlist and drastically improve your chances of getting accepted most probably.

Try also sending a Letter of Intent to Ron Shively detailing reasons why you want to go to LECOM and do PBL, and why you would be good for LECOM and why they should take you in as a student. If you can impress him with your desire to go to LECOM, you will move up the waitlist and drastically improve your chances of getting accepted most probably.

excellent advice:thumbup:

hey all, i am interested in LECOM in Bradenton and wanted to share some things about me to gauge my success at getting in here. I graduated a top engineering program about 2 years ago with a 2.75 GPA and began working in industry (and still work) and HATE it, so I went back to school and began taking the Pre-Med Classes I missed that weren't part of my engineering curriculum (basically Bio, Chem2 and Orgo). In those classes I have done very well (4.0) and while I am finishing up Orgo 2 this semester, I am also studying for the MCAT. I know my ugrad gpa is low by med school standards, but considering the fact that I am a "non-traditional" student and have done very well since I have gone back to school am I still totally out of the running considering also that I don't bomb the MCAT?

Also, I had a question about the required classes for admission, specifically about the behavioral sciences classes. Is the short list of classes they give on the admissions website only what they take or are they more liberal with their interpretation of "behavioral" sciences? I have minors in both political science and economics and was hoping those counted to save me from having to take 2 more classes. I emailed admissions about this and heard nothing back so if anyone has any feedback on that, it would be appreciated!

Thanks all

I definitely don't think you are out of the running for Lecom-B. They definitely like non-traditional students and considering how well you're doing on the science pre-reqs. thats a good sign. Ofcourse a lot is going to depend on your MCAT score. I would say 28+ would give you a decent shot, assuming you get an 8+ on each section. But ofcourse these are not strict cut offs and many other factors come into play like your clinical/volunteer/life experiences. For the behavioral science requirements I would call or email them directly to be positive as to what they will and will not accept. I've always thought you needed some psych/social work, etc type behav. sciences, but again contact them directly to confirm.
Best of luck!

How long does it take to hear whether you were waitlisted, alt listed, rejected, or accepted. My candidate portal just says it will be sent to me within 30 days. I interviewed March 1st.

How long does it take to hear whether you were waitlisted, alt listed, rejected, or accepted. My candidate portal just says it will be sent to me within 30 days. I interviewed March 1st.

Don't they meet every Tuesday? Also if it says a decision has been made and you will receive a letter within 30 days, then you can just call so you don't have to wait days for the letter :)

Don't they meet every Tuesday? Also if it says a decision has been made and you will receive a letter within 30 days, then you can just call so you don't have to wait days for the letter :)

Exactly. Just call!

I got in. I called!

Does anyone know when school starts for the entering class of 2013?

Does anyone know the link to the fb link to class of 2017?

Does anyone know when school starts for the entering class of 2013?

Last yr we had orientation the last wk of July. I definitely recommend getting here by the 2nd wk of July, to get settled etc, unless u get housing set up ahead of time.

No, I'm getting there the tomorrow to interview on the first

3/1 interviewees who got in? I did :) does anyone have our calendar for fall2013?

Ps accepted students go join the fb group: lecom bradenton class of 2017

Got the letter today! I'm in! And yeah, I interviewed 3/1

3/1 interviewees who got in? I did :) does anyone have our calendar for fall2013?

Ps accepted students go join the fb group: lecom bradenton class of 2017

I think the group is hidden. I can't find it.

I think the group is hidden. I can't find it.

It's just LECOM Class of 2017 or something like that (Bradenton is not in the name...no idea why not). If you click on the group it has a picture of the Bradenton building :)

It's just LECOM Class of 2017 or something like that (Bradenton is not in the name...no idea why not). If you click on the group it has a picture of the Bradenton building :)

Weird. Thanks!

The matriculation packet says that we have to have a Windows operating system. Do you folks who have a Mac use Windows on it?

The matriculation packet says that we have to have a Windows operating system. Do you folks who have a Mac use Windows on it?

To answer your question, no, I never needed to use Windows on my Mac.

I searched my email and found the matriculation file I got over 4 years ago, and at the time it just said "Windows is recommended; Mac is not supported."

Then I looked on the portal, and what the IT people have listed as the requirements for you guys says, "All incoming LECOM students are required to have a Windows-based laptop computer." Further down, it says:
"Apple Computers
We ask that you please bring a Windows based laptop. Support for Apple computers (Mac) is limited."

Read that as you will. It's obviously changed since I started. For what it's worth, I suspect this is an edict from up north.

The only thing IT did at pre-orientation was to make sure I had antivirus software installed, and then they set it up so I could print on the library printer (at 10 cents/page), which I never, ever did. Once you have the wi-fi password, I'm not sure how much control, if any, they have about what you use on the network (or, for that matter, whether you still have antivirus software installed).

So... I have no idea what difference Mac vs. PC would make in medical school. We used the computer-based NBME (i.e. MD, not DO version) shelf exams in 3rd year, and those worked fine on my Mac. Apart from that, it was just powerpoints, pdf's, and .doc files, and those don't require a PC. Maybe a current 1st or 2nd year can comment on the reasoning here, if there is any.

Congrats to the 3/1 acceptances! Add the Facebook group and join in the conversation!

Got wait listed. Interviewed 3/1. Congrats to those of you who got in. Writing LOI. Loved this school. Hope something opens up.

Thanks again for the helpful info, altruist :)

If any 1st or 2nd year can confirm that a Mac would not be any hindrance as a LECOM student, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again for the helpful info, altruist :)

If any 1st or 2nd year can confirm that a Mac would not be any hindrance as a LECOM student, I'd really appreciate it!

I personally don't have a Mac but several of my friends and classmates (1st yrs) do and it doesn't seem to be a problem. If you scroll back to a wk or 2 ago I mentioned something about trouble transferring documents from a mac to someone else's pc or vice versa, but might just be cause we didn't know what we were doing. Overall it seems like there is very little trouble and always ways around it.

My advice is if you have a Mac already and u like it, stick with it, and if you're looking to by something new I would just go with what you like best, plenty of ppl have Macs here.

It may not be as convenient but aren't there two apple stores in Tampa? If there are no software conflicts with school I'm thinking hardware wise it may not be that big of a deal?

It's kind of a bummer LECOM require PCs and dislike ebooks when other schools even have iPad based curricula.

It may not be as convenient but aren't there two apple stores in Tampa? If there are no software conflicts with school I'm thinking hardware wise it may not be that big of a deal?

It's kind of a bummer LECOM require PCs and dislike ebooks when other schools even have iPad based curricula.

Here's what my 1st yr. friend said when I emailed her about how she likes her Mac at Lecom:
"i have mcabook air and its the greateest computer ever! i definitely recommend macs... no problems at lecom either"
Again it's one of those things that Lecom doesn't recommend but at the same time plenty of ppl have them and have 0 problems. It's all up to you honestly. And about E-books, I have a friend in my PBL group who uses all Kindle books, as long as you don't have a Pbl facilitator who's strongly against it, it works, but you don't see much of it here.