Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The matriculation packet says that we have to have a Windows operating system. Do you folks who have a Mac use Windows on it?

I asked this on the Facebook page and the consensus seems to be that having a Mac is no problem, and in fact a lot of the class has them.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone from the waitlist heard from the admissions committee? I interviewed the first and have sent two LOI. Havnt heard anything yet. I know its early, but the wait game is killing me.

Anyone from the waitlist heard from the admissions committee? I interviewed the first and have sent two LOI. Havnt heard anything yet. I know its early, but the wait game is killing me.

Negs and I've been waitlisted for 5 months - sent in two updates. How long are they still interviewing for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Negs and I've been waitlisted for 5 months - sent in two updates. How long are they still interviewing for?
I know one person that was supposed to interview the same day as me changed his interview date to early April.

Google it.

you update them on recent grades/experiences. Tell Them how after your interview their school is the best match for you.
Since they're curriculum is PBL-based, they want to know that you will fit and succeed in this program. So if I were you, I would include any grade/experience updates, but I would spend even more time explaining why you think you are a good fit.

Same. Its been five months since I was waitlisted and I haven't heard anything. Have any of you tried calling?

Same. Its been five months since I was waitlisted and I haven't heard anything. Have any of you tried calling?

I called and talked with Mr. Shively. He will tell you if there is a decent chance of getting in from the waitlist but there are no guarantees. They have to wait until spots open up from people choosing other schools and such. They cant give you any specifics because frankly, they dont know. Its a constant waiting game for LECOM and us. They are waiting for acceptances they sent out to either get taken or denied. I believe they told my interview group (March 1) that this late in the cycle, they give people 2 weeks to decide. That being said, there will also be movement after they conclude doing interviews some time in April. As a side note, you do have to call or email to accept your spot on the wait list.

Can someone here that shadow a D.O. in the Palm Beach/ Broward area give me contact information of that D.O. for me to shadow?

I would really appreciate it.

I called and talked with Mr. Shively...

Thanks for the information. I was debating whether or not to call and talk to him, but I've decided to write the LOI first. I'll probably end up giving him a call come late April however, heh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called about 20 D.O. from there. I also called the D.O.s that put themselves as mentors and no luck, maybe I call again.

Honestly I would go old school and grab a phone book. Go to a hotel in your area or the public library and find all the DOs under listed physicians.

I am still wait listed and I have been trying to call Annette shively to convey my interest. I am not happy with the level of communication. Any suggestions on who I should ask to talk to?

I am still wait listed and I have been trying to call Annette shively to convey my interest. I am not happy with the level of communication. Any suggestions on who I should ask to talk to?

I would suggest emailing Annette and Diana Hohman ([email protected]). Recently, I failed to get an email response back from Annette so I emailed Diana, who responded back promptly.

I withdrew my spot so hopefully one of you on the waitlist will hear soon

Does anyone know whether or not the apartments at Lost Creek or Carlton Arm are furnished?

Does anyone know whether or not the apartments at Lost Creek or Carlton Arm are furnished?

I visited both of these complexes last summer and as far as I know they are both unfurnished. They are also very different places price wise, etc.
Lost Creek = right across the st. from school, very nice-resort like, brand new, laundry in unit, pricey
Carlton Arms= much more affordable, not so new, ~15mins. from school, common laundry at pool area
The only furnished places I heard of were at Lighthouse Cove in Heritage Harbour, my friend lives there it's pretty nice and more affordable, and most likely if you rent a house or deal w/landlords rather than Leasing offices.

I visited both of these complexes last summer and as far as I know they are both unfurnished. They are also very different places price wise, etc.
Lost Creek = right across the st. from school, very nice-resort like, brand new, laundry in unit, pricey
Carlton Arms= much more affordable, not so new, ~15mins. from school, common laundry at pool area
The only furnished places I heard of were at Lighthouse Cove in Heritage Harbour, my friend lives there it's pretty nice and more affordable, and most likely if you rent a house or deal w/landlords rather than Leasing offices.

Thanks! Are these places rented out quickly? I'm from the Northeast area and thinking of moving down there in early June...enough time to look for these furnished apartments?

Does anyone know the OOS class makeup and average GPA/MCAT of LECOM-B? I'm a PA resident so I'm good with respect to LECOM-E's IS bias, if they have one, but I'd really like to get the hell out of this state.

Does anyone know the OOS class makeup and average GPA/MCAT of LECOM-B? I'm a PA resident so I'm good with respect to LECOM-E's IS bias, if they have one, but I'd really like to get the hell out of this state.

LECOM-B expects fifty percent of their class to be Florida Residents. Their average MCAT and GPA for out of state applicants must be above 28 and 3.5.

LECOM-B expects fifty percent of their class to be Florida Residents. Their average MCAT and GPA for out of state applicants must be above 28 and 3.5.

and just how many members are there for this class?

I believe it's at least in the 200's, but don't quote me on that. Hopefully it's enough for some of us on the WL :)

Thanks! Are these places rented out quickly? I'm from the Northeast area and thinking of moving down there in early June...enough time to look for these furnished apartments?

Early June should be plenty of time, it'll probably get pretty full by end of June/early July, even if ppl wait til July there are still plenty of places to choose from, but furnished places are pretty limited. Again try to stay as close to SR 64+70, or interstate 75. Alot of students are also at or near Colonial Grand off of University Drive, it's a really nice area.

Kind of surprised but this past Monday (4/15) I was called to interview next week (4/24). Sounds like there are a bunch wait-listed but they're also still looking around...

3.5 GPA / 26 MCAT / Paramedic since 2007

"So you're sayin' there's a chance!"

We have to wait until May? I just assumed it would be a seat every now and then.

People have been pulled off the waitlist since the fall. You're right - it's seats every now and then. Though, it doesn't seem like much lately (via posts). I wish more people SDN-ed! lol

People have been pulled off the waitlist since the fall. You're right - it's seats every now and then. Though, it doesn't seem like much lately (via posts). I wish more people SDN-ed! lol

Yeah, this is my second year being only on a waitlist and it's no fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is my second year being only on a waitlist and it's probably the worst feeling in the world.

Same! Second year on waitlists, first year on the Bradenton one though.

Does anyone know if they're done interviewing here yet?

Has anyone here been on the wait list at LECOM and successfully gotten off?

I was on the wait list in Dec and got off in March. I wrote two letter of intent - first one with mild language, second one with more extreme language.

I was on the wait list in Dec and got off in March. I wrote two letter of intent - first one with mild language, second one with more extreme language.
Did you email the letter or physically mail a hard copy?

Congrats on getting pulled off! Do u mind if I ask your stats?

I got put on waitlist the first week of interviews and got accepted in December. I posted some advice about writing a letter of intent earlier in this thread.

Did you email the letter or physically mail a hard copy?

I emailed the first one to Annette and the second one to Ron with further updates. What funny was that I didn't get a response from Ron until he called me a week or two later about my acceptance.

I saw that you also got accepted Marian. Congrats! Are you leaning toward LECOM if accepted?

Thanks :) not sure. I've already paid $3000 worth of deposits to Marian so I guess I'll wait to see how it all plays out lol

Thanks :) not sure. I've already paid $3000 worth of deposits to Marian so I guess I'll wait to see how it all plays out lol

:eek: what?! this is the highest deposit I have heard of for any school.

:eek: what?! this is the highest deposit I have heard of for any school.

Ugh I know. $1000 back in December and then I had to pay another $2000 by May 1st. Paid that one the other day. #broke

Ugh I know. $1000 back in December and then I had to pay another $2000 by May 1st. Paid that one the other day. #broke

ridiculous, especially for a brand new school that has yet to prove its capabilities.

Hey! I was there for an interview last week, so i'll tell you what they said. I think they said they expect the numbers to be somewhere around 1000 interviewed 350 offers for 150 seats. They said they expect at least 50 of the students who have been offered spots to decline the offer. I guess they keep a list of where everyone ranks, and also keep a top 20 list for whatever reason

Hey! I was there for an interview last week, so i'll tell you what they said. I think they said they expect the numbers to be somewhere around 1000 interviewed 350 offers for 150 seats. They said they expect at least 50 of the students who have been offered spots to decline the offer. I guess they keep a list of where everyone ranks, and also keep a top 20 list for whatever reason

Thanks for sharing! Good luck :) It is ridiculous that they interview THAT many people, though. Completely unnecessary!

Thanks for sharing! Good luck :) It is ridiculous that they interview THAT many people, though. Completely unnecessary!

Thanks! My portal says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days," but i'm far too nervous to call right now :scared: