MCW vs Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O 2 B A Gooner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am accepted at MCW and let's assume I am at Rosalind Franklin. I'd appreciate some advice on which school would be the option for me. Here are some things to consider:
1) I am a WI resident, but my family is in northern Chicago suburbs so Rosalind is technically close to home but MCW is cheaper by 5k.
2) I would love a research oriented exposure with good clinical exposure.
3) School that just doesn't focus on getting better grades, but developing clinical skills.

With that, I'd like to know a few things about both the schools if anyone can help me out here...
1) How do each schools grade their students?
2) Which school has bigger physician scientist training opportunities (sort of) accompanying with the clinical part?

I know MCW ranks well, but I just don't want to miss any opportunities in the excitement that I got in there. Please help!

Cheers! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am accepted at MCW and pretty much accepted (let's assume I am) at Rosalind Franklin. I'd appreciate some advice on which school would be the option for me. Here are some things to consider:
1) I am a WI resident, but my family is in northern Chicago suburbs so Rosalind is technically close to home but MCW is cheaper by 5k.
2) I would love a research oriented exposure with good clinical exposure.
3) School that just doesn't focus on getting better grades, but developing clinical skills.

With that, I'd like to know a few things about both the schools if anyone can help me out here...
1) How do each schools grade their students?
2) Which school has bigger physician scientist training opportunities (sort of) accompanying with the clinical part?

I know MCW ranks well, but I just don't want to miss any opportunities in the excitement that I got in there. Please help!

Cheers! :D

Why do you think you're pretty much accepted to Rosalind Franklin?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a student at Rosy. We have a class the first two years of medical school that focuses on clinical examination techniques and charting. As far as early clinical exposure, we have volunteer clinics for underprivileged communities-one that is especially for Spanish speaking people in the local community. It is a good opportunity to practice clinical skills while speaking Spanish.

Grades: we are on a pass fail system but the school records your class ranking to write it on your dean's letter. If you have a lower ranking the school will just leave it out of your letter.

One important aspect for me when I chose which school to attend was class attendance policy. Most of my classes do not require attendance and are recorded and posted online. This is nice when you want to go through material at your own pace. It is particularly useful when you can't concentrate for 4 hours straight and don't like waking up early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

MCW a 100%.

Here a few reasons.

1. North Chicago is utterly horrible. It's not near the city at all. I am from the area and know it well.
2. Clinical rotations are spread around Chicago and your rotation could be up to an hour from the school ie. Advocate in Oak Lawn. They don't have an AMC that they are directly affiliated with.
3. RF matches well, but that's cause the students work really hard there to overcome being a lower tier school.
4. Research at RF sucks. They really only have basic science on campus and have to work really hard to find research at other institutions. Most of the clinical sites are far away, so you'd have to commute to do research (unless done remotely). The kids I know have to do clinical research at Rush.
5. Worse facilities than MCW.
6. They do a traditional curriculum, which I think is behind the times.

I know a few people at RF and this mostly stuff from them. I also interviewed there. The students seemed great, but I just got the feel it was a little unorganized and not a quality institution. Unless RF gives you lots of cash, go to MCW.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who is just finishing up at MCW, I fully recommend it over RF.

Research opportunities are extensive (basic science and clinical). There is Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Milwaukee is cheap to live in. All of the hospitals we rotate in at close by ( Froedtert and CHW are attached to school, the VA is 5 miles away, on surgery you might go 10 miles). Great faculty. Start clinical exposure second semester of your first year. All lectures are recorded and live streamed. While first two years have a tiered grading system, there are no grade quotas - people generally do quite well. No class ranking.

In the end, choose the program that feels like the right fit for you. You'll be happiest if you follow your gut instinct. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Rosalind Franklin student finishing up, and despite the very true post of my colleague, I would have chosen MCW over RFUMS due to the resources gained by having two fantastic affiliated teaching hospitals in reach.

Rosalind Franklin can't compare in terms of clinical experience in the first two years, AND MCW is cheaper for you!

Edit: Oh! I necrobumped. Sorry!

Large dogs

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback guys....I ended up choosing UIC as am IS for Illinois and got the Chicago campus! :D