MD/PhD Secondary: Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Argle Bargle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTE. You can choose MSTP-only, or MD and MSTP. MSTP-only only requires one essay: the toughest feedback essay. MD and MSTP requires all of the essays below, except for only one of the “two options essays.” Also, if you do MD and MD/PhD, the two option essays are optional (you don't have to do either). If you choose MSTP-only, you will not be considered for MD-only if you are rejected from the MSTP program.

Note, none of the essays appear to have a character limit or recommendation.

1. DESCRIBE THE COMMUNITY IN WHICH YOU WERE NURTURED OR SPENT THE MAJORITY OF YOUR EARLY DEVELOPMENT WITH RESPECT TO ITS DEMOGRAPHICS. WHAT CORE VALUES DID YOU RECEIVE AND HOW WILL THESE TRANSLATE INTO THE CONTRIBUTIONS THAT YOU HOPE TO MAKE TO YOUR COMMUNITY AS A MEDICAL STUDENT AND TO YOUR CAREER IN MEDICINE? WHAT IMPROVEMENTS DO YOU THINK MIGHT MAKE THE DESCRIBED COMMUNITY BETTER?

2. DESCRIBE A SITUATION WHERE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO ADVOCATE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS DIFFERENT FROM YOURSELF. WHAT DOES ADVOCACY MEAN TO YOU AND HOW HAS YOUR ADVOCACY DEVELOPED? HOW DO YOU SEE IT LINKED TO YOUR ROLE AS A PHYSICIAN/LEADER? WHAT RISKS, IF ANY, MIGHT BE ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR CHOICE TO BE AN ADVOCATE?

3. WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR MOST HUMBLING EXPERIENCE AND HOW WILL THAT EXPERIENCE AFFECT YOUR INTERACTIONS WITH YOUR PEERS AND PATIENTS?

4. WHAT WILL CHALLENGE YOU THE MOST IN YOUR CAREER AS A HEALTH CARE PROVIDER WHEN YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE UNLIKE YOURSELF (E.G. GENDER, RACE/ETHNICITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, SOCIAL BACKGROUND, AND OTHER DIFFERENCE)? HOW DO YOU PLAN TO ADDRESS THESE? WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU PLAN TO USE TO ADDRESS THESE?

5. Optional 5th essay:
Giving Back To Your Community: What is the value of giving back to your community? Is it a more important attribute of a physician than of others performing other roles within a community?
--OR---
Toughest Feedback: What is the toughest feedback that you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it?

Additional information:

-High school information and rank (if applicable)

-Identify certain college courses as fitting their requirements

-identify prominent scholarships you’ve received (if applicable)

-criminal history and judicial history

-previous acceptance or deferral

-is your research interest in the social sciences? (choose yes or no)

(If yes, you choose which areas and identify people at Duke you’ve talked to about it)

-Alumni/Faculty relationships

-open-ended additional information field

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What happened to consolidating the md/phd secondaries in one post instead of making a separate post for each one?

What happened to consolidating the md/phd secondaries in one post instead of making a separate post for each one?

I wasn't actually ever planning to do that. It's not the format that the MD-only secondaries use, and I'm guessing because the list would just get WAY too long. This way all of the threads are linked from the single original thread, but you can also have school-specific conversations that don't get out of hand.

If you'd like, you can consolidate them all into a single thread, and I'll add it as another linked thread. But I do want to make sure that there are threads devoted to single threads as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for posting these.

Linking these individual threads to one 'MD/PhD secondaries thread' sounds like a fine idea. Saves the trouble of searching through extensive normal secondary threads.

Thanks so much for posting these.

Linking these individual threads to one 'MD/PhD secondaries thread' sounds like a fine idea. Saves the trouble of searching through extensive normal secondary threads.
You're welcome! Here's the MD/PhD-specific secondaries thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-2016-md-phd-secondaries-alphabetical-list.1146773/
I'm updating it whenever I find out about other secondaries, but any MD/PhD secondary thread is linked to that original thread.