Mercer School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAdoc

GAdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2011 MUSM grad - I've posted pretty extensively about the school and I've been on SDN since my pre-med days (all the way back to 2005). I try to start a thread or at least post on an existing Mercer thread from time to time just so my name stays out there in case any of you have questions about Mercer, med school in general, residency, etc.

A little about me:

I'm from rural north Georgia and I started Mercer (undergrad) in 2001 - I graduated in 2005 with a degree in bioengineering. My GPA was 3.56 and my MCAT was 24. I applied early decision to Mercer and was rejected. After I graduated, my wife and I married and we moved to Warner Robins (just south of Macon). I worked at the Medical Center of Central GA (Mercer's teaching hospital) in an engineering capacity and volunteered at a free clinic to help improve my application. Unfortunately, my second attempt at the MCAT resulted in a 22 and my second early decision application was rejected. Finally, I actually studied for the MCAT and made a 27 - that was the fall of 2005 (after I had already been rejected from early decision). For my second cycle I was ultimately wait listed. I was accepted to two Caribbean schools and to GA-PCOM but ultimately decided to reapply once more to Mercer and was rewarded with an acceptance in September 2006. I began in August 2007.

Medical school clicked for me and I did well. I intended to become a general surgeon but hated my general surgery rotation (loved surgery but not the gen surg mentality). I ended up working with a fabulous orthopaedic surgeon in Warner Robins and decided ortho was for me. I was lucky enough to match at Summa Health in Akron, OH and I'm currently in my 2nd year or residency.

Mercer prepared me for my residency and I have no doubt that their unique curriculum is what allowed me to excel. People seem worried about the cost - it is high, but over the course of a career it will pale in comparison to being able to do what I love. I still stay in touch with old professors and classmates and I fully intend to return to GA (and possibly even middle GA) when I graduate.

If any of you guys have questions about anything please PM me or respond on this thread (if it's a question that would benefit everyone).

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way to get into this school if you are not a georgia resident?

I'm a 2011 MUSM grad - I've posted pretty extensively about the school and I've been on SDN since my pre-med days (all the way back to 2005). I try to start a thread or at least post on an existing Mercer thread from time to time just so my name stays out there in case any of you have questions about Mercer, med school in general, residency, etc.

A little about me:

I'm from rural north Georgia and I started Mercer (undergrad) in 2001 - I graduated in 2005 with a degree in bioengineering. My GPA was 3.56 and my MCAT was 24. I applied early decision to Mercer and was rejected. After I graduated, my wife and I married and we moved to Warner Robins (just south of Macon). I worked at the Medical Center of Central GA (Mercer's teaching hospital) in an engineering capacity and volunteered at a free clinic to help improve my application. Unfortunately, my second attempt at the MCAT resulted in a 22 and my second early decision application was rejected. Finally, I actually studied for the MCAT and made a 27 - that was the fall of 2005 (after I had already been rejected from early decision). For my second cycle I was ultimately wait listed. I was accepted to two Caribbean schools and to GA-PCOM but ultimately decided to reapply once more to Mercer and was rewarded with an acceptance in September 2006. I began in August 2007.

Medical school clicked for me and I did well. I intended to become a general surgeon but hated my general surgery rotation (loved surgery but not the gen surg mentality). I ended up working with a fabulous orthopaedic surgeon in Warner Robins and decided ortho was for me. I was lucky enough to match at Summa Health in Akron, OH and I'm currently in my 2nd year or residency.

Mercer prepared me for my residency and I have no doubt that their unique curriculum is what allowed me to excel. People seem worried about the cost - it is high, but over the course of a career it will pale in comparison to being able to do what I love. I still stay in touch with old professors and classmates and I fully intend to return to GA (and possibly even middle GA) when I graduate.

If any of you guys have questions about anything please PM me or respond on this thread (if it's a question that would benefit everyone).

Status
Not open for further replies.