Minnesota vs Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killahbee612

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on which is better? accepted to both and trying to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

Cold or colder?

Pick the cheaper one. I didn't like all of UW's required away rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick the cheaper one. I didn't like all of UW's required away rotations.

I guess it depends what you're looking for. Average amount of away time is about 16 weeks but ~80% of 3rd year can be divided between Madison and Milwaukee if that's what you want. In certain fields it may be very beneficial to do the rotations at a hospital w/o residents and fellows because you actually get to do more.

Nobody does "lively college town" like the midwest, so I'd say go for Madison.

There is certainly a lot more to do in Minneapolis (I know you won't always be out on the town for med school, but when you do, you'll probably want to have a lot of options).

I know that both are high on the primary care rankings (Minnesota is a little higher @ #7). I believe UMN is a bit more expensive, unless you are in state.

These are just a few things that I know about the schools. Did you notice any major differences in the curriculum?

I grew up in Minnesota, went to college at Madison, and got accepted to both med schools. Madison is a super fun town and very pedestrian friendly. This is good if you like lots of coffee houses and walking and things like that. That being said, the medical school is a mile or so away from central campus and state street so you are a little more isolated which is not so fun. I was also turned off by the required away rotations...but how you feel about this partly depends on your relationship status.

Minnesota is a bit colder than Madison, if that matters. But then again, Minnesota has all those sweet underground tunnels so the overall coldness x time outside product may be less than at Madison.

Overall, I was a bit more impressed by Minnesota at my visit. This was due to 1) Avoiding away rotations 2) Not liking how far Madison's med school was from the heart of Madison and 3) Wanting a change of scenery.

Either way, good choice!

Is it just me or did anybody else think Vikings v. Packers upon seeing the title of this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.