This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ace44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I was recently accepted MSUCOM, MSUCHM and Wayne State (btw I am from Michigan) and am looking for input from anyone who knows anything about the schools, attends them or has a friend who does! The deadline for my answer to MSUCOM is coming up really soon so any input at all would be super helpful! I am especially curious about thoughts on MSUCHM's new curriculum. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne state is easily your best option. Ditch MSU DO and hold a seat at MSU MD and Wayne and compare $$ in a few months.
Why do you think wayne is the best option?

Out of these choices Wayne State is the best option I would stay far away from MSUCHM. I go to MSUCOM and it's alright but you have an opportunity at a decent MD school. Choose Wayne. Although their school is undergoing heavy scrutiny it's still an M.D. Unless you have connections a reason for MSUCOM . Go to Wayne .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Unless there's a huge difference in $$, this is really a no-brainer.

MD> DO= knock out MSU DO.

MSU CHU I'm pretty sure has been ranked under their DO program. I don't pay too much attention to rankings, but some applicants do. Their clinical training leaves a lot to be desired and their new curriculum scares the hell out of me. I was accepted there last year and withdrew my application as soon as I was accepted somewhere else. From what I remember, they have tons of mandatory attendance during business hours, tons of "intersessions" and not a lot of independent study time, even leading up to step.

Wayne has great clinical training and will leave you alone to study a lot more than MSU will. Now that I'm in the thick of things, I honestly think whichever school is the most hands-off is the best option.
Good to know. I am in a similar situation, I am scared of the hands on time from chm, but they claim they have evidence to support it works. They also tend to perform better then what their entering class's mcat would predict on usmle. It's a though call . There was also talk that Wayne was planning on revamping their curriculum so there is that too.
Do you go to Wayne?

Good to know. I am in a similar situation, I am scared of the hands on time from chm, but they claim they have evidence to support it works. They also tend to perform better then what their entering class's mcat would predict on usmle. It's a though call . There was also talk that Wayne was planning on revamping their curriculum so there is that too.
Do you go to Wayne?

From what I'm told from my friends there they are changing to a systems-based course they are no longer doing first year all physiology and then second year all path

Reactions: 1 user
Out of these choices Wayne State is the best option I would stay far away from MSUCHM. I go to MSUCOM and it's alright but you have an opportunity at a decent MD school. Choose Wayne. Although their school is undergoing heavy scrutiny it's still an M.D. Unless you have connections a reason for MSUCOM . Go to Wayne .

Hey thank you for your input! Why would you stay away from MSUCHM?

MD> DO= knock out MSU DO.

MSU CHU I'm pretty sure has been ranked under their DO program. I don't pay too much attention to rankings, but some applicants do. Their clinical training leaves a lot to be desired and their new curriculum scares the hell out of me. I was accepted there last year and withdrew my application as soon as I was accepted somewhere else. From what I remember, they have tons of mandatory attendance during business hours, tons of "intersessions" and not a lot of independent study time, even leading up to step.

Wayne has great clinical training and will leave you alone to study a lot more than MSU will. Now that I'm in the thick of things, I honestly think whichever school is the most hands-off is the best option.

Thank you for your help!! I thought that the new shared discovery curriculum was no lectures and all independent studying with some small group learning? But it really is kind of confusing to me. As far as you know is that not true? Not trying to disagree just trying to learn more.

Hey thank you for your input! Why would you stay away from MSUCHM?

Like mentioned before they are lower ranked their there DO counterpart. There's a lot of growing pains with their curriculum, in addition to the extra clinical hours they make you do where you're basically a glorified medical assistant. They just have extra stuff that eats up your time. You're better off asking someone in the class right now to have the most up-to-date information on the curriculum but this is just what I have gathered for my friends who attend CHM complain about

Similar situation for me as well, though I'm trying to weight MSU's P/F grading against Wayne's H/P/F. Also curious, what ranking did CHM place below their COM?

Similar situation for me as well, though I'm trying to weight MSU's P/F grading against Wayne's H/P/F. Also curious, what ranking did CHM place below their COM?
It's the primary care number that msucom is higher ranked. It is also higher ranked then Wayne of you think like that in PC rankings. Wayne's p/hp has a caveat
You have to honors everything for the whole semester to get it. So makes it even harder.

If you google smart ranking medical schools and you filter out for the ones in Michigan you'll notice that university of Michigan is number one Oakland his number to Michigan State COM is number three Wayne State's number 4 CHM isn't even ranked

Those are the rankings but like everybody else is saying don't go to CHM and go to Wayne instead of MSUCOM