NYMC vs George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you rather NYMC or George Washington?

• NYMC

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • GWU

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

swimdude600

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to contribute to the overwhelming number of comparison threads, but it's coming close to the deadline and both of these acceptances came in this week. I am pretty torn between the two schools and was hoping for some honest input from you all.

NYMC:
Pros: Nice facilities (especially anatomy lab), student housing (cheap), opportunity for MD/PhD (with tuition reimbursement), active students, Level I Trauma Center at local Hospital. Less expensive than GWU.

Cons:St. Vincent's is Closing for good (fewer clinical opportunities), kind of in the middle of no where, Touro Affiliation (yet to determine if this is good or bad); Clinical Simulation labs(??)

GWU:
Pros:DC is awesome, President's hospital, recently improved facilities (I really like the study areas), Decent match list, laid back students, nice Clinical Simulation labs

Cons: Expensive as all hell, Recent accreditation issues (I don't think I need to elaborate, but all fixed now), very few opportunities for MD/PhD if not initially applied through AMCAS

----I know a lot of people are going through similar decisions, but thank you for your time. Also, if you're someone hoping for a slot at one of these schools, I'll make my decision as soon as I can so you can get a shot.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both places (accepted NYMC, waitlisted GW) and I agree that you have a difficult decision. If you really think you will want to do MD/PhD, NYMC definitely seems to be more open to choosing that path after starting the MD program. Neither would be considered a research powerhouse, so it might depend on what field you think you want and what would be available for that at each school. I think GW has a more diverse offering of things to do (the "tracks" and so forth) and is in a much better location (in my opinion). I think the two schools are pretty close; I personally might give the edge to GW because of location and a couple other minor things. Good luck

I think it's a toss-up between the two as both are similar-tiered schools. But like the above said, it seems NYMC is pretty open to MD/PhD route, if you're interested in that. Also, I guess location is something you could also consider, DC vs New York.

Members don't see this ad :)
They may be similar in rankings. But I think George Washington University is considered to be a much better medical school as compared to NYMC (I've heard from program directors as well).

They may be similar in rankings. But I think George Washington University is considered to be a much better medical school as compared to NYMC (I've heard from program directors as well).

Interesting. You would think then that GWU students have a higher STEP 1 avg and a better match list? ( I chose not to state they don't because I'm not sure but I highly doubt it)

Status
Not open for further replies.