Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No takers for OSU? Knee deep in 4th year and LOVING IT.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Right? Where are all the future buckeyes? I'm starting there in less than a month and I am so excited. There's got to be somebody applying out there...

They just released our class' statistics, too. For some reason they felt the need to include the most common names, which were Emily and Tim.

https://vet.osu.edu/sites/default/files/userimages/u42/Class of 2019 profile_0.pdf

Don't get scared by the numbers, though. I was below the average on GPA and still got in :)

I'm applying... I think the reason there isn't a thread yet is that their supplement isn't available.

The experience hours are scaring me more... I'm more like 2500 vet, and like 300 animal....

"Veterinary and animal experience hours were primarily verified during the file review and interview." What does this mean? They ask you questions about your experiences to make sure you actually did them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying... I think the reason there isn't a thread yet is that their supplement isn't available.

The experience hours are scaring me more... I'm more like 2500 vet, and like 300 animal....

"Veterinary and animal experience hours were primarily verified during the file review and interview." What does this mean? They ask you questions about your experiences to make sure you actually did them?

Hello! I'm going to be a third year at OSU this fall. I was asked about some of my experiences during my interview. For my study abroad vet trip they asked questions about what vet med was like in that country. I'm equine-focused, but I had a few hundred hours in small animal. They asked me to describe a issue I saw in a dog, what caused it, how it was treated ect. They were just checking to see if I learned anything through the experiences I listed. Quality over quantity! If I said I had thousands of hours in a certain area but couldn't tell you anything about it, that would raise a red flag.

Also, I wouldn't worry about having 2500 vet experience hours. That is a good number! I had slightly less. I think the avg number of hours is inflated by those who have worked as a vet tech for years and years before applying to vet school.

I'm pretty far removed from the application process so probably won't be able to help you with those questions, but if you have any questions about clinics/4th year, send 'em my way! I'm on my shelter surgery rotation (half way through), and I've already done 11 spays/neuters :)

Hey!! I was on the waitlist for the class of 2019 but did not get in this year. I am reapplying this cycle though.
I did do a file review which I feel will help me especially with the interview portion if I am offered an interview again. There were only minor things thst i could improve so i am hopeful that my second time applying will be successful! I also have almost 1000 more hours experience even though experience was not an area they thought i needed improvement in from my file review. The more the better in my opinion! Still a little nervous applying this year though.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying again. I'm in-state and it's going to be my alma mater for my BS and MPH, so....

I interviewed last year and did a file review but the suggestions for improvement were vague and the impression I was left with was "you'll probably do better next year." I guess that I'll find out if that's true.

I'm glad someone started this thread! I'm applying here as long as they accept my biochem course! Currently waiting for admissions to get back to me on their approval.

I will be applying there too this round! :)

Good luck to everyone applying this round! I will be starting my first year as a Buckeye in a little over 2 weeks! I'm happy to answer any application-related questions and once I get started in Columbus, any class-related questions as well!

Reactions: 1 user

Don't be too worried about the experience hours. I was accepted with about 4300 research hours, but only about 300 vet hours and 46 animal hours. Just make sure you vary your experiences and see a little bit of everything - small animal and equine especially.

Hey!! I was on the waitlist for the class of 2019 but did not get in this year. I am reapplying this cycle though.
I did do a file review which I feel will help me especially with the interview portion if I am offered an interview again. There were only minor things thst i could improve so i am hopeful that my second time applying will be successful! I also have almost 1000 more hours experience even though experience was not an area they thought i needed improvement in from my file review. The more the better in my opinion! Still a little nervous applying this year though.

Think of it this way: you weren't rejected outright! They were clearly impressed. I would definitely make sure there's something you can say you worked on... for me, it was working, retaking courses, etc. Basically they like to see you're actively working towards your goal and striving for progress even if it's minor. If you have interview anxiety I would set up some mock interviews! Practice helps. Pretend it's a conversation instead of an inquisition.

Good luck to everyone applying this round! I will be starting my first year as a Buckeye in a little over 2 weeks! I'm happy to answer any application-related questions and once I get started in Columbus, any class-related questions as well!

Same here :) We're currently working on moving furniture, etc. Sounds like we're going to have a busy orientation!

I'm applying again. I'm in-state and it's going to be my alma mater for my BS and MPH, so....

I interviewed last year and did a file review but the suggestions for improvement were vague and the impression I was left with was "you'll probably do better next year." I guess that I'll find out if that's true.

Who did your file review? If possible, try and talk to Shayna Mohr. She was very helpful to me throughout the application process and very quick to respond to questions.

Same here :) We're currently working on moving furniture, etc. Sounds like we're going to have a busy orientation!

I don't actually get to move into my apartment until August 30th so that'll make for an even more fun orientation week commuting 100 miles each way. I don't care though, I'm super excited for it to start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Who did your file review? If possible, try and talk to Shayna Mohr. She was very helpful to me throughout the application process and very quick to respond to questions.

This year I did a file review with Sandra, though, as a soon to be fourth time applicant, I've also done file reviews with April and Shayna in the past. Every file review pretty much starts with someone saying that I have the type of application in which it's difficult to give suggestions for improvement. I have good recommendations, good hours, good experiences, good GRE, etc. The areas in which improvement would help most are with my GPA's but after eight years of higher education and tons of credits, getting those numbers to even budge a little is not easy. Plus, I've done well in graduate school in a heavy science curriculum and I already retook the pre-req's I did below a C in during undergrad before I started applying to vet school.

I'm applying to Ohio as well! Just submitted my application an hour ago... the wait is on.

Don't drive yourself crazy waiting yet! You've got a long wait ahead and trust me, it'll feel longer if you fixate on it. Find something to occupy yourself in the meantime, be it school or work :)

Haha yeah once I start school I'm sure it will be *mainly* gone from my mind. I hate how long and drawn out this whole process is!

I've heard from one applicant that applied to OSU that she already was immediately allowed to complete the supplemental, but I haven't heard anything from OSU. Starting to get anxious that they are missing something. Anyone have other experiences to share?

I think the universe was waiting for me to post this--got an email within a minute of asking. Off to activate my OSU account...

I haven't gotten the supplemental. But I also haven't been verified yet. Were you?

I was given the supplemental probably about 2 or so weeks after verification.

Not verified yet no supplemental. VMCAS is still claiming they haven't received my transcript (not posted on my acct) even though I have USPS confirmation and a lady's name who signed for them

Relatively soon after you are verified you will receive an email asking you to create an OSU account, then within a week or so you will get the supplemental. It was really easy and I expected to have to write essays or something else more difficult, but it was surprisingly easy.

I submitted my vmcas aug 30th and i just this week got an email saying more courses were verified? But i havent heard anything about the supplement and im worried cuz last year i got the supplement app email a week after applying. I emailed the Dean about this. But i wanted to know what you guys think.

I would say if you haven't received anything by the end of September, that's when you should start calling. It's a somewhat arbitrary date but I think it's a more appropriate amount of time to wait, especially if you're not verified yet. Plus, I wouldn't contact the dean about admissions stuff. Try "[email protected]" first. That's the generic e-mail for admissions questions. You can also call the office (614-292-1171) and usually get put through right away if any of the admissions staff is there. They're the best people to contact about the supplemental.

This is all hearsay, but I heard OSU loves connections with alum (my recommendation came from an equine surgeon who is OSU alum), and that they don't put a lot of emphasis on GRE scores. Is this true? I'm visiting Tuesday and I'm hoping I like it there.

OSU puts a lot of emphasis on alumni engagement - all the colleges too, not just the vet school.

As far as them being impressed by a particular alumni recommendation, it likely depends on the reputation of that veterinarian- how active he/she is in alumni groups and how prominent he/she is in his/her specific field. I imagine it's not rare for an applicant to have a recommendation from an alumnus since they're all over the country, especially, the Midwest. In regards to the GRE, it's definitely not a top consideration at OSU. In the past it used to be 5% of the objective evaluation (pre-interview screening). Nowadays, I don't know if they even say how much it's worth in any of their admissions materials.

I would say the GRE isn't as important as other parts of the application, so a meh score in one area is not gonna sink you. I had great scores in writing and the reading portion of the test, but only meh scores in math.

I think I was told that you could get no points from the GRE and still technically be admitted, but they did change the weighting of different things for this cycle, so I am not sure if that's still valid.

Thanks for the insight Jess Monster, and BirdsinMyHouse :) I am looking forward to visiting Tuesday! Yeah, my GRE writing was really good (4.5/6), my quant was slightly above average (mid 150s) and my verbal was bleh, but that's not how my brain works/not something I was ever great at.

Hello all! I just received an email to create an account- is this what everyone else received? Will there be an additional email for the supplemental? Thank you!

Hello all! I just received an email to create an account- is this what everyone else received? Will there be an additional email for the supplemental? Thank you!

Once you create an account you will be able to access the supplemental application through OSU's website.

I haven't received an email about my OSU supplemental yet, but on VMCAS it still says "verifying", AND I submitted relatively close to the deadline so it'll take mine a bit longer?

I would ask everyone applying to OSU this year to be patient with admissions/staff at this time, as the college is going through a very difficult/emotional few days.

I would ask everyone applying to OSU this year to be patient with admissions/staff at this time, as the college is going through a very difficult/emotional few days.
Wow, and I just emailed April... my apologies :(... I will be patient.

Wow, and I just emailed April... my apologies :(... I will be patient.

I wasn't directing my remarks towards anyone in particular, but I thought it's important to let people applying know that some sad stuff is going on and the college is sorta half-functional right now.

My sincerest condolences to everyone at OSU CVM. My heart breaks for and with you.

Hello everyone!! This is my second year applying to Ohio State and excited to see if I can make it in this year. I made a ton of changes to my app this year with a ton of experiences and hope they will see that. Man I was not ready at all last year now looking back!!!!!

i can't find it on the website, but I made an account??

Feel free to correct me if any of this is different for people who aren't/haven't recently been OSU students.

Sign into Buckeye Link with your account name/password (if you have trouble finding this it's at the top right of the main OSU webpage).
Once you're signed in...
From the top left select "Main Menu"
Select "Campus Solutions"
Select "Self Service"
Select "OSU Supplemental Applications"
Select "Veterinary Medicine"

That should take you to the supplemental.

Oh my gosh, what happened? I'm so out of the loop.

Oh my gosh, what happened? I'm so out of the loop.
We lost a second year student last week. It was really unexpected and affected everyone here, even those that didn't really know him. Thankfully, our deans and administration are fantastic and really worked hard to make sure we're all doing ok. They even moved our classes and exams so we could support each other.

According to the website, a faculty member and a student both passed away very recently.. :/

I was not aware of the faculty member's passing, but yes, that did happen as well.

For those curious, things are slowly getting back to normal. If you're waiting on information from someone, go ahead and ask :)

We've got an awesome community here. All this turmoil has proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I was not aware of the faculty member's passing, but yes, that did happen as well.

For those curious, things are slowly getting back to normal. If you're waiting on information from someone, go ahead and ask :)

We've got an awesome community here. All this turmoil has proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt.
I've got no bones about waiting- especially with tragedies like those transpiring.
I was told by my other few prospective schools that I won't hear back until at least November... I just want my OSU supplemental done in a timely manor that works for them...

Hey everyone, i'm very confused- is the supplemental really only a few questions regarding residency and stuff? no essays or tables to fill up? I feel like im missing something ... i'm not being able to pay because my application is pending until they receive my fee waiver ...but im scared because I thought you only a few days to submit the supplemental but in the email I got, the deadline is November 15 -it all seems to good to be true :/

Hey everyone, i'm very confused- is the supplemental really only a few questions regarding residency and stuff? no essays or tables to fill up? I feel like im missing something ... i'm not being able to pay because my application is pending until they receive my fee waiver ...but im scared because I thought you only a few days to submit the supplemental but in the email I got, the deadline is November 15 -it all seems to good to be true :/

No essays. Basically just residency information, a few yes/no questions, emergency contact, and your three references.

Not a 2020-er (hopefully a 2021!) but I figured this was a good place to ask since you guys are applying with OSU's new prerequisite structure...

I was under the impression that I had until the spring semester of the year I graduate to finish all my prerequisites. Today, someone who is applying to OSU this year tried to tell me that I can only have one prerequisite outstanding for that spring semester? Is this right?

Thanks guys!

Not a 2020-er (hopefully a 2021!) but I figured this was a good place to ask since you guys are applying with OSU's new prerequisite structure...

I was under the impression that I had until the spring semester of the year I graduate to finish all my prerequisites. Today, someone who is applying to OSU this year tried to tell me that I can only have one prerequisite outstanding for that spring semester? Is this right?

Thanks guys!
They have recently updated the pre-reqs and it looks like a lot has changed. You can check out the requirements on the website here: http://vet.osu.edu/education/prerequisites

It appears you are correct. You just need to have all of your pre-reqs done by the end of the spring semester. :)

"No more than one required prerequisite course may remain to be completed after autumn term of the academic year in which you apply."

If you're applying for class of 2021 next fall, you need to have 3 of the 4 capstone courses* completed by the end of next year and all of them completed by the Spring of 2017. That's how I understand it. If you are still worried, call OSU admissions and ask (or e-mail).

*The capstones are the true "required" courses now (physiology, biochem, microbio, and speech). The other prereqs can be met through a variety of coursework that you'll hopefully have by that time by sheer virtue of being pre-vet and taking GEC's (lower chemistries, physics, biologies, humanities, etc.).

"No more than one required prerequisite course may remain to be completed after autumn term of the academic year in which you apply."

If you're applying for class of 2021 next fall, you need to have 3 of the 4 capstone courses* completed by the end of next year and all of them completed by the Spring of 2017. That's how I understand it. If you are still worried, call OSU admissions and ask (or e-mail).

*The capstones are the true "required" courses now (physiology, biochem, microbio, and speech). The other prereqs can be met through a variety of coursework that you'll hopefully have by that time by sheer virtue of being pre-vet and taking GEC's (lower chemistries, physics, biologies, humanities, etc.).

Huh, I must have missed that. Where do you see that?
This is what I found on the page:

"All of the prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the Spring term preceding the Autumn term when you would start vet school. (You do not have to have all of the prerequisites completed before applying.)"