OHSU vs Quinnipiac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delfonic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN. I have another one of those School A vs School B posts for you. I had already decided on attending Frank H. Netter School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University, but I was recently accepted off the waitlist at Oregon Health and Science University. I am having a tough time deciding between the two, and I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!

* I am from California and will be moving with my spouse to attend either school. I am not particularly interested in pursuing a competitive specialty.

OHSU

· Pros

o Well established program
o LOVE Portland! Awesome city! Could easily see myself living there
o Get to stay on the west coast and be somewhat closer to home
o Better chance of coming back to California for residency
o Many nontraditional and older students (I am married and 4 years removed from undergrad)
o Students work with mentors to completely customize their rotations; great clinical sites

· Cons

o Expensive OOS tuition with presumably no scholarship offered
o Demanding curriculum with less independent study time (although 18mo. preclinical seems beneficial)

Quinnipiac

· Pros

o School sincerely caters to its students
o Faculty and staff are approachable and excited to be there/doing everything in their power to make sure students will succeed
o Received almost half-tuition scholarship for all 4 years
o Small class size
o Dean is confident students will be prepared for Step 1 and is taking the necessary steps to provide students with good residency options

· Cons

o New school. No step 1 scores yet.
o Bridgeport hospital is nice, but seemed a little vacant and small.
o Not as much to do in the area (Hamden/New Haven) compared to Portland and much farther away from home.
o Not sure how this will impact my chance at coming back to California

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this and see if anyone has any input? Thank you all so much!

Personally, I think OHSU is the way to go even if the tuition is a bit more expensive. It's a very established school with a lot of great programs. Portland is a much better location and it sounds like you and your spouse will be much happier there. Plus being on the west coast will open up greater opportunities to go back to California for residency if that is your ultimate goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard that this is truly the case at Netter. This may be a misrepresentation. Consider all your options. Many times the picture they paint is to lure applicants.

Last edited:
I'd go OHSU. Their health complex is amazing. You're totally unlimited in terms of what rotations you can pursue and the cases you'll see. It's unquestionably the best healthcare system in the state so you'll see things you might never elsewhere.