2018-2019 Quinnipiac University (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You meet with a few different administrators (all very friendly), learn about the curriculum, service opportunities, preceptorship structure, financial aid, etc. Then there's lunch with ~4 current students and they run an informal Q&A. Then are two ~45 minute interviews. Mine were very laid back and no questions about the healthcare system. Then the dean comes in for an informal group interview (but it honestly didn't feel like an interview - it was more of him just trying to say hello to everyone and chatting with everyone a little bit) and then they end the day with a tour. My day started at 10:45 and ended at around 5pm.
Thank you so much for the reply! I'm glad to hear it's not stressful!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any post-II rejections yet or is everyone waitlisted who’s not accepted?

Is there an active accepted students page anywhere

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take any of you that were accepted to receive the mail packet?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take any of you that were accepted to receive the mail packet?
It took me <1 week from the date that I put down my deposit, but I also live in New England, so that might've affected how quickly it got to me. I think they say 1 or 2 weeks from the date that you submit your deposit?

Pre II R just now (IS), complete early Aug

Yeah! There is a netter class of 2023 facebook group
What was the name of the group? I joined Netter School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University Class of 2023 weeks ago on facebook, I haven’t been accepted but it looked inactive from the lack of posts..

What was the name of the group? I joined Netter School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University Class of 2023 weeks ago on facebook, I haven’t been accepted but it looked inactive from the lack of posts..
Thats the one. The moderators accept people in bulk every few weeks. There hasn't been much activity probably because it is only February

Interviewed last Friday 2/15, they said we were the last interview group for this season. I know everyone is working crazy hard, waiting to hear back at this point but they said they're shooting for 4-5 weeks for a decision.

Waitlisted today interviewed 2/11. The email says they’re being conservative with acceptances due to the new traffic rules. Hopefully there will be a lot of movement!

Waitlisted today interviewed 2/11. The email says they’re being conservative with acceptances due to the new traffic rules. Hopefully there will be a lot of movement!

How exactly did they word the email? I was WL'd back in October and my email had no mention of them being conservative due to the new traffic rules. Really hoping for a lot of movement as well!

Reactions: 1 users
“I can share with you that because of changes this year to the traffic rules of the AAMC, we have chosen to be conservative in our initial distribution of offers of admission.

The School of Medicine Admissions Committee is favorably impressed with your application and believes that you have the characteristics needed to become a superb physician. My sincere hope is that you are enrolled in our school in the future.

Should there be the opportunity for you to receive an offer of admission, I will contact you directly.”
That’s the bulk of it

“I can share with you that because of changes this year to the traffic rules of the AAMC, we have chosen to be conservative in our initial distribution of offers of admission.

The School of Medicine Admissions Committee is favorably impressed with your application and believes that you have the characteristics needed to become a superb physician. My sincere hope is that you are enrolled in our school in the future.

Should there be the opportunity for you to receive an offer of admission, I will contact you directly.”
That’s the bulk of it

Thank you for sharing! Sorry for the probing of information I was just curious lol

Thank you for sharing! Sorry for the probing of information I was just curious lol
I interviewed last week and also got waitlisted. Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what they mentioned in your email? Thanks a lot, and best of luck!

I interviewed last week and also got waitlisted. Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what they mentioned in your email? Thanks a lot, and best of luck!

Basically the same as what your email said minus the part about them being conservative with acceptance offers.

Also waitlisted. However, Dr. Yeckel did mention the whole thing during the actual interview day - essentially they are having to waitlist more than previous years.
I know this isn't "bad" news, but I'm slightly bummed because I felt really good about the interview. Meh.

Has anyone received any details about Second Look Weekend? I know it's April 12-13, but was just wondering if we had received any more details yet (start/end times especially- looking to book flights!).

Has anyone received any details about Second Look Weekend? I know it's April 12-13, but was just wondering if we had received any more details yet (start/end times especially- looking to book flights!).
Where did you see the official dates for Second Look? I haven't seen or gotten anything.

How far would a "morning's drive" be considered?

How far would a "morning's drive" be considered?

I'm assuming you're talking about second look day, and I am also assuming by "longer than a morning's drive" they mean that your commute is long enough that you can't wake up and drive from your house to make the first day of second look day in time. Definitely e-mail or call to find out if your room would be covered for your situation.

Why don't they have any closer clinical sites?
I think Yale controls the new haven area. Although my interviewer said that they have students that rotate at the hospitals in new haven, but it’s not listed as a clinical affiliate

Why don't they have any closer clinical sites?
From my understanding, when Netter opened they poached a bunch of professors from Yale. Yale got ticked off and essentially banned (or made it super difficulty) all future netter students from rotating at any Yale affiliated hospitals. Thus, Netter kids have to drive outside the Yale radius to Hartford etc for their clinical sites

From my understanding, when Netter opened they poached a bunch of professors from Yale. Yale got ticked off and essentially banned (or made it super difficulty) all future netter students from rotating at any Yale affiliated hospitals. Thus, Netter kids have to drive outside the Yale radius to Hartford etc for their clinical sites

lol no way are you serious???

Anyone know how generous the school is in giving financial aid/scholarships? Is only 1 student selected for each scholarship?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how generous the school is in giving financial aid/scholarships? Is only 1 student selected for each scholarship?
7 for each scholarship I believe. 1 or 2 may be an exception.

There will be 1 recipient per scholarship, so 7 in total.

Any current students know which model stethoscope we'll be provided with? Thanks!

Any current or accepted students a veteran?? Please DM me! I have lots of questions to ask

I don't think this is really accurate. I once asked about this and this is what I was told....Though some QU people had ties to Yale, there does not seem to be anyone on the current QU faculty that Yale likely would have considered irreplaceable - and the full-time QU medical school faculty, while quite good, is still not a large number of people. The main reason why QU likely does not use Yale sites is that a school like Yale also has to offer its clinical sites to its own nursing students, PA students, paramedic students, APRN students, midwifery students, nurse anesthetist students, etc. Moreover, long before there could be any significant "poaching", in order to get approval from the LCME to develop a new medical school, QU needed to identify and then inform the LCME where their clinical sites would be. This would have been long before many faculty were recruited.

And given that QU's mission is to develop more primary care providers, a lot of their clinical sties are more primary care heavy anyway. So though it is true that third year QU students do not do clinical rotations at Yale facilities, it is not because of bad blood. Just like Drexel and Penn med schools are only a few blocks away from each other, Drexel students don't do clerkships at HUP for internal medicine. Separate schools, missions, and facilities.

And of course, QU students can do visiting sub internships in their 4th yr at Yale clinical sites - the students who do well in these rotations would then be strong candidates for Yale residencies. If you look through the residencies, you will see QU students at Yale residencies.

Does anyone by any chance know how many classes we will be taking each block? (Asking because this is a question on an external scholarship application)