2018-2019 Quinnipiac University (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know Netter is finished interviewing, but has anyone else not been rejected? I saw that they sent two giant waves of pre-interview Rs so the fact that I've had no communication has me feeling like I forgot to press submit back in August haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the percent match is this year for Netter?

I can't tell you the percent match since several of our classmates have taken a year off for personal reasons or for research. That being said, we did start out with 90 students in the first year, and 85 students (this includes some students from the class above us as they also took an extra year) have matched. At least one person in our class did not match, unfortunately, but I do not know all the details right now.

Here is the match list for the class of 2019:
Medical school students celebrate successful residency matches | Quinnipiac Now

Reactions: 1 user
I can't tell you the percent match since several of our classmates have taken a year off for personal reasons or for research. That being said, we did start out with 90 students in the first year, and 85 students (this includes some students from the class above us as they also took an extra year) have matched. At least one person in our class did not match, unfortunately, but I do not know all the details right now.

Here is the match list for the class of 2019:
Medical school students celebrate successful residency matches | Quinnipiac Now

Thank you for the detailed response!

Just got an R... was really hoping for a last minute miracle ii from here

Just withdrew my acceptance, hoping it goes to one of you!

Any current or incoming students know what orientation week looks like? Is it M-F 9-5 pm every day of that week?

Can anyone speak to best places to live in the area? Seems like New Haven is pretty cool but is it worth the longer commute to campus?

• Love
Can anyone speak to best places to live in the area? Seems like New Haven is pretty cool but is it worth the longer commute to campus?
East Rock is a neighborhood in New Haven and is pretty great. Its 1 mile from downtown, is right on East Rock State Park, has lots of bars, restaurants, and cafes while still being quaint and quiet. Also, its right on the highway so the commute to campus is 10-15 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone concerned about the lack of an affiliated hospital?

Anyone concerned about the lack of an affiliated hospital?
They spun it as kind of a positive thing bc their students got to see a lot of different hospitals/settings
They also said that they don’t accept more students bc they need to make sure that all students have spots for rotations

Are we for sure getting our financial aid packages today?

Are we for sure getting our financial aid packages today?
Supposedly, although I have not yet received mine. But the financial aid director emphasized at second look that we'd get them today.

I just got an email saying my award has been posted but I don't see a "financial aid" section on my Self-Service login. Does anyone see it?

I just got an email saying my award has been posted but I don't see a "financial aid" section on my Self-Service login. Does anyone see it?
I don't see anything, but I didn't get an email either. Let us know if you figure it out!

They spun it as kind of a positive thing bc their students got to see a lot of different hospitals/settings
They also said that they don’t accept more students bc they need to make sure that all students have spots for rotations

Dr. Yeckel told us he firmly believes Netter provides better clinical training than many other programs, including Yale. I do believe they have a strong network, and because they utilize hospitals that aren't already consumed by Yale, in addition to the Mesh program, I think students have substantial clinical exposure early and onwards. The question is, have these clinical training partners had significant experience teaching and mentoring to the point where they provide the optimal learning experience? That's something that can only come with time in which students report their feedback to the directors as to which training sites/physicians were great and which ones were not so great. I assume this is a challenge/question for all new programs regardless if they have an established affiliated hospital or not.

Furthermore, for those who want to go into the competitive residencies, how accessible are the external research opportunities that are necessary to bolster your residency applications? What about access to widely-known recommenders?

Looking back at Netter's 2019 match list, it seems that it is now reporting only 2 matches into orthopedic surgery instead of the 3 I saw when I first examined it.

These things concern me because Netter seems like a school that provides phenomenal training, brings in very bright students, is dedicated to their success, but us students might be held back due to the lack of name recognition and extra curricular opportunities that allow us to go beyond a great step score. I'm not saying Netter is a bad option, cause I LOVED the program, the administration, and the students seemed to genuinely love the school as well. If anyone could calm my nerves, please do.

Withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 1 users
East Rock is a neighborhood in New Haven and is pretty great. Its 1 mile from downtown, is right on East Rock State Park, has lots of bars, restaurants, and cafes while still being quaint and quiet. Also, its right on the highway so the commute to campus is 10-15 minutes.

Seconding NeuroSanctions' recommendation for East Rock. Lived here for 4 years and it's been great. Commute was easy for M1/2 and easily walkable to local and downtown New Haven stuff.

Dr. Yeckel told us he firmly believes Netter provides better clinical training than many other programs, including Yale. I do believe they have a strong network, and because they utilize hospitals that aren't already consumed by Yale, in addition to the Mesh program, I think students have substantial clinical exposure early and onwards. The question is, have these clinical training partners had significant experience teaching and mentoring to the point where they provide the optimal learning experience? That's something that can only come with time in which students report their feedback to the directors as to which training sites/physicians were great and which ones were not so great. I assume this is a challenge/question for all new programs regardless if they have an established affiliated hospital or not.

Furthermore, for those who want to go into the competitive residencies, how accessible are the external research opportunities that are necessary to bolster your residency applications? What about access to widely-known recommenders?

Looking back at Netter's 2019 match list, it seems that it is now reporting only 2 matches into orthopedic surgery instead of the 3 I saw when I first examined it.

These things concern me because Netter seems like a school that provides phenomenal training, brings in very bright students, is dedicated to their success, but us students might be held back due to the lack of name recognition and extra curricular opportunities that allow us to go beyond a great step score. I'm not saying Netter is a bad option, cause I LOVED the program, the administration, and the students seemed to genuinely love the school as well. If anyone could calm my nerves, please do.

These are valid concerns. Any new school will have some growing pains and issues to deal with.

I do think our clinical training is quite good. Like every school it is highly dependent on the site and faculty there. Most of my sites were good or great. One or 2 were not so great. None of my experiences were poor due to faculty being “new.” Most of our sites are very familiar with having students as they have worked with other schools such as UCONN already.

Certainly as a new school, many residency programs nationwide have either not yet heard of us or don’t have an opinion on us yet. I think it goes without saying that a graduate of a school with a “brand name” will have an easier time matching anywhere that cares about prestige. If you look at the match lists (a notoriously poor way to assess a medical school’s quality in any case), you’ll see that most of the “big name” programs take students from “big name” schools. If your goal in medicine is to match an ultra-competitive specialty at an ultra-competitive program, then being at a new school will make that more difficult.

All that said, you’re the master of your destiny for the most part. We had 2 orthosurg matches b/c that’s how many students wanted to go into orthosurg. Same with neurosurg, same with urology. Research is available but requires more initiative as you need to seek it out yourself instead of just bumping into an affiliated faculty somewhere. With Yale nearby there are lots of opportunities to do research and they are very welcoming to Netter students (other than in sharing clinical sites for core rotations).

Last edited:
Certainly as a new school, many residency programs nationwide have either not yet heard of us or don’t have an opinion on us yet. I think it goes without saying that a graduate of a school with a “brand name” will have an easier time matching anywhere that cares about prestige. If you look at the match lists (a notoriously poor way to assess a medical school’s quality in any case), you’ll see that most of the “big name” programs take students from “big name” schools. If your goal in medicine is to match an ultra-competitive specialty at an ultra-competitive program, then being at a new school will make that more difficult.

I understand Ivy Leagues residencies tend to take Ivy League graduates. My concern is for Netter’s ability to match students into average to above average residencies with similarly achieved students as more established programs. I never referenced the match list to be indicative of the quality, and I even stated the aspects as to why I think the education is high in quality. I was saying, in spite of that quality education and bright student profile, I’m still afraid that graduates are being held back by the new name. Why is it now 2 instead of 3 ortho matches? Did only 2 students want ortho-surg due to the fact that only 2 students saw that to be obtainable at Netter?

Last edited:
Just to double check, we only have to get our titers checked for Hep B, correct? Documentation of immunization is enough for everything else?

Will be withdrawing acceptance, hoping you guys see some waitlist movement soon :)

I understand Ivy Leagues residencies tend to take ivly graduates. My concern in for Netter to match students into average to above average schools that have similarly achieved students. I never referenced the match list to be indicative of the quality, and I even stated the aspects as to why I think the education is high quality. I was saying, in spite of that quality education and bright student profile, I’m still afraid that graduated are still being held back by the new name. Why is it now 2 instead of 3 ortho matches? Did only 2 students want ortho-surg due to the fact that only 2 students saw that to be obtainable at Netter?

There’s no doubt that there are programs that will pass on students from a new program just because it’s a new program. It’s one of the cons of being at a new school and it’s unfortunate even if there are ways around it when applying to residency. I’m not in everyone’s head but I can confidently say that no one in my class passed on a specialty due to the newness of the school. Our class matched at great programs such as UCLA, UCSF, Vanderbilt, Yale, Baylor, etc. so it’s not like every program avoids us as a new school. But there will always be that bias with some program directors and the only way to avoid it is to make connections or to go to a “prestigious” school in the first place. If you are trying to maximize your open doors I think it goes without saying that a new school will always be a disadvantage compared to an established school (with a good reputation).

There’s no doubt that there are programs that will pass on students from a new program just because it’s a new program. It’s one of the cons of being at a new school and it’s unfortunate even if there are ways around it when applying to residency. I’m not in everyone’s head but I can confidently say that no one in my class passed on a specialty due to the newness of the school. Our class matched at great programs such as UCLA, UCSF, Vanderbilt, Yale, Baylor, etc. so it’s not like every program avoids us as a new school. But there will always be that bias with some program directors and the only way to avoid it is to make connections or to go to a “prestigious” school in the first place. If you are trying to maximize your open doors I think it goes without saying that a new school will always be a disadvantage compared to an established school (with a good reputation).

I see. Thanks for the input! I wish I could also talk to Netter graduates in their residencies as they were the true first cohorts.

I was looking at the official Facebook page for the Netter Class of 2023, and I noticed that there are currently 182 members (minus the two admins) in the group. Is this number truly reflective of the number of students they accepted this cycle? I was just wondering because I know their class size is about 100 students at most, and given the AMCAS traffic changes, it seems like they would be accepting less students than in previous years.

I was looking at the official Facebook page for the Netter Class of 2023, and I noticed that there are currently 182 members (minus the two admins) in the group. Is this number truly reflective of the number of students they accepted this cycle? I was just wondering because I know their class size is about 100 students at most, and given the AMCAS traffic changes, it seems like they would be accepting less students than in previous years.
Many, if not most, are current Netter students

Many, if not most, are current Netter students

Mike Cole said they were being conservative with acceptances this year bc last year they had a huge jump in yield!

People who withdrew their acceptance: I don’t see a withdrawal button on the secondary anywhere. Is there one? Or did you only email admissions?

Just withdrew my acceptance, but I just wanted to say that this is a great program! I hope to see waitlist movement soon for everyone still waiting.

Just withdrew my acceptance too – Good luck to everyone on the WL! It was definitely a hard decision since they are still the most welcoming place out of everywhere I interviewed at. Way too expensive though :(

Any current Frank H. Netters have any info on the necessity (not convenience) of a car. My lease runs out 1 year into school and I am wondering if anyone is able to attend successfully without a car. Or without a car for 2nd year. I know they require one, but other schools do too and when you ask students a few say they are able to get by without a car.

Congrats! Did you get a phone call or email? And also, in your waitlist email, did they bring up anything about the traffic rules and being conservative with acceptances?
It was an email and yes, in my initial waitlist email they said they were being conservative with acceptances because of traffic rules.

It was an email and yes, in my initial waitlist email they said they were being conservative with acceptances because of traffic rules.
Thanks for the reply! I noticed there was some talk about some WL emails mentioning the traffic rules and being conservative (while some apparently didn't have those things mentioned on their WL email), so I was wondering if maybe the people who got that email were the ones being called off the WL.

• Wow
Accepted off waitlist just now! 4 days to decide between this school and another - anxiety has begun lol

Accepted off waitlist just now! 4 days to decide between this school and another - anxiety has begun lol
Congratulations on your acceptance! I hope you don't mind my asking whether the WL email mentioned the traffic rules or not?

Congratulations on your acceptance! I hope you don't mind my asking whether the WL email mentioned the traffic rules or not?
Thank you! Yes, the waitlist email mentioned "We have chosen to be conservative in our initial distribution of offers of admission"

Thanks for the reply! I noticed there was some talk about some WL emails mentioning the traffic rules and being conservative (while some apparently didn't have those things mentioned on their WL email), so I was wondering if maybe the people who got that email were the ones being called off the WL.
Lol, seriously? Does anyone actually know if this place ranks WL or nah? Thought they don't but lol looks like it. Seems weird to send WL emails saying different stuff unless there's ranking going on. Also, do they? reject people?? post interview??? A bunch of pre-II Rs but can't say many post-II Rs.

Are there any current students who can comment on the study resources Netter provides for new incoming students?