UPDATED SHOW-DOWN in CHI-TOWN: Rush vs. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmart989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help!

Interviewed and accepted at UIC and Rush. Help me make a decision! Don't give me BS about "you shouldn't be worried about rankings...". Let's evaluate everything.
I personally interviewed at UIC-Rockford, so I haven't toured UIC's facilities yet. I'll do this before coming to the final decision.

1. Research: According to USnews - Rush ranks 70th, while UIC ranks 56th.
2. Primary Care: Rush ranks 86th, while UIC ranks 92nd.
3. Location: Both are located in the same medical campus block of Chicago. Any comparisons of housing locations?
4. Facilities: Help me out here with impressions of UIC's facilities, I'm under the impression that UIC is old... Rush absolutely looks phenomenal with the new hospital (toured it, very impressive). I still have yet to tour UIC's buildings.
5. Residency placements: help me with this one. Many from Rush have received placements at great hospitals - Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Brown... Don't know much about UIC's placements.
6. Fun level: Does anyone know which school offers a better well-being for its students? Due to the nature of UofI interviews, I can't tell for UIC, but at Rush it felt like the students were a tight bunch since it was a private school.
7. Cost:: Rush costs approx ~$45,804. UIC costs 32,040 instate/68,420 OOS. I live in-state, so UIC wins in my personal situation. Any idea if one or the other is stingier with financial aid?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Rush because of the new hospital and the updated look that they are trying to present. They also are the team physicians for the White Sox and the Bulls - my fav teams in Chicago. Don't know how much that has to do with anything though. Both serve in relatively the same teaching hospitals - example being the Stroger Cook County hospital.

Both seem to rank right in the middle of USnews rankings, so its difficult to tell which would be considered "more prestigious" than the other. Given this, it would be easy to say "go with which school suits you personally", and that's great - I would pick Rush at the moment, but I haven't seen much of UIC and I need to get a fuller perspective of how it is viewed, especially in comparison to Rush. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

They're pretty equal schools. Neither has much of an edge reputation wise. Personally I would go with the one that had a better gut feeling (sounds like Rush for you) but if money is important then save the ~$50k + interest and go with UIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.