UTSW and Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

School Choice

• UTSW

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A1B2C

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally received my financial aid stuff back from both schools and thought I would ask SDN's input also.

I ignored COA for both schools as it is the same for me at each school. UTSW costs me around $15000 while Vanderbilt costs me around $32000. This is cost per year.

I liked both schools during my interview day. I liked Vanderbilt a bit more when it came time for the curriculum(emphasis program, simulation lab) and the people. The curriculum along with the opportunities seemed very nice. It seems that UTSW is a more traditional curriculum with a larger class size. However, it seems that since the teaching hospital (Parkland) is a very large county hospital, students get to be more involved in the procedures. I do not know if students do a lot of the procedures at Vanderbilt? If a current student could comment, that would be great!

Also, a lot of the students at UTSW seem to remain in TX for their residency though I'm sure this is mostly due to student bias as the school comprises more than 90% TX resident. Is UTSW well regarded when it comes time for residency along the northeast/ west coast.

In the end, I liked Vanderbilt a bit more especially for the first two years. However, it is not like I hated UTSW. I was also very impressed with them, especially for third year. So will going to Vanderbilt as opposed to UTSW open up more doors, more networking opportunities and is it justified given the associated costs?

Thanks in advance.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sent you a personal PM, and just wanted to say that I'm a Vandy med student and would love to answer any other questions anyone else out there might have if you want to PM me!

I finally received my financial aid stuff back from both schools and thought I would ask SDN's input also.

I ignored COA for both schools as it is the same for me at each school. UTSW costs me around $15000 while Vanderbilt costs me around $32000. This is cost per year.

I liked both schools during my interview day. I liked Vanderbilt a bit more when it came time for the curriculum(emphasis program, simulation lab) and the people. The curriculum along with the opportunities seemed very nice. It seems that UTSW is a more traditional curriculum with a larger class size. However, it seems that since the teaching hospital (Parkland) is a very large county hospital, students get to be more involved in the procedures. I do not know if students do a lot of the procedures at Vanderbilt? If a current student could comment, that would be great!

Also, a lot of the students at UTSW seem to remain in TX for their residency though I'm sure this is mostly due to student bias as the school comprises more than 90% TX resident. Is UTSW well regarded when it comes time for residency along the northeast/ west coast.

In the end, I liked Vanderbilt a bit more especially for the first two years. However, it is not like I hated UTSW. I was also very impressed with them, especially for third year. So will going to Vanderbilt as opposed to UTSW open up more doors, more networking opportunities and is it justified given the associated costs?

You already know which one you want to go to...why do you need a bunch of strangers on the internet to tell you what to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
You already know which one you want to go to...why do you need a bunch of strangers on the internet to tell you what to do?

:confused: I am not sure if I know where I want to go(hence the post).....

In the end, I liked Vanderbilt a bit more especially for the first two years. However, it is not like I hated UTSW. I was also very impressed with them, especially for third year. So is going to Vanderbilt justified given the associated costs?

You might want to take my comment with a grain of salt, but...

From the residency directors I talked to, including my dad, UTSW is very well regarded because of the way they prepare their medical students for residency during their clerkships. It's my understanding that the MS-3s/4s are worked very hard, which might seem bad, but if you're looking to maximize your potential as a physician, you might decide to just suck it up and go with it. UTSW is known for producing good residents.

I can't comment on vanderbilt.

Thanks for the constructive post, CyclistOK! I agree with the way third year is at UTSW. That was definitely one of things that impressed me about UTSW, IMO.

Both are great medical schools with impressive match lists so you can't go wrong with either of them.... the question basically becomes how much and where.... i've never been to nashville but i think it would be a safe bet to say that dallas is a better city to live in even though with vanderbilt you still retain the university feel because of the undergrad campus ... in terms of cost UTSW is dirt cheap especially if you are a texas resident

you definitely got a tough decision but a decision that i'm sure a bunch of people in on these forums would like to be in... good luck

I don't know much about UTSW, but I am a 3rd year at Vandy. I can certainly attest to being worked hard (90+ hrs last week on labor & delivery). Depends on the rotation though -- psych/neuro are notoriously easier, especially with call. As far as procedures, I have done a couple paracentesis, an indwelling pleural catheter, some a-lines, some IVs, some foleys. Some of my classmates have done thoracentesis, and a few have done central lines. All of these are supervised by residents or attendings, obviously. You will get more if you show interest and proficiency. Also some rotations lend themselves better, i.e. anesthesia and trauma. I find Nashville to be a very good moderate-sized city, but everyone's going to have their own personal preference. Hard to argue with half the price though if you don't have a preference. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.