William Carey University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the information.

Have you heard of anyone else getting an interview invite? This thread is very quiet.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the information.

Have you heard of anyone else getting an interview invite? This thread is very quiet.
I was told that three applicants would be interviewing at 10 a.m. and three at 1 p.m. on November 17th. That date was recently pushed back to December 1st. I know of no one else invited. I presume that they are not members of SDN.

Correct. Students from MS, LA, and AR will get preference.

Last night, in talking with Dean Murphy, primarily, and Emily Bennett, in addition to MS, LA, & AR, their primary area of influence includes West Tennessee, including Memphis, part of Western Kentucky, and SE Missouri.

In short the Mississippi Delta and surrounding area is their primary area of focus

Members don't see this ad :)
So applicants not from the region won’t be considered? I’m not sure if I should apply. I am from Boston, but I want to practice and go to med school in the south, since my husband’s family is from TN. I wish I was from TN or KY now lol, they have LMU-DCOM, Pikeville, and now WCU giving them preference—all great schools :) you guys are lucky! Good luck everyone.

So applicants not from the region won’t be considered? I’m not sure if I should apply. I am from Boston, but I want to practice and go to med school in the south, since my husband’s family is from TN. I wish I was from TN or KY now lol, they have LMU-DCOM, Pikeville, and now WCU giving them preference—all great schools :) you guys are lucky! Good luck everyone.
Hey 25FromBoston,

They will consider applicants from outside the region. I live in Florida and I interview December 1st. So, apply. Failure to do so is an automatic no. Tell them you will strongly consider staying in the region upon graduation and let them know of your ties to the region through your husband. Good luck

Last night, in talking with Dean Murphy, primarily, and Emily Bennett, in addition to MS, LA, & AR, their primary area of influence includes West Tennessee, including Memphis, part of Western Kentucky, and SE Missouri.

In short the Mississippi Delta and surrounding area is their primary area of focus

I did NOT mean to imply that applicants from outside the region would be accepted. I was just stating WC-COM's focus area happens to be the same area I will hopefully practice. Even though LMU-Debusk is in TN and I am from TN, it would not be a good fit for me BECAUSE I am not interested in practicing in the Applachian region but in the Mississippi Delta region. (I got this straight from their admission representative.)

I did NOT mean to imply that applicants from outside the region would be accepted. I was just stating WC-COM's focus area happens to be the same area I will hopefully practice. Even though LMU-Debusk is in TN and I am from TN, it would not be a good fit for me BECAUSE I am not interested in practicing in the Applachian region but in the Mississippi Delta region. (I got this straight from their admission representative.)

Correction: "would NOT be accepted".

Any idea as to how many people have been offered an interview invitation yet?
so far, I was told that there's only 8-10 interview invitations. The committee will keep reviewing applications every week. I hope I will get an invitation soon.

Ms. Bennett sent me a reply to an e-mail that I had sent to her. Letters inviting applicants for interviews went out today via snail mail.

Just curious to know if there are any more "crazy" people like myself who are attempting to go to Med School later in their working life

I have just turned 51 this October after working 20+ years as a chemist in industry

Just curious to know if there are any more "crazy" people like myself who are attempting to go to Med School later in their working life

I have just turned 51 this October after working 20+ years as a chemist in industry
Yes. I'm 52 and will be one month shy of 53 when I start medical school in August 2010. I have one acceptance so far and other interviews pending.

I interview at WCU on December 1st and sometime thereafter will decide where I will attend. Either we are both crazy or both not. PM me if you have any personal questions that you want answered. I'm happy to help.

Ms. Bennett sent me a reply to an e-mail that I had sent to her. Letters inviting applicants for interviews went out today via snail mail.

Do you think this means just those first few applications they received? I got mine in a few weeks after that. I'm thinking it might be a little while until I hear from them still. Oh well...this process has made me pretty patient. :)

Do you think this means just those first few applications they received? I got mine in a few weeks after that. I'm thinking it might be a little while until I hear from them still. Oh well...this process has made me pretty patient. :)
I received a call from the new Associate Dean of Admissions in which he invited me to an interview. I recall from our conversabation that some 300 applications had been sent in and more were coming in every day. I don't know how many were reviewed. He did say that the primary focus was on applications from residents of LA, MS and AR.

Because WCU had to wait until official accreditation, they are starting later than every other school. I believe that things will speed up. I suspect that most interviews will be in January & February.

Waiting is not fun. Keep your chin up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a call from the new Associate Dean of Admissions in which he invited me to an interview. I recall from our conversabation that some 300 applications had been sent in and more were coming in every day. I don't know how many were reviewed. He did say that the primary focus was on applications from residents of LA, MS and AR.

Because WCU had to wait until official accreditation, they are starting later than every other school. I believe that things will speed up. I suspect that most interviews will be in January & February.

Waiting is not fun. Keep your chin up.

Haha I definitely will. I am actually a re-applicant applying much earlier this year but with a fairly low GPA (I am doing graduate work though)- I need any time/region/etc preference I can get! Unfortunately I am not a resident of LA, MS, or AR, but I was an AL resident all during college. My parents spend half the year in FL now and are quite a bit older than my peer's parents, so I would love to be near them during med school to spend what little time I'll have with them. Crossing my fingers- WCU would be great!

They will give you consideration. I was not a KY resident and I got into PCSOM in 2003. 33% of my class was from outside KY. WCU will most likely take applicants from outside the area. Most DO school will try to draw from the areas they are found, but they wont turn away a great candidate. I know the Dean at WCU and it will be a great school.

i got an interview invite in the mail but I've already been accepted somewhere. I wish they started the process a little earlier because I wanted to check this school out! Good luck to all the applicants with upcoming interviews/waiting to hear from WCU-COM!

They will give you consideration. I was not a KY resident and I got into PCSOM in 2003. 33% of my class was from outside KY. WCU will most likely take applicants from outside the area. Most DO school will try to draw from the areas they are found, but they wont turn away a great candidate. I know the Dean at WCU and it will be a great school.

I am glad to hear that these schools still consider outside the region. I'm up here all lonely in Indiana with no DO school (even though I could walk to Kentucky from my hometown in about 30 minutes haha). It sucks because I am so close to Kentucky that I would definitely consider it for future practice, as it is still close to my family, but yet they tend to go for the Appalachian region instead of the midwest. It seems as though most of the schools here in the midwest are very established and also place less emphasis on regional preferences (CCOM, DMU, KCUMB) so all the schools I would look to for regional preference, well, don't have it. And their stats are all pretty high, so I haven't had the best of luck with them. *Sigh* Maybe I'll start a DO school in Indiana one day :)

I am glad to hear that these schools still consider outside the region. I'm up here all lonely in Indiana with no DO school (even though I could walk to Kentucky from my hometown in about 30 minutes haha). It sucks because I am so close to Kentucky that I would definitely consider it for future practice, as it is still close to my family, but yet they tend to go for the Appalachian region instead of the midwest. It seems as though most of the schools here in the midwest are very established and also place less emphasis on regional preferences (CCOM, DMU, KCUMB) so all the schools I would look to for regional preference, well, don't have it. And their stats are all pretty high, so I haven't had the best of luck with them. *Sigh* Maybe I'll start a DO school in Indiana one day :)

Grace, i had three classmates from Indiana, one of which is a very dear friend of mine now living in michigan for residency. Another friend is doing a FP residency in Indiana. They definitely consider Indiana residents. Shoot, I had two from Utah, one from Hawaii, one from CN, several from Ohio, 4 from Mississippi, two from Missouri.... my point is they know that not every state has a DO school.

PCSOM may ask you why you prefer them over, say CCOM or KCUMB. PCSOM is a good school. A lot of the staff there is new since I graduated, but there are some good faculty still there. When you interview there, I would take a day and drive around town and the surrounding area to make sure you like it there. It is not for everyone, i just like small towns. There is actually quite a bit to do there if you like the outdoors.

Grace, i had three classmates from Indiana, one of which is a very dear friend of mine now living in michigan for residency. Another friend is doing a FP residency in Indiana. They definitely consider Indiana residents. Shoot, I had two from Utah, one from Hawaii, one from CN, several from Ohio, 4 from Mississippi, two from Missouri.... my point is they know that not every state has a DO school.

PCSOM may ask you why you prefer them over, say CCOM or KCUMB. PCSOM is a good school. A lot of the staff there is new since I graduated, but there are some good faculty still there. When you interview there, I would take a day and drive around town and the surrounding area to make sure you like it there. It is not for everyone, i just like small towns. There is actually quite a bit to do there if you like the outdoors.

I'm living the big city life right now and quite honestly it makes me want to live in a small town for the rest of my life. I've always been a city girl, but I am just burnt out on it. It wears a person thin from day to day, so I think Pikeville and I might get along just fine. We'll see. I am hoping to hear from them soon :xf:

Interview invite for December 8th...anyone else get an invite for that day?

Hey guys, im currently overseas on a mission in Croatia, so my phone is obviously useless. Does Emily send out emails with the interview invites too? I could have a voicemail for all I know and I cant access it.

Hey guys, im currently overseas on a mission in Croatia, so my phone is obviously useless. Does Emily send out emails with the interview invites too? I could have a voicemail for all I know and I cant access it.

Email the school and tell them your situation and that you will need email correspondence.

When did you submit your application and determined as complete?

I had everything in to them, except a new letter of rec I was waiting on, the week they showed up on AACOMAS...Just got them that letter last week though.

Myn was an E-mail.

I got mine via e-mail.

Just a "heads up" to anybody who sent in their AACOMAS application after the middle of September. Their processing time is currently 7 + weeks.

Mine is going into its 9th week this week. :( to :mad:. I am talking to AACOMAS personnel to find out what the problem is with my application.

Hey guys,

I just registered for the SDN forums after I found the WCU discussion. I have an interview Dec 1st, and I am from MS. Who else has an interview that day, and where are you coming from?

Hey guys,

I just registered for the SDN forums after I found the WCU discussion. I have an interview Dec 1st, and I am from MS. Who else has an interview that day, and where are you coming from?

I interview at 1 p.m. on December 1st and live in Jacksonville, Florida

just got interview at WCU! via email- dec 17!

I interview at 1 p.m. on December 1st and live in Jacksonville, Florida

I will be interviewing at 1pm as well! I look forward to meeting you! I live in Jackson, MS. If you are flying in, and have any questions about the area, let me know.

Sorry if these quesions have been answered already, but:

Does WC send an email stating that they are NOT granting an interview/hold status?

How long after you were complete did you hear from WC?

Sorry if these quesions have been answered already, but:

Does WC send an email stating that they are NOT granting an interview/hold status?

How long after you were complete did you hear from WC?
I applied the first day AACOMAS opened for WCU in mid September. I was complete within 2 weeks. I was invited to an interview in mid October origininaly to be held in mid November. The school then rescheduled my interview to December 1st.

December 1st is the first interview day. From other posts it appears that interviews have been scheduled for that day and the two weeks which follow.

When were you complete?

they actually just received my letters of rec on friday- so i guess friday. they got my secondary about a week and a half before that, and my AACOMAS pretty much right when william carey appeared on the list...

Last edited:
I will be interviewing at 1pm as well! I look forward to meeting you! I live in Jackson, MS. If you are flying in, and have any questions about the area, let me know.
I'm flying into New Orleans and renting a car and driving the 120 miles to WCU. It's about the same distance as from Jackson and there are many more flights in and out of the Big Easy.

I have two more interviews scheduled and two acceptances so far so this will be a no pressure interview for me (relatively speaking - I'm taking nothing for granted).

I visited the campus and met with Dean Murphy last August. I was very impressed - very positve for sure. My wife went with me and scouted the area while I had my visit. She really likes the area better than the other places where I have been accepted. So, I am hopeful of an acceptance to WCU and look forward to meeting you and going through the process on December 1st. I suppose that very soon I (or we) have to decide which school to attend.

Not to mention you will be in New Orleans!..That is always fun.

If my interview goes well, and I am offered a position at WC, that is where I will go. All of our (wife and I) family lives in MS. I want to enter primary care and move home to start my own practice (small town MS).

I hope they have a quick turnaround on their decisions. It would be nice to go into the new year knowing where I stand (either way). Do you know how our day is setup?

Hattiesburg is a really nice place. You have all the amenities of the big city, but more of a small town feel. For me, it is also an ideal place because my wifes job would allow her to transfer locations and never skip a beat!

Not to mention you will be in New Orleans!..That is always fun.

If my interview goes well, and I am offered a position at WC, that is where I will go. All of our (wife and I) family lives in MS. I want to enter primary care and move home to start my own practice (small town MS).

I hope they have a quick turnaround on their decisions. It would be nice to go into the new year knowing where I stand (either way). Do you know how our day is setup?

Hattiesburg is a really nice place. You have all the amenities of the big city, but more of a small town feel. For me, it is also an ideal place because my wifes job would allow her to transfer locations and never skip a beat!

My interview on the 17th starts at 0800 and ends around noon...so I would assume that's standard. I'm sure the interview isn't 4 hrs, but there's a tour, etc.

I sent Emily Bennett an e-mail and asked her if a decision regarding admission would be made before December 15th (my interview is December 1st) because I have a class deposit due elsewhere by then.

She replied that yes a decision would be made before then. Based upon her answer I elected to attend the inteview at WCU. So, I take this to mean a quick admission decision will be made shortly after our interviews and I may then make a decision as to where to attend.

This is good news as nothing is worse than insufferable waiting to know one's fate.

My interview on the 17th starts at 0800 and ends around noon...so I would assume that's standard. I'm sure the interview isn't 4 hrs, but there's a tour, etc.
There's really not much to tour yet as the medical school goes. You could prolly do the whole campus tour in 15-20 minutes. It's not a big campus.

Last edited:
Can anybody who has been offered interview share their stats?

Can anybody who has been offered interview share their stats?

MCAT 25M (PS 10, VR 7, BS 8), Undergrad GPA 3.05, Grad. GPA 3.85: AACOMAS Combined GPA: 3.21. You can see my ECs on my MDApps if you want