William Carey University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I really hope we all get interviews!
I am so ready for the school to update their website with official information...but at the pace that WCUCOM has been moving lately, it seems like that might happen soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I received an email reply today from Sandra Meeler stating that they will email secondary applications as soon as they receive primary applications. It sounds like they will be sending secondaries to everyone that applies. She also said that they plan to start interviewing applicants in early November.

Anyone received a secondary yet?

I don't think so. I was the first one (I believe) to submit on AACOMAS 'cause I was the one who let Sandra Meeler know that the school is on AACOMAS. My credit card was charged yesterday, so they should release my primary to WCU-COM by the end of this week.

I am soooo into the school that I sent my LORs via snail mail already (takes awhile 'cause I'm all the way from the NW). I hope the timing is right, if I got the secondary this week, that'll be perfect! :smuggrin:

Maybe you can transfer next year. You'd be the only upper classroom. Think about the possibilities. You would graduate number 1 in your class (the only one).

I was thinking about the possibility until I read this:

He'd also be dead last! :laugh:

Oh well. Third and fourth year rotations are so important. Anyone familiar with healthcare in MS will tell you that the list of hospitals is impressive - having Forest General alone is huge. If WCU can keep everything together, the school will have the potential to quickly rise to the top of the heap.

Hattiesburg is quite nice too; I went to USM for grad school. Congrats to all who get interviews/acceptances.

What is it that you like so much about it?

I've heard great things about the Dean. I love that it's a new school with new buildings. I'm very impressed with the school's mission on CIB and its program. I haven't looked into the curriculum yet but I'm sure it's not gonna be heavily packed. The greatest thing is that it's affiliated with the undergrads which is a Christian school. I'm a Christian and I'd love to maintain my strong faith while going to school far away from home.

AACOMAS transmitted to WCU-COM the first batch of applicants on Tuesday, September 22nd. - 43 completed primary applications. That appears to me to be a great start as AACOMAS has been on-line for WCU for only about a week.

Secondary applications are to be e-mailed next week to the primary applicants.

I called the school today and confirmed that two of my LORs have been received. My D.O. - a proud member of the AOA, e-mailed me Monday to tell me that his letter was also mailed to the school.

I have been told that interviews begin in November.

Also, check out WCU's COM webpage. The student handbook is on-line and has a lot of information. WCU looks exciting to me. Best wishes to WCU and to my fellow SDNers. :) :xf:

Anybody knows (e-mailed) about average MCAT/GPA and if they look at individual highest MCAT scores or take the highest from each section from many MCAT scores.

Also are they looking at the highest or newest MCAT score.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
AACOMAS transmitted to WCU-COM the first batch of applicants on Tuesday, September 22nd. - 43 completed primary applications. That appears to me to be a great start as AACOMAS has been on-line for WCU for only about a week.

Secondary applications are to be e-mailed next week to the primary applicants.

I called the school today and confirmed that two of my LORs have been received. My D.O. - a proud member of the AOA, e-mailed me Monday to tell me that his letter was also mailed to the school.

I have been told that interviews begin in November.

Also, check out WCU's COM webpage. The student handbook is on-line and has a lot of information. WCU looks exciting to me. Best wishes to WCU and to my fellow SDNers. :) :xf:

Could you please let me know where did you get this from! Thanks.
I got released from AACOMAS on 9/24. Anybody else?

How strong of a regional pref will they have? I'm from NY and would like to add them to my AACOMAS... any idea?

I think they prefer people who will work on the South, but I am not sure how strong their preference will be.

Also, I read it somewhere their application/secondary(?) will be similar to Pikeville's. Something like that.

I thought about Mcat scores and such (to answer my own question LOL)
it might depends on all the applicants stats who apply. Maybe they don't have specific numbers yet.
I e-mailed Ms. Meeler, but I haven't heard back anything yet. Probably they busy with secondaries.

In answer to the question about AACOMAS release, I logged into my account at AACOMAS and sent an e-mail to AACOMAS asking when my application would be released. I had added WCU the first day that it appeared on the AACOMAS website.

AACOMAS replied to my e-mail and said that my application and others were released on September 22nd and would show up in the sytem as released on the 24th. A day or so later I called WCU and was told that my application was received along with 43 total aplications.

Last edited:
How strong of a regional pref will they have? I'm from NY and would like to add them to my AACOMAS... any idea? :xf:
From my visit to the school and my meeting with the Dean, the preference will be strong. The Dean did tell me that applicants who will seriously consider staying in the region after graduation will be considered.

It's true!:)
WCUCOM is now on AACOM and AACOMAS.
R/
D.E. Lovins, DO, MPH, FACOFP
Associate Dean, Clinical Sciences
Dr. Lovins,

Please tell us when Secondary Applications will be sent to the applicants who have submitted their primary application.

Will secondary applications be sent via "snail mail" or via e-mail.

Thanks.

I got the secondary too. It looks to be a fairly standard one.

Secondary: very similar to Pikeville's

Essay question:
.Statement of purpose: Attach a single page (8 1/2” x 11”) stating why you should be selected for training as a primary care osteopathic physician and what life experiences you believe have prepared you to become a physician..
clip_image002.jpg

Be ready to restate all employment, volunteer work, honors.

Good Luck

I wonder if they'd let us attach a CV in lieu of entering all work/ec/volunteer experience.

I asked that and was told yes but to make sure to put highlights or high points in the spaces and not just "see attached". And to not leave blank spaces.

Did anybody else notice that you can see all 43 email addresses in the "To" field?

Dr. Lovins,
Is WCU-COM now accessible through Virtual Eval? My advisors released my letters to all schools except WCU-COM.

I mailed in my completed secondary application today by Priority U.S. Mail for arrival tomorrow.

Anyone else from the original 43 send it in? :xf: :)

I mailed in my completed secondary application today by Priority U.S. Mail for arrival tomorrow.

Anyone else from the original 43 send it in? :xf: :)

Yes, and yes. I sent it back today too.

Interviews start in November. No specific min. MCAT or GPA so far. Look everybody individually.
The admission office said 23 or better would be good on MCAT, but nothing is written in stone.
Even if you have lower, apply.

anybody used virtual eval to send out your letters? Does the school show up on virtual eval or interfolio yet?

anybody used virtual eval to send out your letters? Does the school show up on virtual eval or interfolio yet?
I had my LORs sent via the U.S. Postal Service - certified mail return receipt requested except for the D.O. who mailed it regular mail from his office. I made it easy for the Professors. I gave them a pre-addressed envelope with postage affixed.

I called and spoke to Emily who confirmed receipt.

E-Mail received today from Ms. Sandra Meeler, Secreatary to the Dean:

Check out the new William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine website. It should answer all of your questions. Go to www.wmcarey.edu and click on the COM button at the bottom of the page.
Also, you can have letters of recommendation sent to:
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Attn: Emily Bennett
498 Tuscan Avenue, Box 207
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

I received an e-mail from Ms. Emily Bennet. My Secondary Application has been received. I called her and she also verified that all of my LORs have been received and that my application is complete.

Interviews begin in November. :):xf:

I received an e-mail from Ms. Emily Bennet. My Secondary Application has been received. I called her and she also verified that all of my LORs have been received and that my application is complete.

Interviews begin in November. :):xf:

wow! they work on Saturdays, too??? I hope they'll receive mine next week. Do you know when they're gonna send out invites?

wow! they work on Saturdays, too??? I hope they'll receive mine next week. Do you know when they're gonna send out invites?

No, they don't work on Saturdays. The e-mail and phone call were on Friday. I made the SDN post on Saturday.

Emily said that interviews were to begin in November and the Admissions Committee will begin reviewing applications in October. I was the first complete application (not that that means anything). From the first 43 primary applications received from AACOMAS, five other secondaries were also received. I am sure that others will come in as the days go by as well as more primary applications from AACOMAS.

Emily did not say when interview invitations would be sent out.

i am being very impatient and hopeful here... anybody heard back from them after submitting secondaries yet?

Did anyone who applied yet get an AACOMAS waiver and inquire about a secondary waiver from WCU? I did not actually get a primary one, but was told that I qualified and just missed out on one, which some schools will take into consideration by giving you a secondary waiver. Just curious because I was told that they don't have a waiver system at this point but could work it out if needed. I wasn't really sure how to take that...

I received an interview invitation today. The interview is scheduled for November 17th.

I am humbled, honored and excited. :thumbup::xf:

Congrat! Did you get an email or a phone call?

Congrat! Did you get an email or a phone call?
I received a phone call from the Dean of Admissions.

I was told that they had some 300 or so applications so far with more coming in each week. Primarily, they are focusing their first review on residents of the region (MS, AR and LA) as that is their mission. They will be reviewing all of the applications as fast as they can and will be scheduling interviews.

Thanks Robyn. There will be three people interviewing in the morning and three in the afterrnoon. First day of interviews. I am looking forward to it.

Keep the faith. The applications have just started being reviewed. I have to keep telling myself that this is still early in the process. The Admissions professionals have much to review and do.

Hey did anyone send their letters of Rec. via Interfolio? Were you able to get them to send them electronically? or did they send it via snail-mail?

Mine had to be sent via regular mail because WCU was not set up to receive electronic submissions.

Okay...I just wanted to make sure that the school didnt show up under some other name or something in their list.
Thx Iwork4911

Hi guys, I called today n Emily said that the committee is meeting up tomorrow. I'm hoping for an interview invite soon! Good luck everyone!

Any idea as to how many people have been offered an interview invitation yet?

Any idea as to how many people have been offered an interview invitation yet?
I was scheduled to interview November 17th. I received an e-mail today that the interview has been rescheduled to December 1st. No reason given other than a conflict at the school. I'm fine with the reschedule. I understand that December 1st is now the first interview day.