2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ballerstatus666

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
where the hell is it!?

Members don't see this ad.

damn you, getting me all pumped for nothing

I heard they start the whole secondary process in August

Members don't see this ad :)
They only offer secondaries to those they're going to interview, if I remember correctly, so they probably start a bit later than most.

Is that the same for in-state and OOS applicants? From their website, it seems like all OOS get a secondary, and then they decide whether you get an interview.

They only offer secondaries to those they're going to interview, if I remember correctly, so they probably start a bit later than most.

This is correct, as far as I remember.

According to the letter in the email sent today, it would appear that qualified in-staters get an interview, while qualified OOS get a secondary with the possibility of an interview.

According to the letter in the email sent today, it would appear that qualified in-staters get an interview, while qualified OOS get a secondary with the possibility of an interview.
no...if you get a secondary you get an interview. I am pretty sure, its just harder if you are OOS. I heard rumors they dont take any OOS with less than a 34, but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many years does a person have to live in North Carolina to be considered in-state?

You have to live in North Carolina for one year prior to the date you will be enrolling for a purpose other than to attend school.

The medical school does its own determination of residency status, and they are very generous with it.

just got a confirmation from UNC that they recieved my application and that I should be patient.

For OOS applicants, only qualified applicants receive the supplemental. I hear the cutoff is approximately 34/3.6 which seems relatively accurate. You can still be rejected post-secondary/pre-interview. ALL IS applicants who receive the secondary get interviewed.

From the secondary:

".The number of non-resident applicants who can be admitted is limited. North Carolina law (G.S. 116-143.1) requires that “To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must have established legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina and maintained that legal residence for at least 12 months immediately prior to his or her classification as a resident for tuition purposes.” (Physical presence in the state of North Carolina is important.)"

.To get in-state for UNC you have to be living in the state for the 12 months prior to starting school (I'm sure that this is your permanent address...so being away at college in another state does not effect it). They also ask you each address you have lived at for the last couple years (i think 3) up to application date. You will also have to show where your financial support comes from (you, parents, other) and what state the money is made in, where your bank accounts, personal belongs, cable tv accounts, etc are held.

Hope this helps

I just got the secondary today as an MD/PhD applicant, WOOHOOO!

By email.
md/phd students don't get the automatic interview though for md/phd, but we are deferred to an interview for md-only if we don't get it for md/phd

Not until January/February though :(

Since im IS and I got a secondary,i get an interview...right?

http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/supplemental-materials

One page and only respond to one

Prompt 1:
Please choose one of your volunteer experiences and discuss your role, the significance of your experience, and how it has contributed to your personal development

Prompt 2:
Please identify and explain five qualities that you possess that are important for an interviewer to know about you.

LORs: three individual or a committee.

Anyone else having problems filling out the application??

do the supp require $$ ? i cant figure it out

Application Fee

There is a $68.00 processing fee for all applications. Checks can be made out to the University of North Carolina and sent with your application. We will accept AMCAS fee waivers.

Yup.

apparently they havent even updated there system to accept interfolio yet this year...so i guess its really really early...she said sometime this week though. In fact she sounded suprised when I told her I was trying to send in my stuff already.

apparently they havent even updated there system to accept interfolio yet this year...so i guess its really really early...she said sometime this week though. In fact she sounded suprised when I told her I was trying to send in my stuff already.

How did you end up filling out the secondary because it doesn't seem to work very well? Some requested info doesn't have text boxes and some do.

How did you end up filling out the secondary because it doesn't seem to work very well? Some requested info doesn't have text boxes and some do.
Hand wrote it....I even tried select all to see if I could put it into word, but nothing worked...So.

so i didnt get a secondary yet. what the hell

Silly question... I'm OOS, so I dunno if I'll even be getting a secondary, but as I prepare for the possibility, just wanted to know: when they say 1 page, is it single-spaced or double? Or is there a sheet/text box provided?

Silly question... I'm OOS, so I dunno if I'll even be getting a secondary, but as I prepare for the possibility, just wanted to know: when they say 1 page, is it single-spaced or double? Or is there a sheet/text box provided?
I did mine single space..and its a sep piece of paper.

The MD/PhD section asks you to list specific research areas, but then they give you a huge space to do in it. Are they asking for a list of keywords (and then leaving a large space) or short descriptions in the list? Is it better to be concise and leave some space or to fill up the area they give you?

Just curious: do they send rejections by snail mail?

I received UNC's secondary today, for those OOSers interested:

GA resident with 33/3.7

Just got it too! OOS
But it doesn't mean we get an interview right?

Ah crap, so we send LORs after getting an interview for this too....

Nope no guaranteed interview for OOS secondary recipients.

From UNC Admissions FAQ
Out-of-State Applications

Supplemental applications will be sent to all qualified out-of-state applicants who meet our criteria. Once we receive the supplemental application and the required fee, all materials will be reviewed and the applicant will then be considered for an interview. Those applicants selected will be contacted for scheduling their interviews.

Good luck guys

what the hell. i'm instate, and i have not gotten a secondary yet. i applied early decision, got deferred, and now here i am with nothing :(

/

Last edited:
does anyone know the in state vs. out of state stats for unc? It's not on their website, but I was wondering if anyone had a general knowledge of it.

Just out of curiosity, did all of the folks that got the secondary already get the MCAT scores?

For any of you out of staters applying to UNC. Have y'all gotten an e-mail stating this? If so, does this mean a rejection is soon to follow, etc? Be honest, I expect to be rejected by them at some point as I have heard their cutoff for OOS MCAT to be a 34. Thanks! :)

We have received your electronic application from AMCAS, and want to thank you for your interest in the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. We will work hard to make the admissions process as easy and pleasant as possible.

While you are waiting to hear from us we have included preliminary information which will give you an overview of the admissions process. Please click on the link below to access this information.

We have received your electronic application from AMCAS, and want to thank you for your interest in the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. We will work hard to make the admissions process as easy and pleasant as possible.

While you are waiting to hear from us we have included preliminary information which will give you an overview of the admissions process. Please click on the link below to access this information.[/quote]

I'm instate, have a mcat >34, and still got this. I think they just send it to everyone.

Is everyone including a picture even though its optional? I'm too lazy to go print another one off but feel bad to send without it

Damnit, the "5 qualities" essay used to be a bulletted list. That would've been so much less painful...

Status
Not open for further replies.