2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, i received the confirmation email from UNC saying that they received my AMCAS on August 25 and I haven't heard anything back from them. i am an out of state applicant. since it's been about 2 weeks and a half, does it usually take them this long to do the screening process?

I'm really not sure how they determine when applicants are sent secondaries, so all I can speak of is my personal experience. I'm OOS and received the first email stating confirmation of my application on 8/11/08 and was then sent a secondary on 8/27/08. I submitted the secondary within a few days and have not heard a thing since.

Members don't see this ad.

i called the admissions office today to check the status of my application. not very helpful. but, fyi whoever i talked to said that they had not yet started to review OOS apps and wouldn't be starting to interview OOSers til mid-november.

i think she thought i had already submitted a secondary, but i was trying to see how long my AMCAS could possibly be under review. they've had it 8 weeks:eek:.

anyway, hope that info is helpful to someone

Members don't see this ad :)
They screen primaries. I already received my rejection letter so don't worry if you have not received a secondary. They do not interview you unless they practically have already said yes. Smile if it is taking a while.

Seems like they are swamped like some other schools. Just got the e-mail:

September 12, 2008

Thank you for your interest and your application to the UNC School of Medicine.
We have received over 2,450 applications as of September 12th, 2008, and we are
processing them as quickly as possible. The AMCAS Early Decision Program deadline
date was August 1st. Don't forget that September 13th, is the last MCAT test date
that we will accept for the fall 2009-10 application year.

For your convenience we have included the link below to the Daily Tar Heel, which
will give you current news and events happening on the UNC campus.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/.

Thank you again for your interest in the UNC School of Medicine, and we look forward to working with you!

Yes! You just beat me to the punchline!!! I got the email as well.

Just to give other OOS-er's my timeline, I turned in my secondary early August, got the email it was received on August 14th, and no word from them ever since until the most current email today. So no worries!

Seems like they are swamped like some other schools. Just got the e-mail:

September 12, 2008

processing them as quickly as possible. The AMCAS Early Decision Program deadline
date was August 1st. Don't forget that September 13th, is the last MCAT test date

For your convenience we have included the link below to the Daily Tar Heel, which

Thank you again for your interest in the UNC School of Medicine, and we look forward to working with you!

I just got this email today as well (though it's dated 9/12). Just wondering for those others out there who received this -- are you pre-secondary or post-secondary?

(I'm OOS, pre-secondary, they've had my AMCAS 8 weeks)

I just got this email today as well (though it's dated 9/12). Just wondering for those others out there who received this -- are you pre-secondary or post-secondary?

I also got this e-mail. They have had my AMCAS for about 5 weeks now. Btw, I am in-state. UNC really needs to hurry up. This better not be what I hope it isn't.

Would it hurt to call and ask what's going on?

Hey I am OOS as well. My AMCAS was confirmed in late July and I received the secondary on Aug 20th and turned it in a week later. I have not heard anything from them except for the previously mentioned email on the 12th :)

I received it and I'm post-secondary. But I'm in state. They told me that they would be contacting me to schedule an interview on Sept 5th, but I've heard that it's taking a while. I imagine OOS is going to take even longer.

I received it and I'm post-secondary. But I'm in state. They told me that they would be contacting me to schedule an interview on Sept 5th, but I've heard that it's taking a while. I imagine OOS is going to take even longer.

I also received it on 9/15...I'm in-state, pre-secondary. They've had my AMCAS for about 4 weeks.

Im OOS and just got an e-mail request for the supplemental application, My AMCAS got verified mid-july. Im a 31N with 3.5 and a Biomedical Master's Student, if anyone is curious. What are my chances for getting an interview??

Any tips on picking which essay prompt to write?

It seems that prompt 1 would be easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone interested...I just got a letter confirming my in state status. I've been living in VA for the past four years as a full-time student. But since I've been here I've had to change my voter registration and my driver's license. Granted I went to UNC undergrad, but this speaks to their leniency. Good luck everyone :)

Have any OOSers gotten interviews?

ahh...sent the secondary in tonight... feels good to be done... for now.

They called to schedule my interview today while I was at work! :( Guess I'll have to schedule it on Monday...:smack:

How long after your AMCAS application was verified did you receive the secondary application?

Well, my AMCAS was complete July 11th. So I'm not sure when they started offering secondaries. They sent me an email on August 18th saying that they'd received my AMCAS and then I got the secondary on the 21st. I got notification of the secondary being complete on September 5th.

How long after your secondary was complete did you get a call about your interview?

For me it was like three or four weeks I think. It hasn't been too long.

They called to schedule my interview today while I was at work! :( Guess I'll have to schedule it on Monday...:smack:

Did they email you at all beforehand, or just call your office first thing? Also, do you know what time they called? Thanks!

No warning...she just called and left a message. They have my cell number, and I don't get reception at work so I didn't get the message until I got off, but she called around 3:30.

how many oos students does unc offer secondaries and then, invite for interview?

Last edited:
Did they email you at all beforehand, or just call your office first thing? Also, do you know what time they called? Thanks!

I think they called about three on Friday for me with no email. Good luck to everyone. :luck:

Do you guys know when they start to interview OOSers?

Do you guys know when they start to interview OOSers?

I am wondering the same thing. If anyone can share some information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

hey, i got an email fron unc saying they received my AMCAS app on aug 25 and then another email saying they are backed up by applications on sept 15. i have not heard anything back since then. Should I call them up to check on the status? I am an OOS with 31Q MCAT and 3.6 GPA. What are my chances making it through their prescreening for secondary? thanks.

hey, i got an email fron unc saying they received my AMCAS app on aug 25 and then another email saying they are backed up by applications on sept 15. i have not heard anything back since then. Should I call them up to check on the status? I am an OOS with 31Q MCAT and 3.6 GPA. What are my chances making it through their prescreening for secondary? thanks.

Just be patient, there are in-state people who have been complete since the end of August who haven't heard anything either.

Got an email today saying that my secondary application has been received and someone would contact me shortly to schedule an interview.... how long does it usually take from this point?

Got an email today saying that my secondary application has been received and someone would contact me shortly to schedule an interview.... how long does it usually take from this point?

I think I have been waiting three weeks since this email and still have not heard anything. I believe it is around 3-4 weeks, but as long as 7.

I have pretty much the same stats as you (OOS). I got the "amcas receieved" email on 7/23 and the normal 9/15 email and haven't heard anything either. I've kind of given up on hearing anything from them, it seems the OOSers who are going to get secondaries have gotten them.

What is this 9/15 email everyone is talking about? I did not get that and I was submitted way before then.

What is this 9/15 email everyone is talking about? I did not get that and I was submitted way before then.

It's this one:

September 12, 2008

Im an OOS and sent them back a secondary about a week ago, do they reply verifying if they recieved ur completed secondary? when do they schedule interviews?

Nothing new this month?

I am still waiting for them to call me and set up this elusive interview they promised....

From the looks of the rejection thread, it doesn't look like they have flat out rejected anyone.

I am OOS and submitted primary in mid July. I'm not optimistic at this point, as my MCAT is not stellar.

i received an email from UNC saying they received my AMCAS on Aug 25 and another email saying they are backed up by applications on Sept 15. I decided to call today and was told that they are reviewing OOS applicants right now. Their criteria are 33 MCAT and 3.55 GPA for OOS. My numbers are 31 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. Are there any OOS applicants here with numbers lower than their criteria who received secondary/interview invites? I don't wanna get screened out just because I'm two points short of their MCAT criteria, which is probably just a difference of 3-4 questions on the exam. Thanks!

i received an email from UNC saying they received my AMCAS on Aug 25 and another email saying they are backed up by applications on Sept 15. I decided to call today and was told that they are reviewing OOS applicants right now. Their criteria are 33 MCAT and 3.55 GPA for OOS. My numbers are 31 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. Are there any OOS applicants here with numbers lower than their criteria who received secondary/interview invites? I don't wanna get screened out just because I'm two points short of their MCAT criteria, which is probably just a difference of 3-4 questions on the exam. Thanks!

You say their criteria are 33 MCAT and 3.55 GPA for OOS like it's a fact... did they tell you this on the phone?

For what it's worth, I received a secondary for their MD/PhD program, and one of my stats is below those criteria (but the other is substantially above).

You say their criteria are 33 MCAT and 3.55 GPA for OOS like it's a fact... did they tell you this on the phone?

For what it's worth, I received a secondary for their MD/PhD program, and one of my stats is below those criteria (but the other is substantially above).

yeap, that's what i was told on the phone.

i called today too. guy said i was still under review. i don't know if the cutoff is real or not, but i am keeping fingers crossed. one stat is lower than you mention, but i feel like if it were a definite cutoff i'd have already been rejected. but...who knows. good luck

When do they start giving OOS interviews????? Everytime I check their website, It makes me really wanna go there. I just happen to like the south...

For in-state people who have received and submitted your secondary application, did you send your LORs when you sent in your secondary or did you wait until they called you to schedule your interview?

For in-state people who have received and submitted your secondary application, did you send your LORs when you sent in your secondary or did you wait until they called you to schedule your interview?

I am waiting until they call me. They don't need them until 2 weeks AFTER your interview, so there's no rush in sending them right now. I figure that if I send them when I schedule my interview, they will be there in plenty of time for the actual interview.

For those that are talking about the OOS "cutoffs." I'm pretty sure there no such thing as a cutoff. Those are probably suggested stats for OOS applications.

Since the info from everyone else has been so helpful- here is mine:

AMCAS verified 8/29, MCAT scores sent on 10/7, received secondary invite 10/14.

MCAT 31S, GPA 3.89, sci GPA 3.88

Status
Not open for further replies.