2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have started working on the orientation website. As of now, the links on the right side are from last year, though.

http://med.unc.edu/orientation


oopsy - I should have mentioned that to you guys as well when I saw that three days ago....thanks, talkalot24!


...they'll be deciding on laptops soon, too. They said for sure the R400 won't be recommended. Ignore the prices from the link below, I think they go up for med students with software they put on it for us. From the old website they suggest paying for the latops during tax free weekend I think? (this year for NC it's aug 7-9, just before orientation, saves you some money)

http://cci.unc.edu/laptops.html
 
with regards to loans - which lender is best? (edit😳r which lender are most people going with if there really isn't a 'best' one)

are most people reducing the amount of loans they have offered? I think the estimates they give are much higher than needed to live comfortably...how much to reduce is the question?!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
with regards to loans - which lender is best? (edit😳r which lender are most people going with if there really isn't a 'best' one)

are most people reducing the amount of loans they have offered? I think the estimates they give are much higher than needed to live comfortably...how much to reduce is the question?!

I went with CFNC because they had no origination fee and there was some other fee that they didn't have... I'm not reducing my loans... If I have left over then I will just pay it back at the end of the semester, but I figure better to have extra for those unexpected expenses.
 
So I called the office today to keep up the waitlist hope, but they said they were holding steady at 160 and I'm somewhere in the middle.
 
Last edited:
So I called the office today to keep up the waitlist hope, but they said they were holding steady at 160 and I'm somewhere in the middle. I think I'm going to withdraw soon.

Hey, who did you talk to in the office? Male or female if u dont know the name
 
Hey, who did you talk to in the office? Male or female if u dont know the name


Joni, our interviewer arranger

Pretty much this was the convo:

Me: Hi, I'm calling about the waitlist
Joni: Yes?
Me: Um, I start school soon, and I was wondering if I could find out about my position on the waitlist
Joni: We don't give out that information
Me: I start school really soon, is there any way you can tell me around where I stand?
Joni: What's your name?
Me: ______ _____
Joni: Ok, wait a minute, *goes off somewhere*
Me: *waits*
Joni: Well it looks like you're in the middle of the waitlist
Me: Oh ok thanks.
Joni: Just so you know, we're holding steady at 160.
Me: Ok, thanks. Bye.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. I might try to pump someone for information over there too. I'll not pick Joni though since she tends to be the "you're on a need to know basis" answer. 😎

I'm amazed you could get any information out of her. Well done.
 
I don't have any links at all. Maybe they took the old ones down and are in the process of putting the new ones up.

They took the old ones down. It had a checklist, laptop link, forms link, and a few others. According to the statement by the co-presidents they're putting up new links that will have everything we need. I just wonder why it isn't done in one shot. Putting in new links, a new statement and uploading some documents can't take that long....right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looks like Kay Hagan's son will be in our class. That should make conversations regarding the direction of health care in this country interesting!
 
Hey now, Kay Hagan supports the VA hospitals with their wonderful hours and healthcare benefits and full pay pensions. I dunno about you but i'm sold.
 
Do we have the ICM class in the afternoon 4 days a week or do we have groups that meet only on certain days?
 
I sent back this form indicating I'm opting for the student health insurance they offer. Do I need to do anything else with it or am I all set? When does insurance start?
 
I just ran into Dr. Bashford (we work in the same department). It appears that the waitlist is moving slower than usual/expected, which is kinda what we expected, but has now been confirmed. It's good to know, but still sucks....
 
I just ran into Dr. Bashford (we work in the same department). It appears that the waitlist is moving slower than usual/expected, which is kinda what we expected, but has now been confirmed. It's good to know, but still sucks....

Two words: That blows.

two more: Big time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is biochem and cell/molecular a review of what was required to matriculate? lol...werent the requirements like 2 classes of basic bio, 2 of gen chem, orgo chem, and physics?

lol I was wondering that myself!!! it's also super sad that although I took biochem, I didn't learn anything which was my own fault! I never took notes and barely studied. I just lucked out that my class was very small (less than ten) and none of us were very focused, so when we bombed the tests the teacher thought it was her and curved a lot. 🙄 I suppose now I'm paying for that...ah well I've started reviewing the GUTS. Funny how it's all making sense the second time around (ahhh so that's how I count the carbons)!! lol
 
For all those on the waitlist... it moved yesterday! a friend from work got the call. Just shows don't loose hope till the very end.

for all those coming.. can't wait to see you on Monday!
 
For all those on the waitlist... it moved yesterday! a friend from work got the call. Just shows don't loose hope till the very end.

for all those coming.. can't wait to see you on Monday!

I'm not holding my breath by any means. Maybe next year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.