2008-2009 Dartmouth Medical Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone received an interview invitation in the month of January yet? I'm seriously holding my breath over here.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received an interview invitation in the month of January yet? I'm seriously holding my breath over here.

I'm still holding out for them as well. On the bright side, we haven't gotten the rejection letter yet! I believe those have been going out periodically since the first big batch.

bummer - I was holding out after making it through the first few rounds without getting cut, but just got a pre-interview e-mail rejection.. I didn't even know they did e-mail rejections :( Good luck to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete Oct. 20, 2008, and I got the email for the invite on the 5th of Jan.

Yes, and I think they've changed from snail mail to e-mail :confused: I got an e-mail rejection yesterday after being complete since August.

so they're sending out pre-interview rejections?

if we haven't heard back since being complete in october/nov is there still hope? *clings*

Anyone know when they start waitlisting or denying post-interview?

Just wondering because I interviewed there so long ago I would like an idea!!

Rejoice fellow DMS hopefuls, I have turned down my acceptance since I now have better california options. On the count of three I will throw my acceptance into the ring, and I will enjoy watching those who remain fight for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejoice fellow DMS hopefuls, I have turned down my acceptance since I now have better california options. On the count of three I will throw my acceptance into the ring, and I will enjoy watching those who remain fight for it.

this is one of the most toolish things i've seen written on SDN, but thanks for turning it down now and now waiting until may. i suppose that redeems you

Krav maga + Muay Thai, bitch!

*clinch --> crotch knee*

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could demolish me. Watch the fights tonight?

There's actually an MMA school near Dartmouth - at least for no-gi, muay thai, and boxing. For gi, we'd have to start a club and **** around. Maybe we could find a brown belt student in the area willing to teach. If not, we can always just roll and learn as we go.

Woohoo, I hope it goes to another Californian... and I know the perfect one;)

Funky, as a fellow californian, what do you see in Dartmouth that I don't? I thought living in hanover would be an absolutely miserable existence, but I think I put a little more emphasis on location than most other premeds. Please, open my eyes for me.

Funky, as a fellow californian, what do you see in Dartmouth that I don't? I thought living in hanover would be an absolutely miserable existence, but I think I put a little more emphasis on location than most other premeds. Please, open my eyes for me.

My sister tells me that it is my rebound for Mayo:eek:

I thought it was a quaint medical school, I loved the old architecture, the people seemed happy, and I think it would be awesome to live in Hanover...
I really loved Hanover and New Hampshire in general, and even though I love having 80 degree weather in the winter, I think it would be awesome. I actually liked the location, and I enjoy the rural areas. It is not like I go clubbing, or go to bars, so the lack of those does not matter to me. Plus it has the one of the best outdoors areas, and I love hiking, and I would love to go Kayaking on the river. Their hospital also seemed awesome...

*sigh* I hope I get in...

My sister tells me that it is my rebound for Mayo:eek:

I thought it was a quaint medical school, I loved the old architecture, the people seemed happy, and I think it would be awesome to live in Hanover...
I really loved Hanover and New Hampshire in general, and even though I love having 80 degree weather in the winter, I think it would be awesome. I actually liked the location, and I enjoy the rural areas. It is not like I go clubbing, or go to bars, so the lack of those does not matter to me. Plus it has the one of the best outdoors areas, and I love hiking, and I would love to go Kayaking on the river. Their hospital also seemed awesome...

*sigh* I hope I get in...
Don't be greedy Funky.

This Californian needs it more than you ;)

Hey guys,

I got an interview invite today of all days. Its a bit late in the cycle and I'm just wondering if I should go interview at DMS? I'm a Canadian and by this point, I'm assuming I'm interviewing for a wait-list position... or I am I? Do DMS have rolling acceptances? I looked at the DMS acceptance stats and it seems like they only accept like 70 people overall heh... Check out the MDApps: Any suggestions or comments would be welcome. Feel free to PM me.

Hey guys,

I got an interview invite today of all days. Its a bit late in the cycle and I'm just wondering if I should go interview at DMS? I'm a Canadian and by this point, I'm assuming I'm interviewing for a wait-list position... or I am I? Do DMS have rolling acceptances? I looked at the DMS acceptance stats and it seems like they only accept like 70 people overall heh... Check out the MDApps: Any suggestions or comments would be welcome. Feel free to PM me.
They are only slightly rolling.... Seems most acceptances aren't given out until they have a definite ranking of us after everyone is interviewed. Your chances aren't too horrible interviewing right now.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could demolish me. Watch the fights tonight?

There's actually an MMA school near Dartmouth - at least for no-gi, muay thai, and boxing. For gi, we'd have to start a club and **** around. Maybe we could find a brown belt student in the area willing to teach. If not, we can always just roll and learn as we go.

Oh sweet. That's good to hear...

I'm contemplating whether or not to go to my DMS interview. I know it's a great school, but given it's late and it took this long to get an interview, I don't wanna spend all that money and effort if I don't have a good chance of getting in. I am also not sure if I'd ever want to go to Dartmouth, mostly because it's in the middle of nowhere. Any interviewees/accepted students/current students want to tell me more about what makes DMS special, whether they liked it or not to help me make the decision? Thanks guys!

I'm contemplating whether or not to go to my DMS interview. I know it's a great school, but given it's late and it took this long to get an interview, I don't wanna spend all that money and effort if I don't have a good chance of getting in. I am also not sure if I'd ever want to go to Dartmouth, mostly because it's in the middle of nowhere. Any interviewees/accepted students/current students want to tell me more about what makes DMS special, whether they liked it or not to help me make the decision? Thanks guys!

You'll never know until you go and see for yourself. :)
I don't think that you should say you don't have a good chance. If you've been given an interview you have a decent chance. True, not all interviewees are created equal, but if they believed in you enough to give you an interview then you have a good shot at getting in!

i hope this gives hope for some of you guys but i got an interview invite today... not sure if i'm going to go though. i'm exhausted of traveling money and energy =/... i was complete in late september

i hope this gives hope for some of you guys but i got an interview invite today... not sure if i'm going to go though. i'm exhausted of traveling money and energy =/... i was complete in late september

im not sure whether you picked the date or they chose for you but do you happen to know until when dartmouth stops interviewing?

Anyone know if renting a car is the only way to get to DMS from Manchester Airport (MHT)? Greyhound works to get to DMS, but Hanover to DMS only runs at 8 AM and 1 PM.

Can people post how they got there...flying to MHT is byfar cheaper for me so I'd prefer that.

You need to check it out for yourself but I can say for my part, I went there for undergrad and LOVED it, applied there for med school, and am seriously considering going back (after living in Miami for 3 years). You'll find that many (I'll even hazard, most) Dartmouth alum are fiercely loyal to the school. Its a small, very tight-knit community. That has its pluses and its minuses - people are super enthusiastic to come together to accomplish things but you really have to be self-motivated to create opportunities. I've hard through the grapevine that the first 2 years are relatively challenging but that DMS alum have a reputation for being well-trained.

Anyone know if renting a car is the only way to get to DMS from Manchester Airport (MHT)? Greyhound works to get to DMS, but Hanover to DMS only runs at 8 AM and 1 PM.

Can people post how they got there...flying to MHT is byfar cheaper for me so I'd prefer that.

the med school is in Hanover

im not sure whether you picked the date or they chose for you but do you happen to know until when dartmouth stops interviewing?

they give me the options feb 17, 19, or 24.. i dont know when dartmouth stops interviewing =/

If you drive fast (80mph) it takes about 1 hour to get from MHT to DMS... Even during "rush hour"...

They have never seen LA rush hour, where you can barely go 10 miles in 1 hour....:mad:

they give me the options feb 17, 19, or 24.. i dont know when dartmouth stops interviewing =/

Dartmouth stops interviewing in mid-late march... at least that is how it was last year....

Landed in MHT too. Rented a car to DMS.

just got an interview invite!! also with the options of choosing from 2/17, 2/19, or 2/24. I'm really very excited, but also worried a bit that these are all Tues or Thurs dates.

I go to a Virginia school, and if I schedule a Tues interview (at this point, Im most likely picking 2/17 T), I'd really really like to get back by Tuesday night or super-duper early Wednesday morning so that I can go to my classes on Wednesday... is this a possibility??

I read posts above about flying into MHT and renting a car and driving for about an hour to get to the school, but since I'm a very inexperienced driver, this is not an option for me... but as with most applicants, I need the cheapest option possible... any suggestions given the time limit?? This is tougher than I thought... but I'm very excited!!! :xf:

PS - lastly, I apologize if this has been posted before, but what are the acceptance rates post-interview, anyone know?

thanks!

just got an interview invite!! also with the options of choosing from 2/17, 2/19, or 2/24. I'm really very excited, but also worried a bit that these are all Tues or Thurs dates.

I go to a Virginia school, and if I schedule a Tues interview (at this point, Im most likely picking 2/17 T), I'd really really like to get back by Tuesday night or super-duper early Wednesday morning so that I can go to my classes on Wednesday... is this a possibility??

I read posts above about flying into MHT and renting a car and driving for about an hour to get to the school, but since I'm a very inexperienced driver, this is not an option for me... but as with most applicants, I need the cheapest option possible... any suggestions given the time limit?? This is tougher than I thought... but I'm very excited!!! :xf:

PS - lastly, I apologize if this has been posted before, but what are the acceptance rates post-interview, anyone know?

thanks!

If you don't want to drive your options are: fly into Manchester, take the Greyhound to Hanover. But on the way back, there are no buses after 1 PM so you'd have to stay an extra night and take a flight the day after your interview, which it sounds might not be good for you.

The other option is fly into Boston-Logan, take the Dartmouth Coach for 3 hours each way...might be more time effective, less cost effective.

Congrats on the invite!

If you don't want to drive your options are: fly into Manchester, take the Greyhound to Hanover. But on the way back, there are no buses after 1 PM so you'd have to stay an extra night and take a flight the day after your interview, which it sounds might not be good for you.

The other option is fly into Boston-Logan, take the Dartmouth Coach for 3 hours each way...might be more time effective, less cost effective.

Congrats on the invite!

I think there's also an airplane that flies only between Boston-Logan and Lebanon airport. I think it's JetBlue. I've never used Lebanon airport before, and it's supposed to be expensive, but it's another option if you're pressed for time.

Just got an email with a waitlist decision...

Yay....

*goes to cry in a corner*

*Pat pat*

I'm going to join you since I got the same email. It'll be alright, I'm sure we'll make it through somehow.

*Pat pat*

I'm going to join you since I got the same email. It'll be alright, I'm sure we'll make it through somehow.

me too! I'm pretty much the waitlist king now (4 of 6 schools) but don't worry I'll get the other 2 waitlists soon.

When did the waitlisted people interview?:scared:

i got waitlisted too. i interviewed mid-december. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.