2008-2009 Duke Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an email from Duke. My heart almost skipped a beat. Turned out to be only a survey.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh gosh, you made MY heart skip a beat, reading the first half of that post... :p

This question is directed at current students at Duke or students that may know something about the behind the scenes of admissions. If an interviewer told me something was "red-flagged" on my application (it was a good update) does that mean something other than it was marked?

Members don't see this ad :)
1 day left... getting anxious!

Tell me about it! Since I have tomorrow off from work, it's going to be tempting to sit in front of the computer all day and refresh my e-mail inbox every 10 seconds or so, but I am determined to go out and distract myself.

Ugh I feel like I'm going to vomit.

Not getting in not getting in not getting in not getting in.....

this is my mantra. I need to calm down.

so does everyone hear their decision tomorrow from duke?

Well, my understanding is that they're "starting" tomorrow. Waitlists and rejections come by email, acceptances by snail mail. I interviewed waaaaaaaaay back when so I'm almost positive I'll be hearing back tomorrow. Since I'm getting rejected.

Well, my understanding is that they're "starting" tomorrow. Waitlists and rejections come by email, acceptances by snail mail. I interviewed waaaaaaaaay back when so I'm almost positive I'll be hearing back tomorrow. Since I'm getting rejected.

I feel pretty much the same. I am so nervous, and I don't know why. Its not like I can do anything, but I'm all fidgety anyway :/

Well, the way I'm looking at it is that I got my interview invite at like 7 am my time (pacific) and woke up to it. So I'm hoping my rejection comes that way too. I'll be too sleep-befuddled for it to really register and I'll just go to work afterward and move on with my life, instead of spending the whole day staring terrifyingly at gmail.

Well, the way I'm looking at it is that I got my interview invite at like 7 am my time (pacific) and woke up to it. So I'm hoping my rejection comes that way too. I'll be too sleep-befuddled for it to really register and I'll just go to work afterward and move on with my life, instead of spending the whole day staring terrifyingly at gmail.

Gmail...best friend or worst enemy? If I'm going to get bad news then I hope it comes early too!

This is also my mantra. I need to keep telling myself that I'm getting rejected, because all I keep seeing in my head is getting that wonderful letter in the mail. And obviously, the chances of this happening are not great, for me moreso than most people who have interviewed at Duke, I think. My resume just isn't as long (at least, medically/scientifically speaking) as most interviewees.

Sorry for bitching and moaning. I can't help it though!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is also my mantra. I need to keep telling myself that I'm getting rejected, because all I keep seeing in my head is getting that wonderful letter in the mail. And obviously, the chances of this happening are not great, for me moreso than most people who have interviewed at Duke, I think.

Same for me. Both my GPA and MCAT are WELL below the average and I don't really think the rest of my app is impressive enough to make up for it. I just feel really proud that Duke even considered me for an interview in all honesty.

Same for me. Both my GPA and MCAT are WELL below the average and I don't really think the rest of my app is impressive enough to make up for it. I just feel really proud that Duke even considered me for an interview in all honesty.

Ditto. I just feel like it's way too out of my league to even really have a shot. Oh well, it's an honor to have interviewed.

Ditto. I just feel like it's way too out of my league to even really have a shot. Oh well, it's an honor to have interviewed.

Come on, guys (and girls)! I know negativity is serving as a defense mechanism against disappointment, but we all have a chance. Duke wouldn't have bothered interviewing us if they were certain to reject us.

LET and everyone else: We have worked really hard to even get to this point, it's OK to dream a little bit! I don't think torturing ourselves by thinking of our "deficiencies" will make the decisions that are about to come any less painful/exciting. I have always believed that if the school took the effort to interview you, then your chances are just as good as anyone else! Have faith everyone. Good luck to all of us! :)

Come on, guys (and girls)! I know negativity is serving as a defense mechanism against disappointment, but we all have a chance. Duke wouldn't have bothered interviewing us if they were certain to reject us.

Stop it with your encouraging words! Your silver tongue won't fool us, you pernicious harbinger of optimism!

For serious, though, I NEED a defense mechanism against disappointment. Duke is not only the perfect school for me in terms of "fit," it's also one of only a few schools that work for me geographically. So I REALLY, REALLY (REALLY REALLY REALLY) want to get in here, and the irrational part of my brain keeps telling me that I will. So the disappointment is already going to be huge - I just can't let it get TOO huge.

I have always believed that if the school took the effort to interview you, then your chances are just as good as anyone else! Have faith everyone. Good luck to all of us! :)

Unfortunately, this is only true if you didn't blackmail a member of the admissions committee to get an interview in the first place. How is that fair?

Dude, what the hell? You have a $250,000 scholarship to Vanderbilt. Jesus. One way or the other, you're going to an amazing medical school.

I didn't say I'm not thrilled about Vanderbilt, I said I'm nervous about another decision that's coming tomorrow. Is that not allowed?

It's patently silly. And it grates on my nerves simply because you already have won the bloody jackpot, and now you're complaining that you might not win a second one.

It's patently silly. And it grates on my nerves simply because you already have won the bloody jackpot, and now you're complaining that you might not win a second one.

Am I complaining? I didn't realize I was. Silly me indeed for not knowing what I'm actually feeling, and thank goodness you're here to let me know.

Ah, forget it. I'm sorry. I'm being an ass. This process has destroyed me thoroughly.

Sorry. Take care.

orrrr let's not get on each others nerves just cuz it's march :)

Way out of my league, unfortunately. Hell, I can't even get into schools that are in my league. :laugh:

I didn't say I'm not thrilled about Vanderbilt, I said I'm nervous about another decision that's coming tomorrow. Is that not allowed?

um... I had exactly one interview. I wish I had the security of already holding an acceptance somewhere.

I dropped off my LOI in person on Tuesday... They were closed on Monday due to the snow and it was serious *sadface* for me.

i hope they do it early in the day or I will just be....freaking...out:scared:

um... I had exactly one interview. I wish I had the security of already holding an acceptance somewhere.

You've only had one interview and it was at Duke? Yikes. I've had a bunch, but no good news anywhere (one competitive waitlist, 3 rejections, 1 Vandy waitlist, 2 silences), so I'm feeling like I'm basically in the same boat as you.

so if we don't get an e-mail tomorrow, it may be a good sign right?

so if we don't get an e-mail tomorrow, it may be a good sign right?

Guess so?! Or it might mean that it's medical school admissions and you can't actually make assumptions or believe anything anyone tells you or know anything about anything, ever.

We should all just withdraw from Duke right now :(

oh no! the website changed again! it doesn't state anything about march 6th anymore!

i hate to say it, but its a little comforting to hear that so many other people are as doubtful about getting accepted into Duke as i am....personally, i am so shocked and honored to have even interviewed at Duke....i cant even fathom being accepted! and i thought i was the only one feeling this way....
but, as we all hold Duke in such high esteem (and rightfully so), we also have to remember that we were interviewed for a reason...Dr. Armstrong told me on interview day that they have accepted people with MCATs as low as 21 and GPAs as low as 2.0....
so there is a chance, right?
good luck to everyone tomorrow!!
i know i wont sleep tonight...
here's to NO EMAILS!!!!! :xf:

oh no! the website changed again! it doesn't state anything about march 6th anymore!

OMG....you're right!! now it just says that notifications will be made after the committee reviews ALL applicants...
NOOOOOOOOOOO! i cant take this anymore!

that sums up just about everything we need to know over the next few days, I think. LET, you're a sweetie, I hope you get this one too, but if not it must be lovely to have a good fallback.

Retsage and others, I'm also without an acceptance at this point, so I'm feeling you!

I so don't fit their applicant profile, but I loved my interview and I love Duke in general. If it works, great; if not, I gave it my all.

Good luck to everyone!

:luck::xf:

Thank you so much! Good luck to you!!!! I hope everything works out. They'd be lucky to have you.

:scared::mad: precisely! Never make assumptions....

this is prolly because the committee hasn't reach a decision on every applicant...maybe some committee members disagree on some applicants?

i seriously just cried a little bit...

prolly maybe next week?

o...i heard some people who get accepted are notified through phone calls?

do they still do that? wat if u dont pick up?

prolly maybe next week?

o...i heard some people who get accepted are notified through phone calls?

do they still do that? wat if u dont pick up?

I don't think they're doing that this year.

But who even knows anymore?! Maybe we'll get phone calls, maybe emails, maybe smoke signals, maybe it'll be tomorrow, maybe it'll be in 2 weeks. Maybe the sun will explode today and we won't find out if we've gotten in before we die. And before Duke disappears.

Edit: Dear Dean, if you're reading this, I mean no disrespect. Please don't hate me :)

I also enjoyed the all caps, "PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE OFFICE REGARDING THE STATUS OF DECISION LETTERS." They know pre-meds too well.

I don't think they're doing that this year.

But who even knows anymore?! Maybe we'll get phone calls, maybe emails, maybe smoke signals, maybe it'll be tomorrow, maybe it'll be in 2 weeks. Maybe the sun will explode today and we won't find out if we've gotten in before we die. And before Duke disappears.

hehe...calm down :) i'm sure it will work out in the end :)

^
I wouldn't have and would have been all the happier for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.