2008-2009 Duke Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After you are done with the interviews you can ask the very nice administrative assistant in the admin office to check your file to see that all your recs are in there.

you dont need to have them received the letters by your interview date?

Members don't see this ad.

P.S. It sounds like they had to open up an additional week of interviews. Some were saying they are scheduled for 2/20, "the last day," but my options were 2/18, 2/24, 2/26 and 2/27. Don't know if that means anything to anyone, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
P.S. It sounds like they had to open up an additional week of interviews. Some were saying they are scheduled for 2/20, "the last day," but my options were 2/18, 2/24, 2/26 and 2/27. Don't know if that means anything to anyone, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh nice :D When I picked a date, on their scheduling calendar, 2/20 was the last available date.

That was nice of Duke! - I hope other schools do that too :laugh:

Oh excellent :D

I got an invite today, but when I tried to schedule, all the days are "unavailable." does anyone know what i should do in this case?

I got an invite today, but when I tried to schedule, all the days are "unavailable." does anyone know what i should do in this case?

Call admissions. You will probably have to do a regional interview.

I've noticed that a few SDN'ers (myself included) have had difficulties finding student hosts the night before the interview during this application cycle. I am not trying to generalize from a few known instances, but can any of this be attributed to how busy students are at Duke, especially during the first year? Once again, I'm just curious if this was a possibility and in no way asserting that this is a fact. Thanks!

I've noticed that a few SDN'ers (myself included) have had difficulties finding student hosts the night before the interview during this application cycle. I am not trying to generalize from a few known instances, but can any of this be attributed to how busy students are at Duke, especially during the first year? Once again, I'm just curious if this was a possibility and in no way asserting that this is a fact. Thanks!
I don't think so. Sometimes that's true, like if you interview during exam week or something, as it's mostly first years that host. Plus, since Duke interviews 5 days a week and interviews sometimes 12+ applicants per day, it's difficult finding hosts for everyone every night.

I hosted some my first year (and enjoyed it!), and I'd say the biggest hindrance to hosting for me in the spring semester was waking up so early. I stopped going to class and just studied from home, so having to wake up at 7-7:15 am just to take the applicant in was difficult. I can't speak for what everyone else feels and I'm sure there are a variey of reasons why it may at times be difficult finding a host, but that was my (selfish) reasoning.

I've already had my interview at Duke, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem: My application online says that they haven't received my LORs yet. I called them pre-interview and the admissions office said they had them, they just haven't updated my online application yet. At my interview, I spoke directly to the admissions lady and she again said she had them (this was about 5 weeks after I first contacted them). My interview was mid-December, and it still indicates that they haven't received my LORs yet. Should I contact the admissions office again?

I have that exact same problem (the LORs thing). They probably have both of ours and just never updated our pages. :)

If they don't have your letters, they will email you to tell you. At least they did for me. I wouldn't worry about the website.

Agree w/Mr. Burns. Also, during the beginning of the year, the first years are usually really excited to host people, but by Jan it's not so exciting to be a host and there are other things they'd rather be doing, and at the same time, the number of interviewees increases. Also, most of the class lives with each other, so 2 people end up only being able to host one applicant, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My status page also said that I was missing LORs despite sending them in several months ago (pre-interview, oops). I called admissions today and was told that my LORs were received but not recorded on the status page. Like Restage said, unless they email you that they do not have them, I wouldn't worry about it.

Does anyone know whether regional interviews are given the same weight as interviews in the school itself? Are the people that interview you in regional interviews also voting in the admissions decision?

Does anyone know whether regional interviews are given the same weight as interviews in the school itself? Are the people that interview you in regional interviews also voting in the admissions decision?

I believe your interview is given the same weight, in terms of the value it is given WRT the decision on your application (it wouldn't make sense any other way). Regional interviewees historically have actually had higher rates of acceptance. I don't think the people who interview you vote with the adcom because they are located wherever it is that your interview is, and certainly don't have the time to conference call or whatever. But not everyone that does on campus interviews is on the committee that makes decisions either.

Just got an invite! I submitted my app in July. What does this mean? Am I interviewing for a waitlist spot?

edit: thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Just got an invite! I submitted my app in July. What does this mean? Am I interviewing for a waitlist spot?

I'm a little demoralized b/c two of my top schools (happen to be top 20) so far rejected me post-interview. I believe the reason might have been my semester-a year involvement in research. And now Duke, a powerhouse, sends me an invite months later. I'll go but I feel like I'm walking into a rejection.
You'll only walk into a rejection if that's the attitude you have going into it.

/end cheesy inspirational cliche

In reality, you are most certainly not interviewing for a waitlist spot. Regardless of when you were offered an interview, the fact that you were means Duke sees something/many things about you they like. You'll be given the same consideration as everyone else. Best of luck!

Can any med student at Duke explain how much weight the interviews are given in admissions decisions? Also can someone comment about the amount of waitlist movement?

Can any med student at Duke explain how much weight the interviews are given in admissions decisions? Also can someone comment about the amount of waitlist movement?
The interview is given considerable weight. How much I can't exactly say, but it's not just a "weed out the weirdos" kind of thing.

Waitlist movement varies depending on the year. I think the fewest movement Duke has seen recently was about 6-7 people, but that's hearsay because I only heard that from someone else. It got as high as like 15-17 people my year, but that was the same year as the lacrosse scandal so I think more movement was seen as a result.

They better or else I'm going to be a bit miffed (having now done a few regional interviews)! I think the only disadvantage is that you haven't had the specific opportunity to meet and interact with more of the admissions staff to make an impression on them, but really they see so many people it's hard for that interaction to be super memorable anyways. Otherwise interviews are given the same weight. Duke is sincerely concerned with being able to extend opportunity to everyone who is qualified and wanting to not have finances limit that.

Really borderline stats where it was a particular relationship to the school that helped get you an interview will require a *stellar* interview experience to have a good chance at admission. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a poor interview will keep an applicant with near perfect stats from getting in. In between, most applicants receiving an interview are academically qualified to potentially do well at Duke, so the personal part of the application makes a significant difference in your ranking and as such, the interview is a major component of that.

As for the waitlist, I think historically Duke sends admission offers to about 200 people for the 100 person class. This starts with an initial 150 offers to fill about 75-80 spots, followed by ~50-70 offers to fill the remaining 20-25 spots.

I called to schedule a regional interview about three and a half weeks ago... The lady took down my name and phone number and still hasn't called me back. Everytime I call to check on the status, she gets annoyed. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to schedule a regional interview?

I'm worried that if I don't get scheduled soon, the interview season will be over...

I called to schedule a regional interview about three and a half weeks ago... The lady took down my name and phone number and still hasn't called me back. Everytime I call to check on the status, she gets annoyed. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to schedule a regional interview?

I'm worried that if I don't get scheduled soon, the interview season will be over...

Who are you calling? The admissions office or the person who you were assigned to for the interview?

Who are you calling? The admissions office or the person who you were assigned to for the interview?

I called the office of admission's general number - the number I was told to call to schedule my regional interview. When I called, she told me she has about 100 of us to schedule and I should wait and that she will get back to me.

She didn't ask for my AAMC number, but only my name and phone number. I was worried she might have heard them wrong so I called a couple of times to confirm. She just wrote it down again and told me I'd be contacted. I'm pretty sure the person I spoke to was not the interviewer coordinator, whose name is Jeanine Holland. But I can't find her contact info.

Do you think it's reasonable to call again on Friday if I don't hear back?

I called the office of admission's general number - the number I was told to call to schedule my regional interview. When I called, she told me she has about 100 of us to schedule and I should wait and that she will get back to me.

She didn't ask for my AAMC number, but only my name and phone number. I was worried she might have heard them wrong so I called a couple of times to confirm. She just wrote it down again and told me I'd be contacted. I'm pretty sure the person I spoke to was not the interviewer coordinator, whose name is Jeanine Holland. But I can't find her contact info.

Do you think it's reasonable to call again on Friday if I don't hear back?
I would definitely call today or tomorrow as there are only a few more weeks of interviews.

I would definitely call today or tomorrow as there are only a few more weeks of interviews.

I'll definitely call tomorrow...

I just saw the following quote on their website. A webcam interview? Is that typical for Duke or is this the first year of doing so?

"We will work with you to schedule either a regional interview OR a video interview which will require that you have a webcam."

Does anyone know if Duke still has the 1/2 tuition scholarships for NC residents? If so, what are they called?

I just saw the following quote on their website. A webcam interview? Is that typical for Duke or is this the first year of doing so?

"We will work with you to schedule either a regional interview OR a video interview which will require that you have a webcam."

Ay, a webcam interview? I think that would be a little uncomfortable for me.

It'd be really funny if someone put on a shirt, tie and jacket, but wore pajama bottoms :)

haha shemarty, you and I must think alike. I had been considering the same scenario. In fact, I had convinced myself that I would do it if I had a webcam interview, but then I considered the possibility that the interviewer would anticipate it and find an excuse to make you stand up during the interview. Now I'm not so sure.

haha shemarty, you and I must think alike. I had been considering the same scenario. In fact, I had convinced myself that I would do it if I had a webcam interview, but then I considered the possibility that the interviewer would anticipate it and find an excuse to make you stand up during the interview. Now I'm not so sure.

Haha, I wonder how they'd do that. Anyway, I'd like to see someone try it :p

Were you able to schedule an interview? I believe this is Duke's first year doing virtual interviews. It's the school's way of still giving a pseudo face-to-face interview to those students who either can't afford a trip to NC and/or there aren't convenient regional interviews available. I think it's a cool idea, but only time will tell if it's good in practice.

derArzt, I believe the NC scholarships are called the Governor's Scholarship. They still existed for my class, but I can't say for sure if they do still exist.

I called this morning and the lady who answered the phone pretty much told me the same thing : there are over 100 of you and i will get to you. I didn't really say anything else so I guess i'll just have to wait. she didn't even ask for my name or anything....

I have an interview on Friday (I'm thrilled - Duke seems to be a perfect fit for me), and they couldn't find a student host for me. This is fine (I've made hotel arrangements), but it means I won't know what to do Thursday (tomorrow) around Durham. Do any current Duke students (med school or undergrad) have any advice on what I should spend my time in Durham doing, especially with regards to learning a bit more about the area and the med school itself? I'll be there from Thursday afternoon on.

Also, I'd definitely be willing to take any current med students out to dinner on me if they'd just be willing to tell me a bit about the school over a meal. PM me with contact info (since I'll be on the road tomorrow, a phone number is preferable to email) if you're willing and interested.

Thanks a bunch!

ETA: I suppose I should add that if any other interviewees want to meet up, that'd be great too. Just PM me with contact info.

Last edited:
There is nothing to do in Durham. If you don't want to be disappointed, just stay inside Duke University. The town is pitiful and borderline unsafe in many areas.

Rent a car and go to Charlotte.

Wow...that's a little harsh. If you have a rental car you can go to Chapel Hill or Raleigh to hang out. I wouldn't suggest just roaming around the campus though.

I'm actually driving there (I live in-state), so I can get around easily. I'd just like to get a feel for what being a student there would be like.

Does anyone know exactly (or at least roughly) when Duke will be mailing out their decisions? Thanks.

Friday the 13th interviews ftw?

Anyone else interviewing today? I'm a little nervous about the potential for health care questions.

You'll almost undoubtedly get a few. Why so nervous?

You'll almost undoubtedly get a few. Why so nervous?

I applied mdphd and this is one of the few md interviews i am doing. I am much better at answering questions about my research or ethical questions. My clinical experience was mostly working in a private practice, so I don't know as much about hospitals and general healthcare issues.

Does anyone know exactly (or at least roughly) when Duke will be mailing out their decisions? Thanks.

Mid-Late March. Depending on what the decision is, it could be snail mail/email, etc. I guess rejections are snail mail and good news might be email?

Either way, looks like it'll be another month. Though, in previous years, hasn't Duke been a bit earlier? (Late Feb/Early March?)

Mid-Late March. Depending on what the decision is, it could be snail mail/email, etc. I guess rejections are snail mail and good news might be email?

Either way, looks like it'll be another month. Though, in previous years, hasn't Duke been a bit earlier? (Late Feb/Early March?)
Duke doesn't email decisions. In the past, there were some phone calls made but I believe they stopped doing that a year or two ago.

I had a ton of healthcare questions. I was really sweating their spirituality/religion questions, because I'm neither spiritual nor religious. Glad I didn't get asked anything about that.

Aww, I would have loved that. Would have spent like 15 minutes talking about Kurt Vonnegut. :laugh:

Duke doesn't email decisions. In the past, there were some phone calls made but I believe they stopped doing that a year or two ago.

Okay, so maybe it's just snail mail either way.

Re: decisions, I believe they were late Feb/early March in the past. Admissions must be a little behind this year (as it sounds like with the regional interviews being backed up).

Re: LOIs... I don't know the answer to that but both Mr Burns and I sent LOIs in and we did get in... I believe others who sent LOIs didn't... it can't hurt either way.

LOIs don't really help now, but they can potentially help if you're placed on the waitlist. But as diosa said, they won't hurt either.

You mean I need to write another LOI?!

GRR!

Oh well, at least this one will be the one I'm completely honest in.

To the Admissions Committee,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

For the above reasons stated, I feel that I would be an incredible fit for Duke and Duke for me. As such, it is my intention to withdraw from all other schools if offered a position at your fine school.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.