2008-2009 Duke Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Received the email at ~9 AM EST. I live in Crooklyn, better known as Brooklyn. Best of luck to ya'll.

EDIT: I did not receive the package yesterday (Friday), and the mail has not yet arrived today.

Did everyone who got the acceptance package receive second-look email invite today?

For those of you who got the waitlist/rejection email, did dukeMed PAS status change?

Members don't see this ad.

got the 2nd look invite email at 8:06 am today but I haven't received the acceptance packet. live in the southwest. it was from richard wallace's personal email. Seems like a mass listserve though.

got the 2nd look invite email at 8:06 am today but I haven't received the acceptance packet. live in the southwest. it was from richard wallace's personal email. Seems like a mass listserve though.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that received the package *not* gotten the second look e-mail?

Man, Duke has just decided to make this process as nerve-wracking as possible for me. No e-mail, which I take to be good news, but no letter yesterday OR today. No second look e-mail. Anyone else got the communications blackout going on here? And what are we to think about it?

I'm in the same boat and it sucks... I want some closure.

Yesterday, I took no email as good news... but after people have gotten second-look emails this morning, I'm taking it that our rejection/waitlist emails are just delayed.... which is a major bummer.

I'm in the same boat and it sucks... I want some closure.

Yesterday, I took no email as good news... but after people have gotten second-look emails this morning, I'm taking it that our rejection/waitlist emails are just delayed.... which is a major bummer.

or the second look emails are delayed ;)

Does anyone know how the waitlist works at duke

Did everyone who got the acceptance package receive second-look email invite today?

For those of you who got the waitlist/rejection email, did dukeMed PAS status change?

i got rejected, but my PAS status has not changed...still says "interview complete"....
good luck to you all!

Hooooo boy, could not be more on edge here if I tried. My thinking right now is a) yeah, Baltimore mail IS pretty terrible (and I live there as well), plus b) it seems they knew they had a big issue with rejection/wait list e-mails getting out yesterday and worked to fix it. Seems unlikely they'd take measures to send out second look e-mails before they confirmed that all the rejections/wait lists were done.

Or so wishful thinking is having me believe. But I mean, hey. We can all accost their admissions office Monday and see what they have to say for themselves. Best of luck, all.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the waitlist works at duke

All students on the waitlist were evaluated by the same process as students on the accept list, so they're already "graded" and stratified somewhat. Since Duke, like most schools, sends out more acceptances then spots in the class (because some people will decline), it'll take a little while for enough "no thank you"s to come in for them to start opening up the waitlist. Then people are selected off the waitlist first based on the prior evaluation, second on anything updated since then, and least of all demographic needs (i.e. if 10 people from the University of Kentucky were accepted and sent deposits, I wouldn't expect the first waitlistee to get accepted to be from the University of Kentucky - most schools place at least some value on diversity). Frequently the initial few waitlist moves happen in small batches.

So you are suggesting that we are all currently "ranked" based on their latest review of our file?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are suggesting that we are all currently "ranked" based on their latest review of our file?

I have heard this from the student host I was with during my interview as well (that they accept or waitlist you based on 'how much they want you' which involves some kind of ranking). He said that in that way, they treat med school admissions kind of like the residency match (ranking candidates, nonrolling admissions, etc).

Originally Posted by lishizhen
Did everyone who got the acceptance package receive second-look email invite today

I got an acceptance package and received the second-look email today as well.

I dont think anyone here yet has indicated getting the package and not the email, although it seems like there are some people who have it the other way around. Interesting...

does anyone know if Duke accept additional recommendations and LOI for waitlistees? thanks

Any fellow Duke-stonewallees hear anything? Since I didn't get the second look e-mail; assuming I'm not in, but what's keeping the bad news e-mail away?! I just want to be over and done with it already!

Any fellow Duke-stonewallees hear anything? Since I didn't get the second look e-mail; assuming I'm not in, but what's keeping the bad news e-mail away?! I just want to be over and done with it already!

I have yet to hear anything as well.... it is kind of frustrating.

I'm thinking about calling them today if I don't get an email by afternoon.

just my two cents: since the acceptances couldn't number more than 200-300 emails and the waitlists and rejects would be substantially more, not getting the 2nd look email is as good as getting a waitlist/reject.

just my two cents: since the acceptances couldn't number more than 200-300 emails and the waitlists and rejects would be substantially more, not getting the 2nd look email is as good as getting a waitlist/reject.

Well, the invisible logic at work in that claim is that if you haven't gotten an e-mail, you have no idea what kind it could be. Because there just ARE more rejection/waitlist e-mails, you're more likely to have one of those. But AS GOOD as a waitlist/reject? I dunno about that.

I can't imagine they had any LESS difficulty with the second looks, considering at least some of those are said to have come from RW's personal account as well, and given the fact that their admissions office has reportedly said "if you haven't gotten an e-mail by now, you're in," says to me they've put WAY more effort into getting all those e-mails out. That and those went out first - seems to me that they wouldn't have started sending out second looks before they thought those were taken care of.

But, I dunno. Maybe we've just slipped through the cracks. I'm waiting till the mailman comes today, and then I'm giving them a call and asking them to re-send whatever e-mail is appropriate. And then praying, lol.

Well, the invisible logic at work in that claim is that if you haven't gotten an e-mail, you have no idea what kind it could be. Because there just ARE more rejection/waitlist e-mails, you're more likely to have one of those. But AS GOOD as a waitlist/reject? I dunno about that.

I can't imagine they had any LESS difficulty with the second looks, considering at least some of those are said to have come from RW's personal account as well, and given the fact that their admissions office has reportedly said "if you haven't gotten an e-mail by now, you're in," says to me they've put WAY more effort into getting all those e-mails out. That and those went out first - seems to me that they wouldn't have started sending out second looks before they thought those were taken care of.

But, I dunno. Maybe we've just slipped through the cracks. I'm waiting till the mailman comes today, and then I'm giving them a call and asking them to re-send whatever e-mail is appropriate. And then praying, lol.

Exactly my plan as well.

Question: Did only those who applied to the MSTP receive the second look email? That might explain why there are some of us strictly MD applicants who haven't yet heard from Duke.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that is the case!

does anyone know if Duke accept additional recommendations and LOI for waitlistees? thanks

You can definitely send them in; I don't know how much it will help your application but it certainly can't hurt.

I did not have the patience to wait for the mail today, so I just called the admissions office to ask about the status of my file. The woman on the phone told me I had to wait and that the mail and email are not instant. But all decisions have gone out and I just have to wait. Also, she sounded a little irritated too, so I dont think I'll be calling back soon. Hope this helps somewhat to those of us still left in the dark.

I did not have the patience to wait for the mail today, so I just called the admissions office to ask about the status of my file. The woman on the phone told me I had to wait and that the mail and email are not instant. But all decisions have gone out and I just have to wait. Also, she sounded a little irritated too, so I dont think I'll be calling back soon. Hope this helps somewhat to those of us still left in the dark.

Yea...I waited for the mail and didn't get anything today. Neither have I received an email so I decided to call, just to check and make sure nothing was wrong. Plus, I saw everyone's postings about how nice the woman answering the phone was. When asked her, she told me "everything has been mailed within the last 48 hours, why do you think that you would have received anything by now?"

Oh well, hopefully we all find out soon...

Dammit, I was hoping a call would clear everything up. Does weird me out, however, that she said the e-mail wasn't instant. Isn't it? I dunno, call me crazy.

Yea...I waited for the mail and didn't get anything today. Neither have I received an email so I decided to call, just to check and make sure nothing was wrong. Plus, I saw everyone's postings about how nice the woman answering the phone was. When asked her, she told me "everything has been mailed within the last 48 hours, why do you think that you would have received anything by now?"

Oh well, hopefully we all find out soon...

Nothing in the mail for me either. :confused:

So.. how do we get off of this waitlist?

Question: Did only those who applied to the MSTP receive the second look email? That might explain why there are some of us strictly MD applicants who haven't yet heard from Duke.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that is the case!

I am a MD only applicant and have received all of the emails and notices. However, all of the emails did come from Mr. Wallace's personal address, so I would assume that the system is still having difficulties. Good luck everyone!

I am a MD only applicant and have received all of the emails and notices. However, all of the emails did come from Mr. Wallace's personal address, so I would assume that the system is still having difficulties. Good luck everyone!

I called as well just to see what kind of answer I would get. Basically I got the same "all emails have been sent out but they are not instant" message. The person did confirm that all accepted students will also be getting a 2nd Look email, but that isn't "instant" either.

I then tried to see if they could resend my email to me. They did not like that idea at all. I guess that we are just in limbo for the time being.

I called as well just to see what kind of answer I would get. Basically I got the same "all emails have been sent out but they are not instant" message. The person did confirm that all accepted students will also be getting a 2nd Look email, but that isn't "instant" either.

I then tried to see if they could resend my email to me. They did not like that idea at all. I guess that we are just in limbo for the time being.

Hahaha, this is why I check SDN before calling. Glad I saved myself and that office the time and effort. Weeeeell, time for another day of waiting for the mail, as today turned up empty. I think I'll spend it figuring out how e-mails are no longer instant.

Not sure if this gives anyone any hope, but I was checking on MDapps and I saw that last year 21 people recorded acceptances to Duke. This year only 7 people have been accepted to Duke. Assuming that the waitlist moves as slowly as everyone is saying (i.e. that most people accepted last year on MDapps were not from the waitlist), there should definitely be a number of people receiving good news in the near future. Let's hope that it is all of us. :xf:

Hahaha, this is why I check SDN before calling. Glad I saved myself and that office the time and effort. Weeeeell, time for another day of waiting for the mail, as today turned up empty. I think I'll spend it figuring out how e-mails are no longer instant.

I was talking to somebody today (as in a friend, not the admissions office), and they told me that this happened last year, too -- apparently he got his email 2 weeks :confused: after they were sent.

here's to hoping our wait isn't quite as painful.

Nothing here for me in San Francisco: No envelope, no emails (Good or bad). I have started to wonder how long it takes them to send 600 rejection/waitlists. Unless there has been an omission or error in it. Admissions office should be a little proactive about this. I mean we pay for this process. I just feel betrayed right now.
At the very least they should give us the real status when somebody calls instead of just saying emails are not "instant messages" I KNOW it is not instataneous but it is certainly faster than USPS mail service and doesn;t take a week to show up unless it was never sent...:mad:

Hey everyone. Earlier today I sent an email to the Duke admissions emails asking about my decision/ asking them to resend the email. I recently received an email from Richard Wallace telling me that my file has not yet been reviewed. Apparently my second interviewer never turned in my evaluation. He also said that they just submitted it and there was an emergency meeting tonight to decide my fate. I will be emailed within the next 24 hours with my decision.

So maybe some other people out there are in the same boat. I think that it sounds like they forget about me and are now going to give me the boot. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone. Earlier today I sent an email to the Duke admissions emails asking about my decision/ asking them to resend the email. I recently received an email from Richard Wallace telling me that my file has not yet been reviewed. Apparently my second interviewer never turned in my evaluation. He also said that they just submitted it and there was an emergency meeting tonight to decide my fate. I will be emailed within the next 24 hours with my decision.

So maybe some other people out there are in the same boat. I think that it sounds like they forget about me and are now going to give me the boot. Any thoughts?

this sucks... I had a feeling that something like this must have happened. I hope you get accepted. :xf:
I should email them as well, i guess, as this suspense is killing me.

This has happened in the past (specifically, to me and a group of other students who applied in 05-06). I was waitlisted and ultimately accepted (which I am telling you because I know that you're going to ask, and not because I think/know that your fate will be similar).

I would like to ask those of you who have not yet received a decision to be patient. I realize that this process is extremely frustrating, nervewracking, and emotionally traumatizing. However, please keep in mind that the admissions office is a small team of people who are doing their best to get everything out in the most timely manner possible. They make mistakes. They cannot control how the internet functions. They are not trying to torture you. Also keep in mind that in the non-SDN-world, levels of anxiety would NOT be this high because you wouldn't all KNOW that most decisions have been out for 48+ hours now. Yes, you all paid your application fees and certainly deserve a decision on your application, and you will get one, but there was never any promise that everyone would get their decision on exactly the same day. Also, rest assured that everyone's application will be reviewed fairly, regardless of whether it is looked at a few days late or not.

Duke is a great school, and I'm happy to be here. I wish all of you still waiting (and on the waitlist) the best of luck.

This has happened in the past (specifically, to me and a group of other students who applied in 05-06). I was waitlisted and ultimately accepted (which I am telling you because I know that you're going to ask, and not because I think/know that your fate will be similar).

I would like to ask those of you who have not yet received a decision to be patient. I realize that this process is extremely frustrating, nervewracking, and emotionally traumatizing. However, please keep in mind that the admissions office is a small team of people who are doing their best to get everything out in the most timely manner possible. They make mistakes. They cannot control how the internet functions. They are not trying to torture you. Also keep in mind that in the non-SDN-world, levels of anxiety would NOT be this high because you wouldn't all KNOW that most decisions have been out for 48+ hours now. Yes, you all paid your application fees and certainly deserve a decision on your application, and you will get one, but there was never any promise that everyone would get their decision on exactly the same day. Also, rest assured that everyone's application will be reviewed fairly, regardless of whether it is looked at a few days late or not.

Duke is a great school, and I'm happy to be here. I wish all of you still waiting (and on the waitlist) the best of luck.

Thanks for this email. I appreciate the support.

I completely understand that there are mistakes, however I found it funny that the admissions lady that I spoke to told me to hold on because email is not "instant; why can't your generation understand that". She then went on to say that it could take a week or so for the email to reach me. I did not know that email was traveling on the pony express now. Haha. Whatever. I appreciate all of the hard work that the admissions committee and other staff put into reviewing the massive amount of emails each year. :thumbup:

I completely understand that there are mistakes, however I found it funny that the admissions lady that I spoke to told me to hold on because email is not "instant; why can't your generation understand that". She then went on to say that it could take a week or so for the email to reach me. I did not know that email was traveling on the pony express now. Haha. Whatever. I appreciate all of the hard work that the admissions committee and other staff put into reviewing the massive amount of emails each year. :thumbup:

what email address did you send your concern to?

Yeah I don't really get it either... but who knows. I think the year I applied they wouldn't take calls from people claiming to not have received a decision until about a week after they were sent, so that they could determine who really didn't get a decision and who just had a decision stuck in the mail somewhere... but decisions were all sent snail mail then...

Well done, rp... I am thinking about emailing and doing the same, as most of you guys had useless information when calling.

That makes things a little anxious with the 24 hour deadline.

Good luck!

Well done, rp... I am thinking about emailing and doing the same, as most of you guys had useless information when calling.

That makes things a little anxious with the 24 hour deadline.

Good luck!

Actually, I am just glad to know that I will have a decision in the next 24 hours. Whether it is good or bad, at least I will know my fate. Good luck to everyone else as well. Maybe some luck will come my way on St. Patty's Day tomorrow. :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

EDIT: Quote removed at RP's request

Poor form, man. It's not a good idea to copy/paste people's private emails to you in public forums, especially when they have a disclaimer at the bottom explicitly asking you not to. One of the consequences of doing this (not only you, but many on SDN), is that adcom members may be more wary with communicating with students in the future. Also, if the Duke adcom wanted to know who you were, they would be able to do so with almost no effort now. It would only take a few keystrokes for them to look at every post you've made on this website.

I wonder when my pre-med paranoia will wear off...

Last edited:
So my fate has been determined....rejected.

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting :luck:

So my fate has been determined....rejected.

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting :luck:

When did you receive the email??... that was way too fast!

I'm sorry to hear the news, but it looks like you got some other great options at hand.

Haha, and here I was hoping they'd be notifying ALL of those of us who've not heard. Ah well, guess I should be grateful to still have a shot.

Anyone know about Duke's mysterious full merit scholarships? Do we have to submit financial aid for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.