2008-2009 Johns Hopkins Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does hopkins call for any other reason? like waitlist or rejection?

I don't actually know, but I highly doubt any school would take the time to call you just to give you bad news.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know around how many people they put on the waitlist?

they don't call for waitlist or rejection, but i guess it's possible they could call to confirm financial aid info or something along those lines. but i would guess a call could pretty safely be assumed to be an acceptance.

as far as the waitlist goes, i know that a huge proportion of their class comes off the waitlist (if i remember rightly, it's close to 1/3). out of about 700 interviews, 120 students matriculate, and 200 acceptances are given out. not sure how many waitlists but it has to be a pretty good number if 40ish people come off it, considering that most will not choose to stay on the waitlist and wait in limbo until june (june 1 is the absolute earliest you can get off the waitlist, and they have to check with your current school acceptance first 2-3 weeks before they tell you)

this is all from my notes from interview day, hopefully they're accurate! someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
(june 1 is the absolute earliest you can get off the waitlist, and they have to check with your current school acceptance first 2-3 weeks before they tell you)

Wow, really? Why 2-3 weeks?

Do you guys know when Hopkins will ask if we want to stay on the waitlist? I remember reading April (don't have my WL letter on me).

This is a stupid question, but is it not possible to stay on the waitlist of one school if you have accepted an offer at another school?

missed the first call, but I'm in!:laugh:

good luck to the rest of you guys waiting to hear back!

Dude, congrats! That's freakin' huge! Did they leave a voicemail?

Congrats!! Your PM was a little ambiguous, but now it all makes sense!

Whoooo!

Congrats to you and all the new admits!!!!!!!!

Make your way over to the allopathic class thread! See you at revisit! (Will you be there?) Are you set on Hopkins?

Wow, really? Why 2-3 weeks?

they said that out of courtesy for other schools, they had to give them enough time to find someone else to fill your place should they need to...at least that's what i got out of their explanation. i wouldn't have though they'd need that long, i'm pretty sure every school has someone on their waitlist dying for a place!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in late February and am wishing for the best. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to join such a fantastic institution. :xf::xf:

Last edited:
rejection letter yesterday, interviewed late Jan. Oh well, kind of saw it coming....good luck to everyone still waiting! And waitlist people, hang in there, I know a ton of people who got in off the waitlist and are loving being at Hopkins right now!

Anyone still anxiously waiting for their decisions?

i interviewed on the same day.... they said first week of April right?

I'm not sure. All I remember was her saying we would hear in April, I don't remember her saying any specific time.

I interviewed in early March, and they told us we'd have to wait 6-8 weeks.

I was told that the committee meets the 2nd week of April, so we'll probably be hearing back sometime after that...

p.s. I am in love with Dean Hicks who interviewed me. :) Isn't she the sweetest lady you've ever met?

I was told that the committee meets the 2nd week of April, so we'll probably be hearing back sometime after that...

It's the 2nd week of April, has anyone heard anything?

It's the 2nd week of April, has anyone heard anything?

I just received an email at 2:00pm with the subject "Important Message from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine" that begins:

This message has been sent at the request of Dean Hermione Hicks, however, please confirm receipt of e-mail to Ms. Valerie Mazza at [email protected]. Thank you.

Greetings! Soon we will have the pleasure of welcoming the Class of 2013 to Johns Hopkins. I am writing to provide you with some information as you prepare to start your first year of medical school.

...and then goes on to give orientation information and an application for housing next year. The email concludes saying:

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you. I hope that you enjoy your summer ahead, and we look forward to seeing you on AUGUST 17.

I interviewed on February 26th and have not yet received any updates on my application status prior to receipt of this email. Has anyone else received this email, and does anybody know if this indicates that an admissions decision has been made?

I just received an email at 2:00pm with the subject "Important Message from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine" that begins:

This message has been sent at the request of Dean Hermione Hicks, however, please confirm receipt of e-mail to Ms. Valerie Mazza at [email protected]. Thank you.

Greetings! Soon we will have the pleasure of welcoming the Class of 2013 to Johns Hopkins. I am writing to provide you with some information as you prepare to start your first year of medical school.

...and then goes on to give orientation information and an application for housing next year. The email concludes saying:

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you. I hope that you enjoy your summer ahead, and we look forward to seeing you on AUGUST 17.

I interviewed on February 26th and have not yet received any updates on my application status prior to receipt of this email. Has anyone else received this email, and does anybody know if this indicates that an admissions decision has been made?

You're in. Congrats.

You're in. Congrats.

Thanks! Just got confirmation from the Office of Admissions but still haven't received call from Dean Hicks, although they said I should be receiving one sometime in the near future.

Did anyone else receive the email or the call from Dean Hicks?

So if we didn't receive an email does that mean waitlisted or rejected? Or, are they going to give out more acceptances in the upcoming weeks?

interviewed 3/5 and haven't heard anything yet. I'll assume that's a bad thing!

Either way, I left with an amazing impression of the school, and I'll remain in love Dean Hicks. :love:

Don't stress too much! We'll all be docs, and damn good ones no matter where we go. :)

also interviewed 3/5 and haven't heard anything...I'm also assuming it's a bad thing. At the same time, no one has posted saying they got a call recently, so who knows!

bump

Anyone receive more updates? Calls / wait list / rejections? It has been pretty quiet on this thread

Does anybody think we should call them if we haven't heard yet? I don't want to be annoying. :p

Got the waitlist letter today.
interviewed 3/5, letter postmarked 4/15

Were we waitlisted people supposed to get a letter/form to confirm we want to stay on? Or is that not until May?

Got the call tonight. Accepted!! :) I feel warm and fuzzy inside....Dean Hicks is the sweetest woman in the world....

Got the call tonight. Accepted!! :) I feel warm and fuzzy inside....Dean Hicks is the sweetest woman in the world....

Congrats!! :cool:
do you mind letting us know when you interviewed? I called the office today and they said by the end of this week

I received a call on Wednesday, interviewed 02/13. Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone!

Any news? Has anyone got off the waitlist yet?

I remember hearing from multiple sources that waitlist movement doesn't start until early June, so I'm trying to limit how much I think about it until then. Good luck to everyone!

Come on waitlist!!!

The wait is driving me nuts. :eek:

I've seen a couple references to calls being made on Thursdays... Is this the official good news day of the week?

Hopeful, I was in the exact same boat as you this time last year. I hope my little piece of advice is helpful :rolleyes:

I don't know about Thursdays--I was called on a Tuesday last year. They keep calling until about the end of July so a) please please try not to freak out for two months and enjoy your summer but b) don't give up hope!

Sounds contradictory, but by the time mid-July rolled around last year I had stopped carrying my phone with me in my lab coat and checking sdn compulsively. June was not a fun month, which I regretted when school started and I didn't get my full relaxing summer!

Good luck to everyone and have a fun summer! I have to go study for my four exams in five days. See what you have to look forward to?

Does anyone by chance know if applicants have been taken off the WL since 5/15 or if the class is currently overbooked??? Was hoping for WL movement, but looks like all is quiet on the Hopkins front... UGH :(

Good Luck Everyone

Hopkins didn't want the last round of waitlist forms (for those of us who interviewed in March and heard back in late April) back until May 20th, so assuming they waited a few days for letters to get back in to Baltimore, they've only had a bit over two weeks including the long weekend to fill up the class (which I realize, as someone who was waiting on a school until last week, feels like an eternity).

Good luck to all of you waiting to hear back from JHU.

I called the Hopkins Admissions Office last week to find out the what the real story on movement is this year-- checking the forums was making me crazy! The admissions staff I spoke to said that there had not been any movement so far (06/02/09). Unfortunately for those of us on the waitlist, the person I spoke with said they anticipate having little if any movement this year due to an abnormally high retention rate of accepted students. The class is apparently still overbooked and no movement will occur until/unless the class size dips below 120. As frustrating as it is, it sounds like the Hopkins waitlist won't be going anywhere quickly. :(

haha, complete silence after that last post.

Guys, cheer up! No matter where you go, how happy and how good you are depends on what you make of it. EVERYbody should bring out the best in you.

Just my two cents (sorry if I sounded didactic). I just want us to look forward (wherever that is) and be excited about it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.