2008-2009 Stanford Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for people who are still waiting to hear back for interviews... i sent in an in the area email per a UCSF interview invite, and Stanford emailed me back and basically said... "No." 🙄

Aw, sorry 🙁

"No" as in they cant expedite a decision, or "No" as in "no, we're not going to interview you at all"? I hope its the former 🙂


Is anybody brave enough to call and ask whether they will be offering acceptances this week? I'm going to try and wait patiently...
 
No as in they basically told me I was this banana;

:diebanana:

no. (Rejection)

That being said, I'm still stoked about hearing back from UCSF 🙂
 
Not for me.

Stanford has such a small class size, so they accept so few people... and SDN is such a narrow sliver of the applicant pool...

Hard to extrapolate.


If they've already started accepting people who interviewed in mid-November, then they must have already decided on the October and early-November interviewees by now though. I'm guessing that if I don't hear back by tonight, then I've probably been rejected (or waitlisted, at best). 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If they've already started accepting people who interviewed in mid-November, then they must have already decided on the October and early-November interviewees by now though. I'm guessing that if I don't hear back by tonight, then I've probably been rejected (or waitlisted, at best). 🙁

Aren't you pessimistic?

1) Dr. Garcia may not have time to call everybody all at once. I wouldn't assume rejeciton/waitlist if you don't hear back tonight. They promised us we'd hear back by January, so I'd give it until at least January!

2) Maybe they didn't go in order. Both of the acceptees so far interviewed in mid-Nov. Maybe they discussed the more recent ones first. Or maybe those people just got called first. It's weird, but Baylor also accepted a batch of more recent interviewees before they accepted a batch from the 1st interview date. It's anecdotal evidence based on SDN data, but it's still a thought.
 
Maybe it's like UCLA, which did a small pre-admit. Since Stanford's class is smaller, I'd imagine that they only extended phone calls to their top 10 - 20 choices...meanwhile, the rest of us wait until January for the big batch. Not being notified this week just means they don't really, really, want us -- but they still may deign to have us in the class 🙂

:xf:
 
Aren't you pessimistic?

1) Dr. Garcia may not have time to call everybody all at once. I wouldn't assume rejeciton/waitlist if you don't hear back tonight. They promised us we'd hear back by January, so I'd give it until at least January!

2) Maybe they didn't go in order. Both of the acceptees so far interviewed in mid-Nov. Maybe they discussed the more recent ones first. Or maybe those people just got called first. It's weird, but Baylor also accepted a batch of more recent interviewees before they accepted a batch from the 1st interview date. It's anecdotal evidence based on SDN data, but it's still a thought.


Maybe it's like UCLA, which did a small pre-admit. Since Stanford's class is smaller, I'd imagine that they only extended phone calls to their top 10 - 20 choices...meanwhile, the rest of us wait until January for the big batch. Not being notified this week just means they don't really, really, want us -- but they still may deign to have us in the class 🙂


I hope you guys are right.
 
i'm just hoping for an interview here =(

its looking pretty unlikely though 🙁
 
Shemarty, is Stanford your top choice? I really don't think you need to worry about anything!
 
Does Stanford send interview emails, or is this info available on the status page?

I believe they send both an email and later you receive more information via snail mail. At least, that is how I was notified. Hope that helps and good luck!
 
Are there any lurkers here who have received an acceptance recently? If so, please post so that we can try to get a sense of what is going on right now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does somebody want to try calling them tomorrow? I already emailed awhile ago and was told I could call in early January. I don't want to bother them by calling them this early...
 
Does somebody want to try calling them tomorrow? I already emailed awhile ago and was told I could call in early January. I don't want to bother them by calling them this early...

Maybe we should heed their suggestion to wait until January... hard as it may be... 🙄
 
I don't know of anyone who's heard anything from Stanford, so I'd just take it easy if I were you guys. They told me I wouldn't get a decision until Feb. I'm not holding out any hope though. That school was fancy-pants, and I am not.
 
I don't know of anyone who's heard anything from Stanford, so I'd just take it easy if I were you guys. They told me I wouldn't get a decision until Feb. I'm not holding out any hope though. That school was fancy-pants, and I am not.

Haha, "fancy-pants"?

The people here are so nice 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know of anyone who's heard anything from Stanford, so I'd just take it easy if I were you guys. They told me I wouldn't get a decision until Feb. I'm not holding out any hope though. That school was fancy-pants, and I am not.

hehe i'm not waiting for a decision, i'm waiting for an interview invite 🙁

good luck to you though! =)
 
Dulcina and Berk I'm with you... Stanford and Hopkins are the only schools not to show me any love 🙁. I know I shouldn't be complaining, but pretty please send me and interview invite at the very least???

And to top it off my dad is moving to San Francisco, so that just adds to the sting!
 
For those still waiting for an invite, this may give you hope. I received a wonderful surprise from Stanford just after Christmas, after being complete since October. I thought it was a silent rejection from them, but I guess I was wrong. I am very excited now 🙂!
 
Does anyone know what is the purpose of the meeting with the admissions counselor at the end of the interview day? It totally took me by surprise, and I may have behaved kind of weirdly as a result.
 
Yea, they call it a "wrap-up" and that's exactly what it is.

Is it one-on-one for everybody? Mine was, but there was only one other interviewee on my interview day.
 
My MS2 friend who's a med student interviewer at Stanford just told me that one of his interviewees got in. As in, the admissions office sent him an email notifying that his interviewee got in. The interviewee probably doesn't know yet, though.

So, at least this means that the committee had a meeting, some decisions have been made, and hopefully we be hearing something one way or the other soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My MS2 friend who's a med student interviewer at Stanford just told me that one of his interviewees got in. As in, the admissions office sent him an email notifying that his interviewee got in. The interviewee probably doesn't know yet, though.

So, at least this means that the committee had a meeting, some decisions have been made, and hopefully we be hearing something one way or the other soon.

what's your friend's name? 🙂
 
how about what date he interviewed on? =)

I actually asked, and he said he forgot. Lets just all wait patiently until next week :xf:

At least we know that some decisions were made, so something should be happening soon. It's better than being totally in the dark 🙂
 
No one who interviewed in early-mid October has heard anything if I recall. I just hope it's not because we weren't up to snuff. *ulp*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.